Existing Customer: Dish HD Options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MNHTUG

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
What are my options for HD as an existing Dish Network customer? We have no HD capable Dish receivers at this time. We own all our stuff. What are my options and what path is the most cost effective. With Voom going away, we need to get a plan in place.

Dish 'N it Up.

Lease a an 811 receiver for $5 a month and get the HD pack with a $5 credit for 12 months.

We own our currently subscribedequipment. Do we have the option to lease an 811? My understanding was Own or Lease, you can't do both.

existing subs that own equipment can add lease equipment.

Login to your account on dishnetwork.com and read about it under the equipment upgrades section.

Just logged in. Not much info there but you look to be correct. We will be calling E* tomorrow to get an 811. Thanks much for your reply BFG.

New Dishvoomer

JUST INSTALL TODAY IN SOUTH FLORIDA HD LOOKS GREAT :) FAST INSTALATION VERY PROFESIONAL ,GOT ONE 811 HD ONE 522 SD DVR FOR TWO ROOMS :D , VERY HAPPY IF YOU NEED RECOMENDATIONS FOR INSTALATION PLEASE EMAIL AT SENDY58@AOL.COM :)

Just talked to a Dish CSR. Cost for one 811 receiver via the Dish-N-It Up lease promo is $100 with one year commitment, $5/mo rental and $9.95/mo for HD programming. There is a 6-month discount of $5/mo for the HD programming. You can only add one 811 receiver under this promo.

What other equipment will I need to install the 811? Does this receiver require DishPro? Does the 921 require Dishpro? Will my 501 work with DishPro?

The Dish 811 does not require DishPro. It will work with legacy equipment. Also, you can outright buy an 811 on EBay for around $200, and activate it with no required commitment to the HD Pak. If you happen to already have a legacy antenna setup, this may be the best route for you.

MNHTUG said:
What other equipment will I need to install the 811? Does this receiver require DishPro? Does the 921 require Dishpro? Will my 501 work with DishPro?
3-digit model number receivers work out-of-the-box with DishPro or Legacy LNBFs and switches. A few models require software upgrades before they'll play well with DPPlus.

MNHTUG said:
Just talked to a Dish CSR. Cost for one 811 receiver via the Dish-N-It Up lease promo is $100 with one year commitment, $5/mo rental and $9.95/mo for HD programming. There is a 6-month discount of $5/mo for the HD programming. You can only add one 811 receiver under this promo.

The DISH'n It Up offer varies from customer to customer. There are several factors they use to decide what the customer qualifies for. The $100 ($50 install & $50 handling fee) is for "well-qualified" subs.

Attachments

• DIU.JPG
    DIU.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 375
Just bought an 811 on eBay with two remotes for $165. If the 942 becomes available for lease to current subscribers, I'll get one.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am in a similar situation - right now I have a single 811 and i want to add another. I just got off the phone from dish network and they told me it would be $198 up front, then the $5 a month rental fee, $5 additional receiver fee, etc. Am I being taken for a ride here, or what? If I am, should I just buy a seperate receiver, and if so, how does it work if you buy one from ebay or the like?

Many thanks, I am all confused,

Mark

Dalbrit,you could check the satellite guys classified's there are usually
811's in there for less than on e-bay.Garypen has one for $150.00
plus shipping,check it out. ;)

Thanks guys for the responses and to Garypen and Tom in TX for their kind offers to sell their surplus 811s. I actually have good news to report. I set the wife on Dish last night (firstly, she was not happy at how much it was going to cost, and secondly she is an attorney, so being angry come naturally...!). Anyway, by the time she had spent an hour giving them a peice of her mind, they were in a much more amenable mood, and we will now have the extra boxes we need for less than half what they first offered us.

Thanks guys for the support, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

These are Deals???

I'm a 7 year Dish subscriber looking to add HD services. I call them up to ask for options and the only two I get are:
A) If I pay them $100, then I get the privilege of leasing an 811 for $5/month with a one year commitment to HD programming. No ownership of equipment.
B) Buy a 921 for $549.

So if I go with A) for say 2 years, I will pay Dish $220 for use of an 811, and they still own it.
Or I can drop $550 for the buggy 921.

Gee Whiz. What deals!

Or I can go to eBay, buy an 811 and sell one of my existing receivers, probably have a net cost of $100-125, with ownership & no leasing fees. You'd think Dish would offer a 7 yr customer a better deal than what anyone off the street would be able to pick up off of eBay.

I have tried to get 942 lease but consistently have been told they will only lease these to new subs.

Regrettably I canceled Dish today (after being with for them for 8 years and becoming use to using my Dish 508 DVR) and will get COX cable and their HD DVR. I'd hoped that when it came to talking to their customer retention dept. I'd get some sympathy...and respect for being a longtime customer who they took payments on my credit card for 8 years with no hassle. But, the csr said no 942 lease, thanked me and said I'd be disconnected on 5-20-05 as requested.

I wanted to stay with Dish and get their HD Package, but I really wanted the HD DVR for my new HDTV (and was willing to pay $250.00 just to lease it). I wanted to be able to record HD programs and watch them when I had a chance to, but I don't want to buy equipment, especially with MPEG4 uncertanty.
It seems that Dish doesn't understand how much they piss off loyal subs just so they can continue to add new ones... and I don't think they care. Have other current subs received the same treatment??

GaryPen said:
Excellent advice. I hear he's very honest, and is kind to animals and orphans.

Plus although we often disagree on satellite topics, his choice of baseball team says much about him.

I too am a masochist who keeps enduring laughter in the area from Yankee fans who like to ridicule my allegiance to a perennial loser.

Then again, at times like this when the Yanks are struggling and my Mets are winning, it ALL is worthwhile. If the baseball gods could allow the Red Sox to humiliate them in 2004, could they allow their crosstown rivals do the same in 2005?

bobaphx said:
I have tried to get 942 lease but consistently have been told they will only lease these to new subs.

Regrettably I canceled Dish today (after being with for them for 8 years and becoming use to using my Dish 508 DVR) and will get COX cable and their HD DVR. I'd hoped that when it came to talking to their customer retention dept. I'd get some sympathy...and respect for being a longtime customer who they took payments on my credit card for 8 years with no hassle. But, the csr said no 942 lease, thanked me and said I'd be disconnected on 5-20-05 as requested.

I wanted to stay with Dish and get their HD Package, but I really wanted the HD DVR for my new HDTV (and was willing to pay $250.00 just to lease it). I wanted to be able to record HD programs and watch them when I had a chance to, but I don't want to buy equipment, especially with MPEG4 uncertanty.
It seems that Dish doesn't understand how much they piss off loyal subs just so they can continue to add new ones... and I don't think they care. Have other current subs received the same treatment??

I agree with you. As voom and dish customer, I can't lease 942. If I canceled Dish when I got Voom I would be able to get 942 now. That was confirmed to me by several Dish reps. It is incredibly stupid policy which will cause them to loose customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts