Extending 622 TV1 via HDMI

Allin4greeN

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Lancaster County
I'm thinking about using this HDMI splitter to send TV1 from my 622 to a secondary display. The secondary display has a DVI input so, I'll also be running L/R/C audio channels from my receiver's "Zone B" outputs. The total run is about 35'. I'll be using the 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote.

Questions:
1) Has anyone used a similar HDMI splitter with positive results (HDCP problem free)?
2) I live in an apartment so, "in wall" runs are out of the question. It's gonna be a mess of cables. Anyone have suggestions for a "clean" way to cover wires down a 20' hallway?

By doing this, I'll be able to return the 211 currently feeding display #2 and save some nickels and dimes.

Thanks in advance for any input!

1. That's a passive splitter. Bad idea. Don't even waste your time trying.

Use component for the secondary TV.

I looked at the same splitter some months ago. I emailed monoprice. The results are spotty, depending on TV and receiver. I did like Andrew suggested and bought a thin component cable and used it for second TV. Works great.

Since HDMI is a two way communication between card and display adding a second receiver confuses HDMI - probably will not work.

Since HDMI is a two way communication between card and display adding a second receiver confuses HDMI - probably will not work.
Hi Jim, not sure I understand your post? I want to remove a receiver from the set-up, not add one.

I'm looking at options to send TV1 over HDMI to a second display. I won't be running the displays simultaneously (edit: I probably should've clarified that earlier) so, I'm not sure how there would be any miscommunication, whether it's a splitter, or a matrix switch, the 622 should be able to shake hands with either display one at a time. Both are HDCP compliant, one display just happens to use a DVI input instead of HDMI.

I've done what I think you're trying to do

I have 2 tvs set up in one room,1 42 inch on a stand and a 32 inch lcd mounted above it on the wall.The 32 inch is run using the hdmi and the bottom 42 inch using component.I have an ota connected to the bottom so I could watch 2 football games at once as long as one of the games was ota.the receiver is a 622 and works fine for both.Also worked well playing xbox 360 or ps3 on bottom while keeping track of football on top tv.If your going to have a run of 35 plus feet you may want to buy a hdmi signal extender to put between to 20' hdmi cable it enhances the signal for a long run.I think they are about 50.00.Your best bet is to keep the hdmi cables as short as possible.Hope this helps.I am actually planning on moving the 32" to another room and doing the same thing,the only problem will be the remote will not have a line of site to the receiver so you'll have to get up to change the channel.there is also another solution but it's expensive.There is a wireless hdmi adapter that connects the signal wirelessly but its about 400-500 dollars.

rick

...the only problem will be the remote will not have a line of site to the receiver so you'll have to get up to change the channel...
If you're using a 622/722, you don't need to get up to change the channel, or spend $$ on an extender. Use the UHF feature on the 6.3 remote. This will work for TV1 or TV2. There are several posts in the forum on how to do this.

2 remotes

Set TV2 to IR/UHF Pro, in the menu, and you can use two remotes (IR & UHF) in two locations. I have my parents' 622 set up that way on TV1. It's how I'm planning on setting mine up, too.

I am using 2 remotes now.the ir for tv2 and the regular remote for tv1.I am considering running an hdmi cable from tv1 to another bedroom so when i'm in bed i can watch hd.The dish box is with tv1 in a movie room connected via component.

I am using 2 remotes now.the ir for tv2 and the regular remote for tv1.I am considering running an hdmi cable from tv1 to another bedroom so when i'm in bed i can watch hd.The dish box is with tv1 in a movie room connected via component.
The set-up I'm referring to actually provides for the use of more than 2 remotes. In my parents' case, they have TV1 on 2 displays, one controlled by an IR remote (primary) and one controlled by a UHF remote (secondary), plus TV2 controlled via a UHF remote. That's using modulated output of course but, it should work the same for any of the outputs. The same should be true of TV2. If it's set to IR/UHF, you should be able to to use more than one remote there as well.

All that's kinda off the topic I was looking at. Anyway, the splitter is cheap enough that I think I'll try that first. If it's a problem, I'll look at the switch as an alternative. Anyone have any suggestions for the aesthetics part?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)