Extending UHF remote range

mckeg

Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I am running the TV2 output from a VIP 622 to an upstairs room, the TV picture is fine but the remote operation is erratic. I have a second RG6 coax cable running from the reciever to TV2, can I use that to relocate the remote antenna to the TV2 location? If so is their anything special I should do with the cable?
Thanks in advance.

We had the same problem with our TV2 signal. All we did was change it to the B band under the battery cover and it worked great. B band allows for more distance but only works on the new receivers I think.

... I have a second RG6 coax cable running from the reciever to TV2, can I use that to relocate the remote antenna to the TV2 location? If so is their anything special I should do with the cable? …
Yes, you can extend the remote antenna that way. I extend my remote to an outbuilding about 150’ away using this technique. I have two antennas, actually. One is in the house near the receiver and the other in the outbuilding. Using a splitter/combiner at the receiver, a remote control at either location will operate it.

No need to do anything to the cable, but in case you weren’t aware, you can make your own antenna by simply exposing the center wire in the cable. Just expose an amount equal to the length of the original antenna (or double that length if you want even greater signal strength) and make sure none of the shielding or braid touches the wire.

Thanks to both for the replies.
I'm not at home at the moment, I'll yor suggestions when I get home.
By the way, I asked dish about using the coax cable and they didn't recommend going more than six feet.

I would say the six foot limit is a bit short, but it is probably for speed. Just know that the longer the cable the longer the time for the signal to get to the box. Also, for us, the B band seems a bit slower than the A band. Not by much but we could tell.

I would say the six foot limit is a bit short, but it is probably for speed. Just know that the longer the cable the longer the time for the signal to get to the box. Also, for us, the B band seems a bit slower than the A band. Not by much but we could tell.

At 186,000 miles per second, how much longer does it take the remote signal to get to the receiver? :)

I just upgraded to a 722 and thought I would try this method. For me it didn't work. Instead, I hooked up both remote antenna connections to the output of a coax amplifier, made up an antenna with about a 3 foot length. It worked in my situation. I'm not quite sure why the splitter system didn't work. I tried various combinations and it failed each time.

I just combined the TV2 signal with the UHF antenna behind the receiver and split it at the TV2 location. Just hooked up the antenna right to the splitter.

I just combined the TV2 signal with the UHF antenna behind the receiver and split it at the TV2 location. Just hooked up the antenna right to the splitter.

I did the same thing. I tried different splitters. I even hooked up the amplifier to boost the signal to the receiver. The best I could do was to get the remote to work when it was about 6 inches from the antenna.

ok gang...Here's the rub on remote antennas...The splitter method has worked fine for me..However..If there is a lot of glass(windows) between tv2 and the receiver, it will cause problems. also if there is a mirror near the tv 2 location....Or a wireless internet router..or a wireless alarm system in the house.. These can cause recpetion issues.
On rare occasions, some homes are just not cut out for UHF remote reception...

ahh add a amplifier at the remote location, attach the remote antenna to the amp and run RG6 coax to the box wherever it is. then lock the receiver so a nearby home cant accidently buy PPV on your box.

i did this many years ago our house has some metal lathe in it.

i use a adjustabe gain amp, set at max i could change channels a long walk away, so i turned the amp down.

a regular tv amp works fine adjustable gain is a good idea

I have a splitter with one end connecting to a television and the other connecting to a UHF remote antenna at a remote location. I used a splitter that was above 900 mhz and had interference issues. I swapped it for one that is less than 900 mhz and no more interference.

They got a device called an "antenuattor" or something like that that filters noise and it gets u working... what I did in my 625 is extended the range by using a cable connected to the UHF antenna port and ran the cable to a more near by location say outside my window LOL or just near by and it worked well.

The antennuator is free from dish btw.

Theres alot of free accesories , battery doors, recveiver doors uhf antennas.

I got some antenuattors that I had kept in the past because I had never used one before. Might come in handy now.

Their free accessories are free but what do they charge for the S&H? $14.95?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)