Expired Card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jaybird28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Seattle
I joined DIRECT TV back in Dec '08 and I took one of my 4 receivers out of an office I don't use often and put the receiver in my RV. It worked great the first weekend camping.I left the receiver in my RV for a couple months without using and when I went to use it this weekend, I got the notice that the card had expired. Why would they Expire my card and what do I need to do to fire it back up? Is it a no-no to take a receiver on the road and did they catch me at it????

It can happen. Just call them and tell them it you need to have that receiver reauthorized; can we do that online now? Not 100% sure?

The access card loses authorization if it doesn't see a sat signal every thirty days. The reason for this, as we were told, was in case the receiver was lost/stolen your account wouldn't be charged for PPV's and such that you didn't order.

The access card loses authorization if it doesn't see a sat signal every thirty days. The reason for this, as we were told, was in case the receiver was lost/stolen your account wouldn't be charged for PPV's and such that you didn't order.

That one doesn't hold water if the thief hooks it up to a dish a plugs it in.... The receiver doesn't care where it is.. Only that it is hooked up and powered up..

Basically the receiver just has to take its monthly authorization so you can't leave it unplugged for extended periods without having to call and get it re-authorized..

That one doesn't hold water if the thief hooks it up to a dish a plugs it in.... The receiver doesn't care where it is.. Only that it is hooked up and powered up..

Basically the receiver just has to take its monthly authorization so you can't leave it unplugged for extended periods without having to call and get it re-authorized..

I never said I believed it, but that is the information D* is putting out to the HSP's. I agree it doesn't hold water, like a lot of things D* says.

I joined DIRECT TV back in Dec '08 and I took one of my 4 receivers out of an office I don't use often and put the receiver in my RV. It worked great the first weekend camping.I left the receiver in my RV for a couple months without using and when I went to use it this weekend, I got the notice that the card had expired. Why would they Expire my card and what do I need to do to fire it back up? Is it a no-no to take a receiver on the road and did they catch me at it????
Call them up next year to have the card reauthorized.:)

How old is the receiver? It might be an older card that is no longer supported.

Call them up next year to have the card reauthorized.:)

How old is the receiver? It might be an older card that is no longer supported.

IF he started in Jan 08, that would not be the case and the rec, would be fairly new.

I also believe you can re-authorize on line, if you can find the correct way to access the page, it will probably ask you for the rec # and the card number.

Calling in using the automated set up , like hdtvtechno mentioned above may be the quickest route over all.

Jimbo

So you need to have a smart thief ?
The rec. would be shut off by the end of the paid month, then the thief would be out of luck.
The card would be shut down once the paid month had expired and no more money was coming in to the account.

Jimbo

More than likely, the system is set up that way to keep someone from unplugging the receiver, canceling service, leaving the receiver unplugged for like 6 to 8 months, plugging it back in hoping that the kill signals are over.

Way back when I was first became a Dish customer, my wife's grandmother gave us her old receiver. The LNB was killed by a lightening strike. It was over a year when we hooked up the receiver, it still had all of it's programming!

We still subbed though, the distant locals that were a part of the package her grandmother had still worked after we subbed to the package we wanted. They never disappeared until we were late with our bill one month and lost programming for a few days.

Same thing happened to me. When our daughter moved out on her own, we decided to make her old room into a guest room. I disconected the satellite so we could carpet and paint and never got around to plugging it back in for maybe 9 or 10 months. A quick phone call got it reactivated. No big deal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)