Existing Geezer Customer - Looking to Upgrade

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
My wife and I and three TVs are long time Dish Companies - actually the TVs are not that old. I came to Dish in the 1990's when there was no Field Customer Service - Bought my first Dish Rcvr and Sat Dish from a New England Ham Radio palce - Grady's. Liked it and bought a second Receiver. Of course it was a do it yourself install as there was no one to call. Been with Dish since.

Currently have two receivers - a 722 and a 722k. The 722 is operated in Single Mode - feeding a HD TV in an upstairs bed room and via Coax feeds a "slave TV downstairs in the kitchen. My wife uses that and can be watching in one location, pause it, and go to the other location and resume the programming.

The other receiver, the 722k, also in Single Mode, is in our Living Room and provides viewing to an old Pioneer Plasma.
We are currently entirely happy with the picture quality at all locations, we also are happy with the recording flexibility and have no plans to upgrade TVs - however Dish is treating me like an idiot and not taking care of a problem with our repeatedly losing signals for very short times. (Three service visits, replaced Dish and LNBs, checked and replaced suspicious coax connections, and finally replaced one receiver.)

I'm looking to going over to cable, or DirectTV or upgrading my Dish.

I'm prepared to start searching here and researching elsewhere, but seeking help as to what the possibilities are with Hoppers and Joeys, etc.
Again, want my wife to have her upstairs viewing be available downstairs in the kitchen AND I want independently to be able to view separate content on my TV in the Living Room.

Just get me started, please!

S/ 79 year old Retired 24 Year US Navy Submariner -

Just to know a little more, do you mind providing a zip code (if you are comfortable doing so, the city that provides your local's works too if you know it). Also what satellites you are currently getting signal from, sounds like you are in the NE part of the US, so if you are setup with 110/119/129 then that might be your problem, since 129 is almost too low in the sky for places like new england. You can get this off of either receiver (Menu Button > 6 > 1 > 3, and looking at which satellites come in green, also while your there if you can see what switch you have, it will be labeled as device under the satellites). Since you have had almost everything done it sounds like a problem outside getting signal in the first place, and I don't think new equipment will help, but who knows.

I'm in Zip Code 20853 - Rockville, MD, in the MD Suburbs of DC.
Sat 72.0 and 61.5
DPP EA.2 w/Separator

I got the sense from the Phone Tech that I would be getting a different Sat Dish if I "upgrade" to the Hoppers/Joeys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Locals from Washington, and you are dead center of that satellites spot beam. So there goes that theory out the window. What happens during these times where signals go away, is it a partial or complete loss message that pops up? How long are they, does it happen at the same time every day? (sun interference is a possibility, although I've never seen it myself before). The signal code could also be useful if it is always the same.

Happens at random times, currently more frequently on the 722 than the 722k.
Maybe 15-20 times a day on 722 nad maybe 6 or so on 722k. Happens OTA from Sat, and also from SAT "Cable" Stations.
Complete loss of signal.. Error signal always 00-00-00
We clear the message by either selecting Guide or Selecting Mdnu and then backing out.
If we happen to be recording, later when we view the playback of the recording there is no obvious signal loss on the recording, even if the Lost Signal Screen was up for a long time.
MY conclusion is that the loss is for a VERY short time - say milliseconds. Screen locks in on message screen and that remains displayed, even tho signal is back.
When viewing the playback recording later on, we just do not process/see the millisecond loss.
Sound reasonable?

Maybe 15-20 times a day on 722 nad maybe 6 or so on 722k. Happens OTA from Sat, and also from SAT "Cable" Stations.
We clear the message by either selecting Guide or Selecting Mdnu and then backing out.
If we happen to be recording, later when we view the playback of the recording there is no obvious signal loss on the recording, even if the Lost Signal Screen was up for a long time.
MY conclusion is that the loss is for a VERY short time - say milliseconds. Screen locks in on message screen and that remains displayed, even tho signal is back.
When viewing the playback recording later on, we just do not process/see the millisecond loss.
Sound reasonable?

This is a bug in the VIP receivers caused by a poor signal on an OTA channel.

Doing some googling I found some old posts on various forums all related to 722/722k's saying that an 00-00-00 (not a valid error, they should be 1-5) happens when signal is lost on the OTA tuner, even if you are watching something over satellite. Your 722 has a OTA tuner integrated, so nothing you can do about it if it is actually bad, but can you check the back of the 722k for a module? (If you are looking at the back of it, its on the bottom left corner next to the satellite inputs). If its there, I would pull it out (even if its not connected) and see if that gets the 722k working. If not, or there's nothing there (just a plate with two screws) then I'm out of ideas.
EDIT: dishdude beat me to the punch

Thank you gentlemen! I have one OTA that is weaker than the others... I remove that particular channel, might that improve things?
Also, disappointed that Dish could tell me this - lol - I called 4 times in the last three days - the 4th time talking to a "Supervisor." I asked him to have Charlie Ergen give me a call. He didn't know who that was, but I'm supposedly to be called my a "Manager."

I still would be interested in a head start re Hopper/Joey equipment needs for an upgrade based on my OP at the head of this thread.

Thanks again - will get back with my research on OTA...
PS Yes, my 722k Rcvr has the two tuner module at rear.

Last edited:
Nice, lets see if that channel was the culprit, if it still happens i would pull the module out just to see if its bad. Gonna be busy for a few hours, ill come back and give you a rundown on Hopper/Joey stuff when Im back if someone else hasn’t already. There is plenty of info scattered on the forum as well.

I had a 722 for many years, along with two 612's, all of which had built in OTA tuners connected to my roof antenna. (I live in Fairfax.) Because of comments on this forum, I never left those tuners on weak stations, and never saw the issue you have been struggling with. I have no idea why Dish CSRs don't know about this. I guess they prefer us all to dump our excellent 722's for that high-tech but buggy Hopper. :mad: It can't even do trick play properly!

Getting tired. Will get back tomorrow.
Steep learning curve (for me) as to scanning, adding and removing OTA Channels. Also, I was getting confused about deleting an OTA Channel from the Guide as opposed to removing that OTA channel from the entire receiver.

The existing condition a few hours ago was that I had scanned in maybe thirty+ OTA channels, yet only had the two or three OTAs that I actually view included in my List 1 Guide.

What I have just done is re-scan, and then deleted ALL OTA channels except the three I do view. I checked the signal strength on those three and all are very strong.
Hoping that this gets rid of the problem.

IF it does, I'd still like you to get me started in understanding what I need as far as equipment goes in order to upgrade!

Thanks again. Talk tomorrow... unless I get the error message tonight in which case I'll post my best US Navy Submarine word... !@#~%$

Sound reasonable?
722 are known to eventually stop processing signals correctly. That could be an issue. Also, replacing connectors is great but there may be bad cable. Water damage is always the first thing I think of.

For upgrading, 3 TV's recording and watching independent programming means a Hopper 3 and 2 Joey 3's. Probably you'd see a price increase but what you get in return could be well worth it

I've had the signal loss error for the last 2 yrs on 3 different receivers..All VIP receivers..211k that would lose signal on any giving channel and two 222k receivers.. Both of the 222k's would lose signal on just tuner 1.. Now I thought it was a lnb, cable or loose connection problem because the 222's have been in my camper..after replacing everything at least once I'm convinced that dish is killing the older receivers..lol...On each receiver I can just hit guide or menu and then cancel and signal comes right back.. sometimes for just a few minutes and other times good for days.. Very strange..

Some results. I removed all OTA Channels from the 722k. I scanned the locals and got like 49 Local OTA's - I have a good antenna attached to my chimney. I have a Rotor - but do not use it as my three OTA Channels of interest all are in DC and withing just a couple of degrees of bearing to each.
I next deleted all OTA Channels except three network OTA channels. (I also receive these locals by Satellite, but want the flexibility of recording views from them without tying up one of my Sat Tuners.)

So, with only three OTA Channels being seen by the 722k, the Signal Loss issue has not occured at all in the past 12 hours. I want to do same thing with my 722, but my wife won't allow. (I told her she can talk to the Dish Tech tomorrow when he/she shows up.)

Reactions: TheKrell
If I understand correctly, the 722's Single OTA Tuner would be tuned to the OTA Channel last viewed, or currently being recorded?
If I was surfing by Up-Channel clicks, for example, and settled on a Sat channel - the Single OTA Tuner would be tuned to whatever OTA Channel I surfed thru.
You're suggestion would require me to select some Strong OTA Station to click on and then return to my surfing choice.

If I have it right, that is unworkable (for me.)

How about creating a list so the only channels surfed thru are strong signal ones?
Also, making sure there is no timer set to bad channels will have to be done if you don’t go the ‘delete them altogether’ route

As I suggested above, the issue does not seem to be if the OTA Channel is on the List... rather it is the OTA Channels scanned in to the receiver and not deleted.
My setup on the 722k has only included three STRONG OTA Channels on List 1, however until yesterday there were 40+ signals scanned into the receiver, many of them weak and many of them to no interest.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts