ExpressVu PVR $10/mo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mattsymail

Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hi, I'm completely new here and still trying to figure out how to get Canadian TV in the US (Seattle, WA in particular). If I understand correctly, I buy equipment then talk to a broker to get an address to use. However, the best deal for equipment seems to be directly through ExpressVu going with a monthly charge. As I doubt they will ship to the US, how would this work? Can I drive up to Canada and buy it there (do they even have retail stores?)?

If I'm driving up there anyway, does anyone know if I can just set myself up a PO Box and skip the broker?

You can set up a Mailboxes Etc account up there to receive mail. You'll need a phone number though. They *do* call. That's what the phone verification comment was about on the other thread regarding Freeway Support. So, you could set up Vonage with a virtual canadian number but the problem arises over calling them for setup or changes. US phones can't call ExpressVu's toll free number. You'll get a fast busy. There's a problematic way to get around that but it is full of pitfalls as well. So, you've got one direction easily covered but not the other. At this point you'll be paying far more for setting those two up than brokers charge in the first place.

Your next problem is actually buying it. If you go to The Brick or any other big box retailer, ExpressVu now requires that they copy identification such as a driver's license. They only license you've got to give them is a US one.

I PM'd you dealer and broker info. Just buy from a dealer and have a broker handle the account (cheaper than a MB ETC.)

pretzelboy said:
So, you could set up Vonage with a virtual canadian number but the problem arises over calling them for setup or changes. US phones can't call ExpressVu's toll free number.
*67 is your friend in that case :D

During the part of the year when we're down south, if I need to call, I just use the 416 number with *67 blocking caller ID. The vonage number (with virtual Toronto number) follows us to York and Kirkland Lake, depending on where we are that part of the year.

fyi-if they ever call and mention you not being hooked up to the phone, tell them that your Cell only (this will explain why your phone number doesnt match where your address is). I also told them that they have party lines in parts of K.L., and I never wanted to deal with one of those again, EVER!!!

pretzelboy said:
Your next problem is actually buying it. If you go to The Brick or any other big box retailer, ExpressVu now requires that they copy identification such as a driver's license. They only license you've got to give them is a US one.
What ID is acceptable? My wife has a SIN card, does that work? Also have her citizenship card and passport as well, but she doesn't carry those 2 around much.

Ouch. I was interested in Canadian TV because it seemed less expensive than US TV (cute accents and seeing the world from another viewpoint would have been a nice bonus). With a basic package, two tuners, and a PVR I was looking at about $38/month with little initial cost. Adding on the broker fee I'll still be paying $38/month, but have to add on over $800 in equipment ($110 for dish, $600 for PVR, $100 for extra tuner).

Any chance Mexico has a satellite system? (um, of course then I'd have to learn Spanish...)

mattsymail said:
Ouch. I was interested in Canadian TV because it seemed less expensive than US TV (cute accents and seeing the world from another viewpoint would have been a nice bonus). With a basic package, two tuners, and a PVR I was looking at about $38/month with little initial cost. Adding on the broker fee I'll still be paying $38/month, but have to add on over $800 in equipment ($110 for dish, $600 for PVR, $100 for extra tuner).

Any chance Mexico has a satellite system? (um, of course then I'd have to learn Spanish...)

That wouldn't work for you. ExpressVu has a policy of calling the multiple receiver accounts to make sure you aren't "account splitting"

Rule I've always heard is Southern Subs only use 1 EVu receiver.

Derwin0 said:
What ID is acceptable? My wife has a SIN card, does that work? Also have her citizenship card and passport as well, but she doesn't carry those 2 around much.

Not following. Does she have a Canadian citizenship card and passport or US? But yes, to not arouse ExpressVu suspicion you'd want to be using something Canadian.

It would be cheaper. If your wife is a Canadian put it in her name and have it under a family member's canadian address. That way you could get free equipment.

$1.00 Canadian = $0.81 US currently.

yes, she's a Canadian citizen with U.S. residency.
I only reside in Canada part-year, part of the summer while my wife and kids spend the entire summer up there.
The account is registered to the house we have up there, the recievers go up there with us during the summer, and next christmas where my wife has informed me we will be doing. (brrr. -40 Christmas :eek: )

Uplink said:
It would be cheaper. If your wife is a Canadian put it in her name and have it under a family member's canadian address.
Already have the account. It's under my name, but could add her easily enough. I was asking the question about what I.D. could be used, as I'll probably buy a DVR when we go up in June.

or even HD-DVD if it's out by then. :rolleyes:

Well, her regular canadian forms of identification should be fine then. I'd be awfully concerned about getting a DVR. Last I knew they had a horrible failure rate unless something drastic has changed.

pretzelboy said:
Well, her regular canadian forms of identification should be fine then. I'd be awfully concerned about getting a DVR. Last I knew they had a horrible failure rate unless something drastic has changed.
as bad an error rate as dish :rolleyes:
I plan to clone the hard drive Day 1, so that I have a backup.
Did that with my Dish 721

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts