Explain to me the service fee - no telephone

JohnTenn said:
Unless you need it for dual tuner mode why not just put it in Single Tuner mode? Phone line fee is not required when in Single mode. Also, single tuner mode lets you record one channel and watch another, unlike the Dual mode.

If the phone line is connected though, the auditing team should never call you.

Hope this works for you. I know it applies to 625/522 receivers. Should apply to 622 receivers as well.

There are some people on this board that has been audited while having their receivers plugged in.

JohnTenn said:
Unless you need it for dual tuner mode why not just put it in Single Tuner mode? Phone line fee is not required when in Single mode. Also, single tuner mode lets you record one channel and watch another, unlike the Dual mode.

Hope this works for you. I know it applies to 625/522 receivers. Should apply to 622 receivers as well.

WRONG!

I just purchased a 921 (and finally got it working).

Is the 921 subject to this $5 fee if no phone line is attached? (Its dual tuner with single TV output).

Eric_C said:
Every home is wired for high speed now and to keep a legacy service just doesn't make sense to us.

This premise is invalid. Every home is not "wired" for high speed now. This isn't a function of the house itself anyway, it's a function of the cable co or the RBOC.

Every cable co doesn't offer high speed to every customer, and every telco doesn't offer high speed to every customer ergo every home isn't "wired" for high speed.

There are many rural homes that have little hope of DSL due to distance from the CO, and antiquated cable systems with next to no chance of cable infrastructure upgrades that allow for high speed access.

$5.00 Fee

Dish is the only provider that offers a way for you to watch 2 different shows and not pay an additional outlet fee, just connect a phone line to your reciver. If you have DirectTv and two outlets you pay an additional $5.00 fee for the second, third and forth etc. Quit your wining! You could have 4 outlets with Dish and onlyu pay $5.00. "IF" you have a phone line hooked up. Take the money you save by not having a land line and use money from that bucket!

Got a dual 625 receiver installed last Monday for two TV's. They told
me if I wanted to use the dual for one TV and get a single receiver
for other TV, I would have to have both recievers connected to phone
line or pay extra $5.00 for single receiver. If I did not connect them
both to phone line I would have to have a separate sub for single
receiver. Damn, how many rules do these guys have?? Oh, I use the
dual with two tv's and connect to phone line.

rnesky said:
Dish is the only provider that offers a way for you to watch 2 different shows and not pay an additional outlet fee, just connect a phone line to your reciver. If you have DirectTv and two outlets you pay an additional $5.00 fee for the second, third and forth etc. Quit your wining! You could have 4 outlets with Dish and onlyu pay $5.00. "IF" you have a phone line hooked up. Take the money you save by not having a land line and use money from that bucket!

so the "$5 additional receiver fee" is the same as the "$5 not plugged into a telephone line fee"??? i currently have two old timey 301 receivers and neither is plugged into a phone line, and i am charged a $5 additional receiver fee. are you saying that if i plugged one (or both?) receivers into the phone line my bill would be $5 cheaper per month? i admit, i'm very confused by this fee.

ALL receivers after the first one pay a $5 fee per month (either additional receiver fee or lease fee depending on whether it's owned or leased). NO exceptions

Dual tuner receivers are also subject to an extra additional receiver fee for the second tuner which is waived if connected to a phone line.

IF you can plug into a phone line, the dual tuner dual output models (322/522/622/625/942) are a great deal because you're essentially getting a 2nd receiver with no outlet fee. If you view these receivers as 2 receivers and you don't plug into a phone line, you're basically coming out even. I use Vonage and both my 625 and 942 seem to work with it just fine so no $5 fee for me.

Note that dual tuner models with only 1 output (721/921) do not have the extra outlet fee since there is no 2nd outlet.

JohnTenn said:

Tenn,

You are way off base here. It does NOT matter if your Dual Tuner DVR is in Single Mode or Dual Mode. There is a $5.00 fee if you DO NOT CONNECT a Phone Line.

John

John Kotches said:
This premise is invalid. Every home is not "wired" for high speed now. This isn't a function of the house itself anyway, it's a function of the cable co or the RBOC.

I'm glad someone said this. The USA is very big and there are large portions of this country that aren't able to get high-speed. On top of that a lot of people don't want to pay for it either, nor do they want the hassle of paying for cell phones.

Personally I don't have high speed at home, nor do I pay for a cell phone. I get all of my emails and such done from work, and I just don't see the need for a cell phone, I guess I don't have enough people to call from the supermarket :)

n0qcu said:
ALL receivers after the first one pay a $5 fee per month (either additional receiver fee or lease fee depending on whether it's owned or leased). NO exceptions

Dual tuner receivers are also subject to an extra additional receiver fee for the second tuner which is waived if connected to a phone line.

concerning the last sentence in your quote...if i upgrade to hd this summer and am able to get a 222 receiver (dual tuner, no dvr) i will not have to pay the $5 additional receiver fee, even though i am going to be able to view different output on two seperate tvs?

I switched from a 921 that I have had for a year and a half to a 622. I never had a phone line hooked to the 921 (or the 721 before it) and was never charged the $5 fee. As soon as I activated the 622 the charge started showing up on my bill. Not sure why they never charged the fee before but they certainly are now. It's like a penalty for us folks that have cell phones only and no landline.

Eric_C said:
I don't have a home phone, never had a home phone. We have cell phones and thats it.

I signed up for Dish again with no phone. As I have signed up with E* and D* in the past. Never had a problem with it and I didn't expect to this time either.

Well the 622 insists on a phone line. So I politely called Dish, explained to them the problem. BTW, the CSR during ordering never did say I had to have one, neither did the installer.

She told me I needed a phone line, BUT if I did not want one, there was a $5.00 service charge for no phone line.

Someone explain this to me. Forget the contract and what they say you have to have. There is something not legal to me in this.

We don't buy PPV, never have, never will. We have a 622 and a SD box.

Phone lines are needed we are told to stop piracy. Well I have two boxes, two TV's, and just installed.

So now they offer a way around the phone line but $5.00?

$5.00 from me is not solving the piracy problem. So what service are they providing for $5.00 a month?

If a phone line is not required for functionality, then obviously my $5.00 is just an excuse to collect.

You see my problem with this? Its like saying if I buy a car and don't store it in a garage I get charged extra.

I plan on writing the CEO over this. I agreed to the charge for the simple fact I wanted to watch TV and the completel lunacy of the charge. I'll take it up with someone else.
The $5 fee is a trade off..I explain this to my custs this way.....This is a dual tuner receiver.Essentially two receivers in one container..It operates as though you had two sep boxes..Dish considers the dual tuner to be one receiver....with that in mind they eliminate the additional outllet fee provided the reveiver is connected to a land based phone line..Here's the trade off part....the phone line gives the cust the ability to order PPV's at the touch of a buton..Dish sees this as an impulse sale opportunity...
Keep in mind that Dish will not pay the tech to run a hardwire phone line,,That fee is collectable form the cust by the tech at the time the work is done...For example, my charge is $60 per line...Before you go postal, local phone co's charge much more
So there ya have it..BTW, DTV used to REQUIRE phone conns to receiver #'s 2 and up.The installer was required as part of the job to run hardwire lines to each one where a line did not exist....If no connection, they would not activate....

I can tell you you are goingot run up against a brick wall on this..Dish won't let this one go..They want their $$ and that's that..The explanation is all other companies,cable included charge ad
l outlet fees.. Actually if you compare to cable, Dish's fee is low...most cable co's charge as much as $10 - $12 a month for each HDTV box..But let us now how you make out..

Last edited:
Pick up a Sipura 1001 for $60. Attach it to your network and your receiver or attach it your home wiring. Configure it with a free VoIP provider, you're done. Now your receiver is happy and you can also call toll free numbers without running up your cell phone minutes.

Answer to the no phone fee

I have been looking into a 622. During this adventure I encountered the "no phone line" fee. I agree it is like being charged because your room is not painted blue. I have never had a phone line hooked up to any receiver I have had, so this made no sense.

I was a difficult child growing up. I would never do anything my parents asked unless they gave me a valid reason why and I am still that person today. I have spent the last two days dogging E* for the answer to this question. By the time I got the answer I already suspected it, but I wanted E* to tell me.

The business reason is to defer the cost of the satellite nazis. I said "now that wasn't so hard to say now was it." I said that if E* would have just answered my question in the first place I wouldn't have wasted my time and they wouldn't have had to use all those resources to answer my phone calls and emails. I told the guy that it was nice to talk to an honest person.

I'm only familiar with the satellite nazis thru this forum. They seem to get pretty bad press. For those not familiar with them, they are an audit team whose job is to make sure each active receiver is in the right house. The phone line is supposed to automate this process costing E* less money, hence the "no phone line" fee.

Well I have the answer to my question. Hopefully this will save someone else some time.

No, the 622 will function perfectly without the phone line connected. But you'll have the following consequences:

1. You'll have to pay an additional $5/month
2. You are subject to being harrassed by the Dish audit group
3. You won't be able to use PPV

If any of those things are not acceptable to you, you need to find a way to hook the receiver to a phone line.

kgavin said:
I have been looking into a 622. During this adventure I encountered the "no phone line" fee. I agree it is like being charged because your room is not painted blue. I have never had a phone line hooked up to any receiver I have had, so this made no sense.

I was a difficult child growing up. I would never do anything my parents asked unless they gave me a valid reason why and I am still that person today. I have spent the last two days dogging E* for the answer to this question. By the time I got the answer I already suspected it, but I wanted E* to tell me.

The business reason is to defer the cost of the satellite nazis. I said "now that wasn't so hard to say now was it." I said that if E* would have just answered my question in the first place I wouldn't have wasted my time and they wouldn't have had to use all those resources to answer my phone calls and emails. I told the guy that it was nice to talk to an honest person.

I'm only familiar with the satellite nazis thru this forum. They seem to get pretty bad press. For those not familiar with them, they are an audit team whose job is to make sure each active receiver is in the right house. The phone line is supposed to automate this process costing E* less money, hence the "no phone line" fee.

Well I have the answer to my question. Hopefully this will save someone else some time.

so the money I saved by having my phone line hooked up just disappeared because Dish had to pay all those people to answer your question? All I can say is...
Thanks a hell of a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts