expressvu smartcard replacement problems

mojofilter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 22, 2005
I've been an Expressvu customer in San Jose, CA for a few years now, and am being required to upgrade my smartcard. Problem is, I can't seem to download the required software -- mine is stuck on version E4.

Expressvu customer support has given me some hints, including fixing on transponder 11. But I can't get most odd-numbered transponders, including 11. I've read elsewhere in this forum that these transponders won't work in CA (which explains why some channels won't come in).

So am I stuck? Or is the transponder 11 requirement not necessary for downloading version E5 software? If so, what else can I try?

TP11 is on Nimiq3, which isnt visisble in California

I heard there was a way to download it off the 82 satellite, but never tried it. Maybe someone in the affected areas that was able to download the newest software can help out

You should try temporarily pointing your dish to 82 for a day. That should give it enough time to update.

Mojo I had a neighbour call me a couple of weeks back with the exact same problem. No E5 update on a 2700 receiver. I talked to BEV on their behalf and tried the usual things like pulling the smartcard, switchchecks, etc. No go. The tech told me to turn off the receiver for the night and sure enough the next day E5 was there. We did try turning the receiver off before and it never worked but the all night trick did. Btw we do live in Alberta,Canada if that makes a difference.

Good luck,

Same problem as well

I also live in the San Jose area and am experiencing the same problem. I tried pointing my dish to 82 with not much success. Which transponder should I set my receiver to in order to get/see 82? Will it work on TP 10?

Before I switched to *C , I had the same problem in Florida. I found a signal on 82, with the receiver set to transponder 11. I switched the reciever off with the remote. I waited 40 minutes and switched the back on and the download had completed. (Make sure that you set the updates to "update without permission'). You can tell if the new updates has installed because the system info looks different.repoint your dish and call your broker, have your new card ready. I hope this works in CA .Good luck.

I'd save my money and get one from a dealer that is reputable...and one that jerry rigged a box :)'

hell, I wouldn't pay $10 for that one :D

it only has an added JTAG.. which should be easily removable.. of course, I will have to reflash the thing with a non-hacked FW..

Hell, if I found these for $10, id buy 6! ;)

Hope this helps some of you...

I have the 3100 on the SF/SJ penisula in the Bay Area of California (closer to San Jose). Finally last night was able to download new (E5) software from TP11 on 82. The coordinates I used were Azimuth 111/Elevation 29.4 with a skew of 90 degrees for single sat reception. Found the satelite after MANY attempts, required EXTREME patience, lost signal with very subtle movements. Finally locked it on 82 with ~65% signal, shut off the receiver, and had new software the next time I turned it on (~2 hours later).

Now I need to swap smartcards. My Canadian address is my parents house. Anyone with experience of how to do this???

Thanks in advance

When replacing smartcards you actually don't have to talk to anyone well when I did it last month just had to punch in the last 4 digits of old and then new and wait for 1/2 hour to work

bronskym said:
Hope this helps some of you...

I have the 3100 on the SF/SJ penisula in the Bay Area of California (closer to San Jose). Finally last night was able to download new (E5) software from TP11 on 82. The coordinates I used were Azimuth 111/Elevation 29.4 with a skew of 90 degrees for single sat reception. Found the satelite after MANY attempts, required EXTREME patience, lost signal with very subtle movements. Finally locked it on 82 with ~65% signal, shut off the receiver, and had new software the next time I turned it on (~2 hours later).

Now I need to swap smartcards. My Canadian address is my parents house. Anyone with experience of how to do this???

Thanks in advance

bronskym said:
Do your parents have 3-way calling? If so, call them, then have them 3-way call the Bell number and then you can enter the numbers.
If not, then just give them both the old and new numbers from the card that the smartcards were on, and have them do the swap.

Thanks all for the help. Pointed to the 82 this weekend; new software downloaded almost immediately. Pointed back to the 91, called up, and had programming again within a half hour.

mojofilter said:
Thanks all for the help. Pointed to the 82 this weekend; new software downloaded almost immediately. Pointed back to the 91, called up, and had programming again within a half hour.
sweet

glad it worked :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts