Experience w/ DisEqC Switches?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smata67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I am probably going to get another switch to put in series w/ my existing Coolsat switch to avoid cable runs. Ebay has several for sale. There is a "CHIETA" brand that reports a low insertion loss 1.5dB, vs 3 dB for most others (ie PANSAT). What experience has the group had with switches that could guide this most important purchase? The "PANSAT" brand seems to be very common, is this a good switch?

I don't believe you can put two Diseqc switches in series. Saar over at MyThetre forums says "you can not have two commited Diseqc switches in series, But you can have a uncommited switch, a 22Kz switch and a commited switch all in series. The uncommited switches are common in Europe, But expensive to try and get in the States. Maybe you could use a 22Kz switch.

I think the two switches in series is what DiSEqC 1.1 is for. I meant to try it out when I had a couple DiSEqC switches to play with but I ended up giving my CoolSat switch away.

I bought a DMSi switch for 'out at the dish' and it has worked out nice. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Shawn

With all due respect diseqc can be used in series. In theory even regular 2.0 swicthes can. The only problem is the receiver's software that has to be be smart enough to assign different adresses to the 2 switches on power-up and later on address them individually. So far I have yet to see or hear about such receiver or software.

Uncommitted diseqc switches are much easier to chain with regular ones because they don't have to be assigned individual adresses. Again, receiver software has to support them. MyTheater (and I believe ProgDVB) for PC do support this setup-- I know it from my everyday experience. I'm pretty sure there are receivers out there that have such feature.

jerryt is right though-- uncommitted switches are pricy (as any exotic item). About a year ago I got a pair of Spaun sur 420 for $65 each from http://www.suburban-elect.com/.

Hope it helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)