Extend Satellite Dish 500 feet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Network Administrator

Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Memphis
We would like to extend a DirectTV Satellite dish several hundred feet (not sure but quite a ways). We do have fiber (multimode) available between these two locations. Could that be used with a transceiver or mux? The dish supports 7 separate TVs in the house.

What would be the best way to do this?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Network Administrator!

It can be done, but I'll let one of the installers chime in on this one since they know way more about it than I do.

You're going to need a fairly powerful wide-band amplifier and a great deal of coax. Although I'm sure that there are devices out there that will convert the signal to fiber, I'm not sure if they'd be cost effective.

Or, you could just set an additional dish up at your remote location.

Buy yourself an aim meter... reading dB through the coax is going to be necessary to ensure this works... as far as the fiber goes I have no idea if splicing f pins in is going to really work or not. You absolutely want to run rg11 solid copper but I need to know more about what type of setup you are running and is power available anywhere in between the two locations. You are going to need both polarity lockers and amplifiers. Without an aim meter to test dB drop it is not possible for me to say exactly what you will need. This is going to be trial and error. I'm assuming you are using a swm16 from having 7 irds. But need to know whether you have a traditional 5 or traditional 3 lnb and what color the f pins are on the lnb.

One thing is for sure.....It isn't going to be cheap.
The OP is better off just mounting a second antenna on the other structure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)