Express Vu/Star Choice Satellite

Lars

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
I have been doing my research and it seems Express Vu from Canada may be the best HD value out there now for Voom customers. I wonder if it needs its own Satelliteguys forum?
Maybe they will license Voom21 content.

I looked and not quite sure I understand their HD offering. They list basically E/W of major networks and a few others but seem very limited Movie channel wise in HD. Like I said might just be me not understanding.

Getting ExpressVu is kind of a grey area, we do have a area here at SatelliteGuys.US to discuss ExpressVu in the "Other Satellite Services" area.

I myself have ExpressVu, and find it does not give me much more HD then I have now, while it is nice to have both east and west coast HD feeds I don't really watch them, and channels like TSN HD and a few other HD channels dont have much on them and most of the time are upconverts. Discovery HD in Canada is NOT the same Discovery HD content we have here in the states, most of the shows are 4x3 upconverts that seems to mirror the Discovery Channel for Canada.

Although I must admit I find the content on Discovery Channel Canada interesting compaired to here in the states, on their discovery channel this weekend I saw a show about sex which was really graphic with full nudity and also feature course languarge with no swear bleeped out.

Yes in Canada we get to see boobs :) the usa blocks everything though... In Toronto girls can walk around topless outside in the summer. Don't see it often though, and some you don't want to see...

tdti1 said:
Yes in Canada we get to see boobs :) the usa blocks everything though... In Toronto girls can walk around topless outside in the summer. Don't see it often though, and some you don't want to see...
Thank you sharing your titillating experiences. BTW, who's up for a road trip to the Great White North? :yes

I heard a few people go to Canada services because they can get Nascar in HD.

Personally I could care less about Nascar but some may care about it here.

We already get NASCAR in HD on both Fox and NBC.
The problem was with production equipment, not with the carriers.

We do NOT, however, get boobs in HD. :)

Lob

I just checked it out....and the carrier is not bad....almost like BUD...some ala carte stuff....but gonna call about the language of programming and hd content....sounds about the same amount as D* and E*....BUT cheaper....it is worth investigating

The only way to figure content is www.expressvu.com

They offer 25 HD channels, 6 are HD PPV (movies, adult, events)
10 are the US networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS)east and west feeds
Two are Canadian sports channels
Three are Canadian Broadcst Networks (two channels, one is the east and west feed)
There is one movie channel kind of like a Voom21 offering (you choose one of two offereings for some reason you can't get both)
Discovery is HD but different than Discovery HD Theater here
They do have WGN and a canadian superstation in HD that is alot like TBS or TNT

But, you must pick some packages to get what you want. To get all of the HD, plus a bunch of SD (some you must have to get some of the HD channels- for instance, you have to have a movie package to get the movie HD channel, etc) it runs about $55 US per month. They do not offer any of our movie channels that I can tell (HBO< Starz, Showtime, etc.) which is a killer for most people.

When I originally posted, I was hoping to add a pack for just HD channels, but just like D*, E*, etc. you have to also get a bunch of stuff you don't want.

Wow the "Star Choice" version is the choice for us in the Western US.
This is a great find for me. Thanks for the lead. I'll even get to see the CFL again.

My service will change but at least my box will look the same. Maybe I can actually reuse my Voom boxes?! :)

What a great forum

Attachments

• model500-s.jpg
    model500-s.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 296
socalpanman said:
Wow the "Star Choice" version is the choice for us in the Western US.
This is a great find for me. Thanks for the lead. I'll even get to see the CFL again.

My service will change but at least my box will look the same. Maybe I can actually reuse my Voom boxes?! :)

What a great forum
Did you find an HD programming option? I didnt see one on the sites page myself....also looks like SC doesnt offer an HD DVR unit but then again not sure expressvue did either, they had HD boxes and SD w/dvr tho

The HD DVR is coming May 1

They have 9 Omnibus HD channels that are included in the basic package. Most of what is on here is HD, and not upconverts like on ExpressVu :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)