Expressvu vs Dishnetwork

DCXFORDGM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
A few questions about this comparison. The question I have is on HD content, why is that Dish needs 10 birds and Vu uses 3 birds and has the same amount of channels or is very close to it. Vu now has more than 26HD channels and Dish has 8, why is it that Vu can do more with less birds. Is it a different compression version then dish or a software in the set-top boxes itself because from experience Bell software makes dish's look like a kid designed it. Expressvu is also launching more channels soon, more news and more HD, they will have most of the us news networks plus all the canadian news networks and two euronews networks and they are missing only 3 which is bloomberg<which is coming to vu> and cnnfn and cnn international. Dish just carries the us networks and as for local channels, Vu carries alot of locals accross canada and from some u.s states. As far as overseas programming Dish can not even come close to Vu. I don't get it either Dish is using a older system and Vu is using a newer version of dish to deliever there content or bell has adjusted the birds/software to work differently. Any thoughts or reason why?

The number one reason woud be that Vu doesn't have 1000 or more "locals". I have also heard they compress the HD more.

The main reason is locals. In the US, not every network is owned by the station (unlike the CBC & CTV). As an example, there are 20 CBS Owned & operated in the US. I dont know the exact number of CBS affiliates but its probably over 150. The FCC says if you carry one local in a market, you have to carry ALL the full powered stations in the area. (thats the big one...Canada doesnt have to do that...if we were playing the same rules, if Vu carried TQS Quebec, then they would have to also carry SRC, TVA, CBC, CTV, Global)
US has 210 DMA's that have to be carried, if they do desire. Some areas have 2 channels, some have 4 channels, some have 20-25 (LA & NY for example). In Minneapolis, MN we have 10 (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, UPN, WB, 3 PBS, IND).

MN has 5 DMA's that cover the state (Minneapolis, Duluth, Mankato, Sioux Falls SD, Fargo ND). Most areas in Canada utilize translators. Manitoba there are 2 DMA's (I think) Brandon & Winnipeg. All other areas in MB utilitze CBWT, CBX, and CKY. So they only have to carry 4 channels in Manitoba (CBC, CTV, Global, A).

It all comes down to locals. Could Dish & Direct way back when carry regional areas. I think they could, but the FCC wouldn't allow them. Also the NAB (the US version of CAB) wants the local broadcasters on there. Thats why the CAB got places like Thunder Bay, Lloydminster & Prince George on SC & EVu. The NAB has deep pockets and like congress, so they can bully their way around.

did a quick search on nelsonmedia.ca and according to that site, there are 104 channels that are classified as "locals" in Canada
CBC
CTV
Global
CH
A
Chum Networks (New, City)
SRC
TVA
TQS

104 full powered stations

conversely...US areas and amount of locals on Dish
LA-24
NY-17
Wash DC-12
Philly-13
Denver-13
Minneapolis-10
San Fran-19

total-108 in 7 markets and Dish has 150 markets on line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)