Expanding DISH service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

swangdb

Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Auburn ,AL
Greetings. I am new to this forum.

For several years I've had a Dish 510 receiver (that I own) and service at my house. The dish is a Dish 500 model with old dual-LNB.

For the past four+ years I've lived mostly in a different town with my wife and stepson though I spend some time each month at this house. Soon we are all moving to this house and I don't feel like fighting the kid for the TV so I want another receiver. I thought about
putting the 510 in a den upstairs and getting a new DVR receiver for the living room (for me).

Our two televisions are not HD, they are analog models. They will be replaced eventually but not right now, maybe within the next year, maybe not.

Will I need to upgrade the Dish 500 somehow to use two receivers?

Looking at my account online, it appears that the HD Solo DVR costs $75 installed as does the DuoDVR Receiver (presumably). Since they appear to cost the same, should I go ahead and lease the HD receiver so I'll be able to view HD content. Or should I just get an SD DVR receiver until I upgrade televisions?

Also, is it better to lease or buy receivers now?

What am I forgetting? I appreciate the help!

dave

(there is no cable available at this address)

Beware the HDTV upgrade; it could cause a cascade of new spending.

I bought a nice 42" LCD HDTV Westinghouse, and then we couldn't stand the SD receiver (a 625) so I bought a 722. Then everybody decided they couldn't stand watching SDTV any more anywhere, so more TVs went into the bedrooms and now I have 3 HD DVR receivers. :eek:

It is better to lease these days. If you own, you are still going to pay a monthly equipment fee, the same amount as if you leased.

Your Dish 500 will power 2 single tuner receivers, but if you are looking at HD you will need a Dish 1000.2 or Dish 1000.4 to pick up all three satellites that are necessary to receive all the HD channels.

The replacement dish should be included with the install of your HD receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)