Existing Geezer Customer - Looking to Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
For upgrading, 3 TV's recording and watching independent programming means a Hopper 3 and 2 Joey 3's. Probably you'd see a price increase but what you get in return could be well worth it
Our actual need is one TV with its own DVR or some sort.
Entirely independent of that TV/DVR is two TVs - one upstairs and one downstairs. Those TVs do not require being able to record/view independently fom each other. In other words, both these TVs could be slaved together .
Still need a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys?

If I understand correctly, the 722's Single OTA Tuner would be tuned to the OTA Channel last viewed, or currently being recorded?
Correct.
If I was surfing by Up-Channel clicks, for example, and settled on a Sat channel - the Single OTA Tuner would be tuned to whatever OTA Channel I surfed thru.
Correct.
You're suggestion would require me to select some Strong OTA Station to click on and then return to my surfing choice.
Correct.
If I have it right, that is unworkable (for me.)
I do not understand what the issue is. You are surfing through OTA channels and decide to stop on an OTA channel that is strong. To tickle this bug, you would have to go back to a weak station you earlier surfed through and then either turn off the receiver, or select a sat channel. If the only issue is surfing up above OTA channels into the sat channel range, then I guess you would have to delete the last (presumably weak) OTA channel from the list to work around this problem.

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

I do not understand what the issue is. You are surfing through OTA channels and decide to stop on an OTA channel that is strong. To tickle this bug, you would have to go back to a weak station you earlier surfed through and then either turn off the receiver, or select a sat channel. If the only issue is surfing up above OTA channels into the sat channel range, then I guess you would have to delete the last (presumably weak) OTA channel from the list to work around this problem.
Surfing up thru the channels and pass thru a "Weak" OTA channel and come to a Sat channel that I view. That makes the last OTA Channel one of the weak ones and leaves me with a likely problem.

Surfing up thru the channels and pass thru a "Weak" OTA channel and come to a Sat channel that I view. That makes the last OTA Channel one of the weak ones and leaves me with a likely problem.

Have you tried adjusting the antenna to try and improve that weak channel a tad? Shouldn't take much.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The above was just an example. I have a High gain, highly directional OTA antenna mounted on chimney. I have the antenna optimized for the channels I care about 24/7/365.
As far as I'm concerned, you have solved my problem on the 722k that I watch. My current wife thinks I'm stupid and refuses to allow me to "fix" hers.
My next wife will allow me, a shot at fixing it!

Our actual need is one TV with its own DVR or some sort.
Entirely independent of that TV/DVR is two TVs - one upstairs and one downstairs. Those TVs do not require being able to record/view independently fom each other. In other words, both these TVs could be slaved together .
Still need a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys?
Hopper-joey system is entirely different from previous VIP type systems.

The VIPs are individual self contained, stand alone units.

The Hopper-Joey is a server-client system.

The Hopper3 does ALL the tuning and recording (SERVER).
The Hopper3 has 16+ tuners.
The Hopper3 has higher tech tv output (4K HDR) than any of the current Joeys.
It also SERVES Joeys.
OTA module plugs into Hopper3 and puts OTA channels into system.

The Joeys are 'dumb' terminals.(CLIENTS)
When you select a program/channel on the Joey, the Joey sends that instruction to the Hopper and the Hopper streams' that program/channel to the Joey.

The Hopper does ALL THE HEAVY LIFTING.
And is the HEART of the system.

So you need a Hopper3 at the highest tech advanced tv. (Living room, movie room)
An OTA module.
And you need Joeys (3s or 4Ks) at the other tvs.
This would be the regular setup.

There are other way to get around some equipment charges which are a bit more complex for entry level Hopper explorer.

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation!
The OTA Module would be associated with the Hopper? Thus if I wanted to view or record an OTA offering at a Joey location, I could select that OTA offering via the Hopper?

The OTA Module would be associated with the Hopper? Thus if I wanted to view or record an OTA offering at a Joey location, I could select that OTA offering via the Hopper?
Yes, but if you are subscribed to locals via satellite, you really don't need the OTA module. The hopper has 16 satellite tuners, and it only takes one of those to record the four major networks during prime time.
Also note, that if you rarely use one of those TVs, you can save some money by using a FireTV stick (or similar) and the Dish Anywhere App.
Also note that all recording is done on the hopper, the Joey is just a display client. (You can control the recording from the Joey.)

With my existing VIP receivers, we occasionally lose all satellite - during a storm or otherwise. We simply view an OTA channel. Would prefer to retain that flexibility.

Reactions: KAB
Just had a Dish Tech show up. He was totally clueless and spouted off utter nonsense. Left saying he could not be of help with our equipment and said he would so advise his supervisor so someone else might be sent out.
Where oh where is Uncle Charlie Ergin when you need him?

When I told this clown that the error signal on our Lost Signal Message Screen was "00-00-00" he said "We're not told what these codes mean - customer service knows."
(Three Customer Service Reps and one Supervisor that I called these past four days did not!)

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: TheKrell and joegr
The OTA Module would be associated with the Hopper? Thus if I wanted to view or record an OTA offering at a Joey location, I could select that OTA offering via the
You select on Joey (tuner, dvr, OTA, on-demand)
Joey forwards your selection to Hopper,
Hopper streams selection the Joey.

The Joey has menus and guide very nearly the same as the Hopper.
You can watch nearly EVERYTHING on the Joey that is on the Hopper.
The Hopper DOES ALL THE RECORDING AND TUNING, ETC.

The OTA module plugs into the Hopper
The Hopper INTEGRATES the OTA channels into the channel guide.
It is kinda seemless.

I'd like to add few things. Primetime records only main networks from your designated area (ABC,NBC,CBC,FOX and PBS). With ota plug into usb hub on Hopper 3, all the sub channels from networks are available to view or record. Your Guide provides info for some. Few will show 'no info available'. You can find web sites that provide what they are. The Guide shows only station name. If you record these, the saved files have combinations of numbers and letters as titles.. Currently, you can not rename them! Hoping for a software update to solve this annoying problem. And, OTA adapter lets you record two at the same time.

EQUIPMENT...

ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN
Hopper3
Joey3 or Joey4K.

Only accept Wireless Joey if coax is not available at a tv.

Do NOT accept
Hopper2 (w/sling) Or Original Hopper
Joey2 or Joey1
I have three TVs - MBR, Kitchen, and Living Room (Home Theater)
From all above, I believe I would have Hopper3 in Living Room and a Joey3 or Joey 4 in MBR and Kitchen.
I have a Coax available from MBR to Kitchen. Would I need Wireless Joeys at both locations?

From all above, I believe I would have Hopper3 in Living Room and a Joey3 or Joey 4 in MBR and Kitchen.
I have a Coax available from MBR to Kitchen. Would I need Wireless Joeys at

I have a Coax available from MBR to Kitchen. Would I need Wireless Joeys at both locations?
Hopper3 would go to Living Room.
In MBR put a splitter BEFORE the MBR Joey.
Splitter out A goes to Joey for MBR.
Splitter out B goes to joey for kitchen.

Splitters work with Joeys.

System layout...
Dish to RG6 to Hub (or Node? i have trouble keeping them straight).
Hub (node?) RG6 to Hopper3 (server) and
Hub coax to MBR splitter.
MBR splitter coax to (a) MBR Joey AND (b) kitchen Joey.

Expecting your current OTA coax runs from antenea to 722k living room.
it would remain the same, Plugging into the Hopper3.

Should be more or less using the same coax already in place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts