Existing customer (522) Question before I upgrade to 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sobonefnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
PA
I have been out of the loop for a few months but, with winter coming soon I am ready to switch in to couch potato mode. Anyways, I currently have a 522. I want to upgrade to a 622 (I recently bought a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV). Can some of you please tell me the most strategic way to go about this upgrade. I know the last I checked, Dish was still not offering existing customer anything on the 622. I did hear something about a $10 discount on HD programming for the first 10 months. Can anyone help/suggest/clarify this for me. Thanks in advance.

Also, I subscribew to MLB extra innings. So networks broadcast games in HD, will receive those in HD also???

Last edited:
More likely than not it'll be $199-$299 for you to upgrade to a 622 receiver. Luckily the install will be easy since all the tech will have to do is swap out the receiver. Don't know if they offer a shipped option on the 622 yet (last I checked they didn't) but that could bring your cost down.

papalittle said:
upgrade from a 522 to a 622...ummmmmm no big difference there. pretty much the same box. now upgrade to a 625 is a whole different monster.

U-U-U-H - I believe you have your receivers swapped. 625 is a 522 with VOD. 622 is an HD receiver.

papalittle said:
upgrade from a 522 to a 622...ummmmmm no big difference there. pretty much the same box. now upgrade to a 625 is a whole different monster.
Please explain the 622 is the new VIP Mpeg 4 HD receiver. I think you might be confused papalittle with think the 522 and the 625 are basic the same.

sobonefnet said:
I know the last I checked, Dish was still not offering existing customer anything on the 622. I did hear something about a $10 discount on HD programming for the first 10 months.

There is a 10 buck a month rebate which takes a while to actually get in the system and started.

And I think the upgrade for $199 can't be classified as as not offering anything. The 622 is a $450 unit so $199 is pretty good when you consider the labor and antenna upgrade should be part of the deal.

sobonefnet said:
What direction does the Dish 1000 point in? I have very limited visibility.

Sobonefnet,

In PA you will need a seperate Dish to pickup the HD channels from 61.5 as the satellites' footprint at 129 does NOT reach PA or anybody NORTH and or EAST of PA. Even if you can receive a little signal from 129, with the Dish 1000 your reception will be spotty at best as the Dish1000 is optimized for receiving Three Orbital slots and does NOT get as much signal as a seperate DISH for 129.

You will keep your current Dish and add a second Dish and get either a DPP44 or a Dish Pro 34 switch.

John

Is the seperate dish larger or smaller than the 500? Does anyone have any pics of the 500/extra HD dish config?

Does anyone know if the games broadcasted w/MLB Extra inngings are in HD? Like NESN (Red Sox) for example, they broadcast everything in HD.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll be getting any regional sports network games in HD since Dish currently doesn't carry any of them that I'm aware of in HD format. You'll probably get the playoff games in HD since Dish does have Fox in HD and if they didn't you could possibly pick it up off air.

In PA, you'll use two Dish500s. One to pick up 110 & 119. The other to pick up 61.5. This setup works much better than trying to get a 129 signal. It's your only choice in PA, and the better choice for other places as well. The 1000 is a larger, more oval dish, but you can't (& don't want to) use it.

Rumor has it that Dish will be offering RSNs in HD "soon." FWIW.

Thats for the info. Now, I have a 500 now that points south (standard programming) with the addtional 500 which direction will it point in compared to my existing 500?

Well. I got my 622 installed today. They used a Dish 1000 - it seems to be working good (haven't lost signal). I was watching the Mets/Dodgers game on ESPN-HD. It will take a little while to get used to the score in the top left corner not being where it is on standard def.

Now, to try and get my home theater stuff re-organized.

Look at this link. Most of PA should not use the 1000. If you are in an excluded area, call and complain immediately, and get a 61.5. It would be to your advantage to complain about poor reception anyway, and get the 61.5. 129 off the 1000 will be marginal for you, based upon previous posts by others.

I am in a color shaded area. What is the advantage to getting 61.5? And how to go about complaining about it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)