Extending RF remote range on an H24

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Buddy of mine has got a sports bar. They wired it 10 years ago with component video and put the rack in the basement.

With the way the tv's are mounted to the walls it's almost impossible to run new cable.

So I got all the receivers on RF remotes, but the range is spotty if best.

Anyone got any ideas on how to extend the range?

The other option we are looking at is getting a tablet with wifi, but I would rather use the directv branded remotes

is it possible to run cables in the basement to move the RF antenna closer to where they will use the remotes, not necessarily up to the main floor but at least in that general vicinity? all you need is some RG6 with connectors on it and the adapter for the antenna plug.

Not sure how many receivers but if 8 or less you could do an IR extender and give each receiver its own IR channel (I confirmed on my H24 in "advanced setups" under remote control settings that there are 8 options. Put something like an X10 remote IR sensor behind the bar that they aim at, and the receiver pointed at the rack.

I imagine their RF signal would be strong than the H24 remote/receiver built in RF.

Reactions: AZ.
There is no RF antenna inside the receivers.

I think there are 7 receivers. Was not sure how many separate remotes. Thought it was a max of 3

Almost like I would want to use something like a cell booster antenna.

You will have to find and purchase compatible IR extenders or IR/RF adapters to do what you want, and there's plenty of different kinds and ones out there, but there's no integrated way to extend the RF capabilities of an IRD at this time.

Or, just had this idea. Connect them to the internet and control them through the app. OR find someone that has the code to control them over ethernet (I don't have it, and don't know where to find it, just know that it is doable), and build a small app.

i believe thats what the tablet he mentioned in post 1 was referring to. with that many recievers its probably the easiest and cleanest way to do it. no extra wires and such. just make sure they sign up for the PPP so the tablet is covered in case anything happens to it. worst case scenario is someone spills a drink on it and *presto* instant upgrade.

i believe thats what the tablet he mentioned in post 1 was referring to. with that many recievers its probably the easiest and cleanest way to do it. no extra wires and such. just make sure they sign up for the PPP so the tablet is covered in case anything happens to it. worst case scenario is someone spills a drink on it and *presto* instant upgrade.

$39 tablet is what I plan on using

*shrug* whatever works. its simply the most elegant solution to the problem, so long as it doesn't choke and have to be reset every hour. plus the boss can use their device in addition if they feel like it. i doubt the bar uses more than ~20 channels anyway so its not like they're going to be using it that heavily.

Looks like someone wasn't paying attention "in class"

Did they even go over that in class? I thought we were both told that they didnt want us doing that (for obvious reasons) but some people have figured it out. I got the information originally from LS Mod to circumvent a separate issue (that was patched a few weeks later) and figured out how to disable kiosk mode. Also the intel tablets got the Lollipop update, everything still works, but the root apps broke and supersu is shot... but so far everything is still functional otherwise. And I just realized none of this is relevant to the original post. My apologies.

Buddy of mine has got a sports bar. They wired it 10 years ago with component video and put the rack in the basement.

With the way the tv's are mounted to the walls it's almost impossible to run new cable.

So I got all the receivers on RF remotes, but the range is spotty if best.

Anyone got any ideas on how to extend the range?

The other option we are looking at is getting a tablet with wifi, but I would rather use the directv branded remotes

What kind of cable is being used for the component? If it's RG6 or even RG59 I would cut the ends off one of the wires and install F connectors then hide a H25 behind the TV.

Thought of that. But it's RG59

It would probably work

Worth a try if it's a short run, I've ran DirecTV on RG59 before but it was long before SWM was around. I would think SWM would actually work better on RG59 than the old standard since it's not having to carry power.

it pretty much depends on the length of the cable and what its being used for. RG59 is awful for whole home (even though thats a much lower freq, go figure) but its less flakey on the older KaKu lnbs. if i had to guess why its because everything is being broadcast on every cable run for swm, so its alot more crowded.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts