Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
For those of you who have Dish 6000's now and are thinking of upgrading to a 811, my advice to you would be WAIT.

For those of you needing DVI to hook up to your HDTV or you want access to Dish Home Interactive services I say go for an 811.

The 811 looks just like a Dish 6000 but the case is a different color, and it looks like this because it basicaly is a second generation 6000 unit.

This new 811 adds a few new features such as OpenTV so you can access Dish Networks new Interactive services, it also adds a DVI output.

The 811 is a Dish 6000 running basically the same software as the 301, infact the screens on a 811 and 301 are the same. The operation though is of a 6000, just think of it as a 301 and 6000 cloned together.

Because there was no OTA antenna hooked up I was unable to test the OTA features of the 811.

The 811 will have a 2 day guide upon its release, but for you 6000 owners it appears there will be an upgrade in the not to distant future to add two day support to your 6000.

So again if your a 6000 owner and are happy with it, stick with the 6000, if you want interactive TV or DVI then the 811 is for you. If you are reading this in the future and are thinking of becoming a Dish Customer you will want the 811.

Below is a screen shot of the 811's guide (notice Discovery HD in the guide) :)

Any firm(er) release date for the 811? Any idea of packages/prices for new customers interested in the 811?

I can't wait to get HD going to my projectore, but I really want the DVI.

November 1st was the announced date at the show. $399 is the price and I would expect some existing customer offers after the holidays.

Don't ya have anymore 811 screenshots? Also how was the speed of changing channels as compared to the 6000?

Does it have single/dual digit channel mapping for locals? How about picture in guide?
Also, when you say "wait", Scott, is it because of a price drop/promo after the holidays or because of something else?

Nope no more pictures of the 811 unfortunately.

Channel changing speed seemed to be the same as the 6000.

Since there was not antenna hooked up for OTA channels I was unable to try that feature, but I did ask and was told tuning would be just like the 6000.

Yes I expect a promo after the Holidays. :)

As far as fan noise, it was impossible to tell because the 811 was setup in the middle of a convention center and there was about 1000 people walking by.

Again if you can live without OpenTV and DVI and want a HD receiver I would take advantage of the $199 ($149 for some) deal. :)

I can't; I just sold my $149 6000 on eBay for $500. I figure the profit is enough to smooth over not being able to watch HD for a couple of months :p

6000 w/2 day guide

They must be getting very good guide compression rates if they are going to get 2 days of guide in memory where before they could only get 3 hours.

When they were working on the compressed guide, I thought it was just the stream, guess I was wrong.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No smartcard on ANY of the new Dish Receivers (except of course the 510)

And I'll bet that the chips that contains the information that the smartcard did are sealed in epoxy.

The new recievers are not going to end hacking completely but they will go a long way towards that goal.

Scott Greczkowski said:

I can see whats going to happen already :D

customer: I have problem xyz
csr: would you pull your smartcard please
cust: what smartcard.
csr: its behind the door
cust: There is nothing there??
csr: I'll have to send you a new one, it will be $$$

:shock:

n0qcu said:
Scott Greczkowski said:

I can see whats going to happen already :D

customer: I have problem xyz
csr: would you pull your smartcard please
cust: what smartcard.
csr: its behind the door
cust: There is nothing there??
csr: I'll have to send you a new one, it will be $$$

:shock:

:D good point Kevin

How to get the 149 or 199 deal

Scott Greczkowski said:

Again if you can live without OpenTV and DVI and want a HD receiver I would take advantage of the $199 ($149 for some) deal. :)

Can you tell me how to get this 199 or 149 offer for HD receiver. I am an existing customer but want to upgrade to HD receiver. That sounds like an amazing deal!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes I expect a promo after the Holidays. :)

Any idea if these promos will be for new customers too? I'm glad to see Dish doing right by their existing customers, but there's not many good options right now for someone like me who is wanting to switch from non-HD cable to Dish-HD. Thanks.

Harmon

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes Harmon from what I understand there will be new customer specials too. :)

Hope you will join us. :D

Thanks, Scott. I plan to. These specials won't be offered until after the first of the year though? Not sure if I can wait that long. :rolleyes:

Harmon

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes Harmon from what I understand there will be new customer specials too. :)

Hope you will join us. :D

I am sorry Scott, can you tell me how did you get this information about the 199 or 149 deal for existing customers? Dont see it on their web site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)