Expressvu sued by cable company

hah, thats funny.. but it is true.. apparently BEV hadnt changed their "Keys" in years.. unlike Dish who did it every few days.

I wonder if US cable companies should join suit or file there own against Dish and DirecTV? I know plenty here that has had Bell Ex for free around here for years along with DirecTV and Dish.

I dont know, Bell has swapped out its smart cards and is now hack proof, and Dish Network tried the same thing and everyone is still watching TV for free.

I think Bell did a good job at shooting down the pirates.

I thought that Bell changed to the same thing that Dish was using now?

I was under the assumption that since Dish was hacked (again) that BEV was wide open again too? I guess I should go do some stealthy reconnaissance again ..

maddawg said:
Just cable trying to get some free cash..also this is old news.

old news yes, orginal link expired was the reason for the update on a link that still works.
as for cable "trying to get cash", this is a legitimate concern and someone decided to address it. Bell has known about this problem and still kept ignoring it. just short of saying, "hey hack us"! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Frivolous lawsuit.

Impossible to prove that the hacked boxes would have subscribed to the cable company and for what amount. Furthermore, if a store wants to put its merchandise out on the street and give it away a discounted price (or free) competitors cannot sue them.

The only people that might have a legitimate lawsuit are the program suppliers and then you must have a good indication of the financial harm (in other words, good substantiated numbers of how many hacked boxes there are).

HDTVFanAtic said:
Frivolous lawsuit.

Impossible to prove that the hacked boxes would have subscribed to the cable company and for what amount. Furthermore, if a store wants to put its merchandise out on the street and give it away a discounted price (or free) competitors cannot sue them.

The only people that might have a legitimate lawsuit are the program suppliers and then you must have a good indication of the financial harm (in other words, good substantiated numbers of how many hacked boxes there are).

I know when DirecTV was having such an issue and they finally got the system secured, we seen some of those people either go cable or Dish. In my area some went on over to hack the other equipment as well. :rolleyes: amazing what people will do to get free stuff. I take legal action on thieves so they don't even try. :D Also this is not a store selling merchandise thing. It's about people looting the store. If ExpressVu would not take action to curb the theft of there own services by making it more secure, I would have to question there intentions. I will agree programmers should go after them for lost revenue as well.

To prove damages, among other things, you would have to have real numbers of hacked systems (in areas that the cable company served) and show how it cost you revenue - which is virtually impossible to prove in a court of law. That's nothing but speculation which has not foundation in law and determining damages.

Bell could easily countersue the cable company saying their cable connections on the street were insecure and anyone can go to an electronics store, get a connector and Crimp and connect up to their cable feed.

Both claims are a waste of the courts time and only run up the cost to legit subscribers as the companies are forced to defend it, they will pass on to us.

EV or E*?

Whose fault is this? If EV contracts E* for the cards and receivers, wouldn't it be E*'s fault?

Can EV even get a bettter encryption system while using E*'s equipment?

cablewithaview said:
that would be a good question, E* did sell them the stuff knowing it could happen but then again Bell knew the same thing. so is both at fault?
But then they also bought Nagravision encription from Nagra which is what got compromised. So why not sue the Swedes.

Derwin0 said:
But then they also bought Nagravision encription from Nagra which is what got compromised. So why not sue the Swedes.

Who bought the Nagra? That's why I asked if EV could even use another system. Didn't E* choose Nagra and EV purchased that technology from E*?

I thought Nagra was Swiss?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)