Existing customer opening new account to get a 522?

tooslo

Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
I am an existng customer with a 7200 and I want to upgrade to a 522. I found a dealer that will open a new account for me as long as we can make it look like it really is new. I can have it set up with my parents name and address (they are in the same town). The only issue is that when the 522 dials in, it will be dialing from the same number that my 7200 dialed from (I will close my 7200 account within a couple of days of activating the 522 account). Does anyone think that dialing in from the same number as an exisiting customer, or with the same caller ID name and number as a recent customer will raise any flags? Any other issues I haven't thought of?

Why not just do what many of us existing customers did.
Get an 522(off ebay or from some dish dealer),
then email ceo@dishnetwork.com
explaining you are an existing customer and
want to upgrade. They will call you and set
up installation.
There are a number of posts regarding this subject.
And many have upgraded to 522's. You don't have to
open an new account.
They will upgrade existing customers. It just isn't
published yet and the regular customer services
reps can't or won't do it.

not really....

Dish has said over and over that the 522 is only for new customers and they are not going to activate purchased boxes (because you've basically bought stolen property) but if you want to take the risk and see if you'll get activated go ahead...

I have read about people buying 522's on eBay and then struggling to get them activated. The struggle to get it activated does not bother me as I believe I could get that done after reading everyones experiences and suggestions. However, by opening a new account I save about $250 on the 522 (I'm talking about out of pocket expense, and I realize that I won't own it), and more importantly I will have someone else put up a new dish (I believe it requires a different one than my 7200) and run the second cable that is required free of charge. Nothing is going to get me up on the roof of a three story house. So, this seemed like a good way to get a 522.

I realize that many of you would rather buy so that you own it and do your own installation work. I do not want to debate the merits of that choice. But, I would appreciate your feedback on my plan and any suggestions you might have to make it work.

BFG said:
not really....

Dish has said over and over that the 522 is only for new customers and they are not going to activate purchased boxes (because you've basically bought stolen property) but if you want to take the risk and see if you'll get activated go ahead...

If you don't return it and are charged for it, by charging your credit card, they have effectively sold it to you. What you do with it after that is up to you. However, even though, in that instance, it would not be stolen property, DISH is still under no obligation to activate it.

not really either. The charge for not returning isn't a sale price. It's a damage fee for un-returned equipment that is till owned by dish. That is why they don't have to activate them.

BFG said:
not really either. The charge for not returning isn't a sale price. It's a damage fee for un-returned equipment that is till owned by dish. That is why they don't have to activate them.

I see the clause now that says leased equipment remains the sole property of DISH which would allow DISH to charge for the equipment without transferring title. I didn't see the explicit statement before.

Otherwise, charging for failure to return the equipment (a defaulted lease), as opposed to pursuing other means of forcibly repossessing it, would constitute a de facto lessor-granted option to purchase with a non-compliance triggered involuntary lessee-exercised option. In other words, forcing a charge on the customer would create an instant (and usually not reversible as long as the lease was legally in default) sale at the charged price, releasing both parties from the agreements of the lease.

I really need to stop working for lawyers before I start talking like that all the time.

I have been told that dish will start leasing 522's in Jan. to existing customers.I want one as well but will have to wait until then. No big deal. Hopefully they will be more stable by then anyway.

I simply wrote a letter directly to the Supreme Potenate Charlie, and I got a free 522 installed at my house. They simply came and took away my 510, and replaced it with my dual-tuner 522. No charges, the only thing I did extra was pay the installer to run a phone line down to the unit to avoid the extra $4.99 monthly fee.

Mind You, it was a very, very good letter.

:)

I got them to allow me to activate 2 522s recently, though I did play on the fact I have been a customer for 6 years and I was considering DirectTV. I don't know if that played a role or not.

I also checked the numbers on several units before bidding for them on Ebay. A few units did come back as leased and would have been a waste of my money. I got one unit relatively cheap since it didn't have a remote.

I also got extra UHF remotes (1 with one unit, 3 seperately). The only problem now is remembering which is which, since I multiplex the signals back onto a cable I route through the house. The only problem now is that it is a pain having 4 remotes, and having to remember to turn everything off. :)

I hate the extra $10/month ($5/receiver), but I will live with it since I have so much more space AND I can do a lot more simultaneous taping. I do hope they fix the bugs, and especially find a way to let me permenantly sort the event list alphabetically!

Brad

They've mentioned to us(CSR's at McKeesport callcenter) multiple times that the dual tuners will be available as an upgrade for existing customers sometime soon. Theres even an option in the Dishin it up pricing details for a $149 install(minus discounts for long time customers, DHPP, etc). January would sound about right though, after holiday rush and stuff.

I just activated both a DVR-522 and a 322 tht I bought off of Ebay tonight. It took a letter to CEO@dishnetwork.com as stated in a couple of threads around here, but I was contacted by someone very helpful within 4 hours of sending my letter. The guy that helped me was awesome and i really appreciate his help.

tooslo said:
I am an existng customer with a 7200 and I want to upgrade to a 522. I found a dealer that will open a new account for me as long as we can make it look like it really is new. I can have it set up with my parents name and address (they are in the same town). The only issue is that when the 522 dials in, it will be dialing from the same number that my 7200 dialed from (I will close my 7200 account within a couple of days of activating the 522 account). Does anyone think that dialing in from the same number as an exisiting customer, or with the same caller ID name and number as a recent customer will raise any flags? Any other issues I haven't thought of?

I did this myself, I had a 510 that was setup under my wifes name and our home telephone number. I canceled our account so that the cross match to verify that there is not already service at that address is cleared. Then I opened a new account under my name and cell phone number. All went perfect, I got the 522 and service was activated. Then I made the mistake of calling them about a problem I had on my home phone and I spent 30 minutes on hold as the rep was raising red flags, but.... the deed was already done and they simply combined both accounts and did nothing about it. What could they do really? I am not sure if they have plugged this hole yet but it worked fine for me and they found out :D

I have been thinking about buying a 522 receiver and like to own everything that I have but I am thinking that if I can get one for nothing or next to nothing by leasing it then that would be the way to go so it would not be out of my pocket and I would not lose money on depreciation, just return it when I do not want it anymore. I would also get to sell the receivers that I would replace it with. Now if they want my old receivers in exchange then that would be the same thing as buying it in my opinion plus the money up front you would have to pay them. That wouldnt be very good in my opinion, I might as well buy one at that rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts