Existing 921/942 Subs: Satisfied with Upgrade Path?

As an existing sub with 921/942 receiver(s), what think ye of the Dish upgrade path?

• Very satisfied with what Dish is offering to me

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • Somewhat satisfied with the deal

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • Somewhat dissatisfied, deal should be sweetened a bit

Votes: 41 21.0%
  • Very dissatisfied, feel devalued as an existing customer

Votes: 109 55.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Please only respond to this poll if you presently own or lease one or more 921 or 942 HD DVR receivers and either are a current subscriber to Dish or were a subscriber who left recently because of the announced MPEG4 upgrade path.

Dish is offering to upgrade one of your 921/942 receivers per year to a leased 622 for $299. Or you may wait until April to be eligible for a $200 rebate, bringing the upgrade cost down to $99. This upgrade will include an upgrade to your satellite dish and switches to a D1000 dish if it is deemed necessary, for no extra cost.

There is no trade-in or discount program for an owned 9xx receiver for a non-leased 622. The upgrade path for multiple 9xx receivers is that you are eligible for one $299/$99 lease upgrade, but you would have to purchase addition 622's for $699 each.

In the meantime, you will be unable to view any of the 7 new HD channels, and your existing 921/942 receivers cannot be sold to anyone else and activated by them to receive present HD programming.

How do you feel about this upgrade path?

Last edited:
I feel the upgrade path is worthless
Dish isnt "better tv for all" their "screw existing subs at all costs treat new customer good till day 3 then they dont count"

that being said i did spend 299 for a 622 on feb 10th
i also have to trade in 1000 and 4000 recievers

921/942 owners should get a 622 for free
600/811 owners should get a 211 for free
all leases should be swapped out for free as well
fair is fair

I checked somewhat Satisfied.
Why ? :
On the -ve side:mad:
I feel the not allowing me to see the HD channels before they truly go MPEG 4 is being greedy.
I do, not understand why they want to charge me $99, just to send me a box,i would pay P&P. I expected some relief as they don't have to send anybody out to me. I already have Dish1000 as, i suspect, most of the 942 users probably do.

On the +ve side:)
I have an already set expectation that it would cost me something and an 18 month commitment seems fair to me.
Being able to keep my 942 and "put to pasture" my older single tuner DVR as a positive. I get a better TV experience.

I've been following many threads here with great interest. I especially appreciate the warning to new E* customers thread started by Walt.

With that said, my situation is this: I'm a fairly new sub, only about 7 months. So I don't have the "been screwed multiple times" experience just yet and I don't feel too much anger at this point. I certainly wish I could receive all of the channels, on my 942, that I'm paying for but I've been assured (in writing) that I will be able to upgrade to the 622 come April 1. Hope I don't turn out to be the fool.

So overall, I'm somewhat dissatisfied at this point and have my eyes wide open. Thanks to this great forum, Scott, and the rest of you folks, I'm hoping to protect my posterior from any harm... at least until the next upgrade (hurry up FiOS).

Being the owner of a 942, two 921's and an 811, I'd like an option for "F*CK NO!", please.

I've indicated that I am extremely dissatisfied with the upgrade path.

1. I want to upgrade my 811 to an HD DVR.
2. I want to upgrade my 921 on the principal that I paid $1,000 for a DVR that Dish Network failed to enable or develop features listed as "for future use", then dropped the price three months after I made my purchase. It has never operated free of defects.

I want to upgrade 'both' of my units, the 811 and the 921, to two 622s and am willing to pay $299 for one and $99 (after rebate) for the other, but Dish will only allow me to upgrade one.

Nope. But then again I can't even get a usable signal in light rain on 129 with a D1000. After 4 different installers. I am pondering what to do next. DirecTv offers no advantages that I see. The only option seems to be to wait and see how the 622 shakes down. I like my 942 and would not mind having two HD DVR's, but first I need a separate dish for the 129 satellite.

Then there seems to be some problem providing HD network feeds for white areas. I get network feeds NY and LA and I surely can't understand why they would withhold them.

This seems like a company with severe growing pains in need of competent management. $.02

downriver said:
Nope. But then again I can't even get a usable signal in light rain on 129 with a D1000. After 4 different installers. I am pondering what to do next. DirecTv offers no advantages that I see. The only option seems to be to wait and see how the 622 shakes down. I like my 942 and would not mind having two HD DVR's, but first I need a separate dish for the 129 satellite.

Then there seems to be some problem providing HD network feeds for white areas. I get network feeds NY and LA and I surely can't understand why they would withhold them.

This seems like a company with severe growing pains in need of competent management. $.02

The installers suck i had to do mine myself with the installers watching me!! They said they never did one and boy i sure believed them!

StevenD said:
Being the owner of a 942, two 921's and an 811, I'd like an option for "F*CK NO!", please.

I just got one each 942/811, but I'll gladly take the same option you propose! :mad:

Not only very dissatisfied with upgrade path options but also with the very unprofessional manner it's being implemented.

Many / most csrs didn't (still don't) have correct information.
Many / most dealers didn't even know about the promos (at least in my area) and few that did, didn't have correct information.
Coincidentially Dish had HD DNS available for most of "day # 1" which (in at least a few cases) convinced some to go with 211 now instead of waiting for 622 promo.

One thing Dish could have done that would have probably taken a good chunk off the disatisfied customer list was to offer some kind of deal where existing HD DVR subs could get a 211 now for temporary use until 622s were available. This would have been a fair way for them to at least have access to the new HD instead of being made to wait, which I think is the biggest source of anger.

Somewhat satisfied because the $49 and $99 upgrade costs are reasonable

My only problem(s) are:

1) only being able to upgrade 1 receiver ( I have three HD sets w/ one 942 and two 811's)

2) having to wait till April for the $200 rebate because of #1. I would upgrade at least one of my 811's to a 211 now to get the new programming, but would jeopardize my chance at a 622 for $99.

3) unclear as to whether I can keep my leased 942 and still get the $200 rebate on April 1st

4) HD DNS. Up in the air as to when and if.

No big rush to upgrade since the channels are not very compelling to me and locals/distants in HD are not available in the near future. I'll wait till April. Things will probably have changed by then anyway.

I have mixed feelings about this, originally I was pleased but I'm more dissatisfied with the new package options than the receive upgrade. To me, $99 to upgrade a receiver (which I by the way obtained for $250 in Dec 05) isn't too bad.

The things I'm not too thrilled about are:

1. Waiting till April for this "promotion" to kick in. However, if the first batch of receivers is bad maybe waiting isn't a bad idea.
2. I don't think I want VOOM...but I do want what I get now in the HD Pack, plus Universal HD and ESPN2, and perhaps other non-VOOM programming. I just don't think I'll watch VOOM that much, but I have no choice because it is packaged together.

Some days I want to cancel Dish, and just deal with OTA HD and my analog cable that I need anyway for Internet connection via Comcast for the only other two channels I watch occasionally -Sci-Fi and Comedy. I can drop all the rest and be happy. Other days I think well maybe there is some crap on VOOM that I'll watch, so wouldn't it be nice...and I honestly do really like the 942 from a usability/feature perspective...

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet - but I wish they broke out VOOM still in some way, or allowed the other HD channels to be purchased a-la-carte.

Voted, Very dissatisfied as most I'm sure are feeling. The best thing I ever did was install a Channel Master as advised by many here and the picture and echumm price (free) is awesome but unfortunately for many they cannot receive the nectar via antenna. Dish has screwed more people than George W. has in my Op.

They should have been handing them out to us like party favours and replacing all units folks have for free with no commitment and no charge. The channels they offer are not all that, Voom was nice for about a month but has become redundant since so I guess Universal will be all that is coming for me and this so called upgrade.

I own a 942 and lease a 811. I have two HD tv's.

If I can upgrade to a 622 in April and KEEP my owned 942 then I will be somewhat satisfied. They can have the 811 back. Even if this happens, I will only be able to get the new programming I will have to pay for on 1 TV, not on both!

However, I have not seen anything that is definate about the return a receiver issue. Reading the thread about upgrade experiences, I see that some are having to send back a receiver, so we will have to see how that turns out. Not to mention that we are two months away from April. Dish has a documented record of going back on their annoucements in less than two months time.

I also have no need for a Dish 1000, as I already have a Dish 500 and a wing dish for 61.5 (that I paid for myself). I can happily connect the boxes myself. So the $99 fee seems twice what it should be.

I am also not happy with the new HD packages. I find little on VOOM that is of interest to me. I know some people love it, but I just don't find a lot on that interests me. So my HD package cost is going to double, with only one channel that "compels" me. So I may not upgrade at all. But if the outlined scenario above happens, I would still consider it somewhat acceptable, even if I don't do it. On a positive note, I do love my 942. It makes my life more pleasant. :)

KeithInDallas said:
I am also not happy with the new HD packages. I find little on VOOM that is of interest to me. I know some people love it, but I just don't find a lot on that interests me. So my HD package cost is going to double, with only one channel that "compels" me. So I may not upgrade at all. But if the outlined scenario above happens, I would still consider it somewhat acceptable, even if I don't do it. On a positive note, I do love my 942. It makes my life more pleasant. :)
VOOM may not be for everyone, but you must admit that it adds to the overall diversity of the HD package. Personally, I never watch 85% of the cable channels and I am still having to pay for them. Plus, least everyone forget, the price includes ESPN2HD, Universal HD, and should include more HD channels later this year (with should being the operative word in that sentence): MTVHD?, StarzHD?, HGTVHD? FOODHD?, NATGEOHD, etc. MTV, Universal, HGTV and FOOD are worthless to me...however, whenever start feeling this way I remember the day I purchasing my new HDTV four years ago only to discover I had to install an outdoor antenna in order to receive HD from the local broadcaster 55+ miles away. Even then, there were only a handful of primetime shows available and not much else. VOOM DBS was (the Va Va VOOM package had everything), but I would have killed for a HD DVR like the 942.

While I'm not happy with the upgrade path for 942 owners and most of their lower-tier and HD stand-alone pricing policies, I can't complain with their DishHD lineup. I currently have AT60 due to the Lifetime dispute, but if I were to go back to AEP (aka DishHD Platinum or whatever), the price increase with three HD receivers would only be $5.01 more per month ($122.98 vice $117.97). Given that Uncle Sam provided me with a 4.1% cost of living allowing increase for my military pension ~and~ using the government cost of living allowance as a baseline (remember how much the price of oil & gas have risen this past year), that means the price of my AEP with HD Pak and VOOM Pak (aka DishHD Platinum) went up a grand total of 17.5 cents after adjusting for inflation. In other words, for a little more than 17 cents they've added 7 HD channels to the lineup...with more rumored to be on the way.

Ok, I'm not defending the 921/942 owners upgrade plan....it sucks!; Nor am I defending their asinine policy of paying $5 for locals when I have two OTA antennas and receive programming from 4 DMAs; Nor am I defending the pricing structure and fees associated with their lower-tier DishHD packages. However, if you like HD and you want a HD DVR (one or more) then the DishHD Platinum package isn't such a bad deal...actually, it's the only one that makes sense after getting nickeled and dimed paying for a lesser package.

Hmmm. If you ask my opinion, I think E* wants all of their HD customers to subscribe to DishHD Platinum...they are almost forcing the issue. Also, as much as we complaint (BTW, I'm one of them) what are the alternatives? For me Adelphia and DirecTV are non-players and FiOS TV is still another 12-24 months away. Oh, and that 17 cents will also cover HD LIL for those needing them.

I have two HDTV sets and own an 811 and a 921 (the $1000 version)...but as I understand things, E* only wants to let me upgrade to one leased box. That's just wrong. If I were to upgrade now to receive the new channels...it's a no brainer to upgrade the DVR. Whoops...there are no DVRs available at this time. :mad: So, I guess E* hopes people will use their only upgrade of the year for a 211 and then have to purchase the 622 if/when it ever becomes available. WTG Dish...NOT! :down

Larry said:
I have two HDTV sets and own an 811 and a 921 (the $1000 version)...but as I understand things, E* only wants to let me upgrade to one leased box. That's just wrong. If I were to upgrade now to receive the new channels...it's a no brainer to upgrade the DVR. Whoops...there are no DVRs available at this time. :mad: So, I guess E* hopes people will use their only upgrade of the year for a 211 and then have to purchase the 622 if/when it ever becomes available. WTG Dish...NOT! :down
I own three HD sets and lease a 942 and two 811s. Here is the only plan that makes sense give our viewing habbits:

- OTA viewing and recording (50%) - local news, CSI, Cold Case, Ghost Whisperer, Invasion, etc.
- Anything else HD (30%)
- Lifetime Channels (20%)
- I hate having to pay $5 for locals in order to receive EPG, but those are the rules.

Now that Dish Network has reimbursed us $64.02 (long story), and all indications say that FiOS TV is 12-24 months away, we can go with the DishHD Platinum and:

1. Purchase a 622 ($649) in order to receive all the new HD channels on our main TV.
2. Upgrade the 942 to a 622 post the April 1st $200 rebate offer ($99). This will be in the home theater room and I can record HD movies and Scooby-doo for the kids.
3. Retain an 811 receiver for use in the bedroom.

~OR~

* We can go OTA and lifeline cable only, but we would still have to shell out $699 for a Sony ATSC/QAM, HD DVR, with TV Guide.

There really are our only two choices....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)