External Hard Drive Database Seagate / Maxtor 500 gig

External Hard Drive Database Seagate/Maxtor 500 gig, Any Problems With These Drives?

• Seagate ST305004FDA1E1-RK FreeAgent Desktop 500 GB USB External Hard Drive

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Seagate ST305004FPA1E3-RK FreeAgent Pro 500 GB USB/eSATA/FireWire400 External Hard Drive

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Seagate STM305004OTA3E1-RK Maxtor OneTouch 4 500 GB External Hard Drive

• Seagate ST305004FPA1E2-RK FreeAgent Pro 500 GB USB/eSATA External Hard Drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seagate ST3500630A 500GB ATA100 7200rpm 16MB Hard Drive With Masscool External Enclosure UHB-330U

• Seagate ST3400601U2-RK 400 GB External Hard Drive USB 2.0

• Seagate STM305004OTA3E5-RK Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus 500 GB External Hard Drive

• No Problems With These Drives

• Total voters

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
I few days ago I stated in thread that I would try to put together a spreadsheet on External Hard Drive Bugs... I am thinking of approaching it differently by making a poll or polls as to the durability of the different brands of EHDD's... then we will have the data to start a spreadsheet rather than searching the threads.
I know there are many models of these drives, If I missed one let one of the Staff know and we can add it. If you have problems with one of these drives please note the problem and model in a post...

I've definitely got the top Seagate Desktop 500GB (non pro). I bought it at Fry's last year when OfficeMax had it on sale for $129. (price match)

This is the one that spins down after initial power that the 622 won't communicate with unless you unplug it (power) then power it back up.

You might also want to add a thread for misc HD. Just a Yes/NO poll and have them list drive size/brand and if applicable brand/model of enclosure

I have 2 Seagate 500 GB Freeagent Desktop Drives and 1 Calvary 1 TB drive. I have sleep mode disabled on the Seagates and have had zero problems with them. No problems so far with the Calvary after a week.

NightRyder

I have 2 Seagate 500 GB Freeagent Desktop Drives and 1 Calvary 1 TB drive. I have sleep mode disabled on the Seagates and have had zero problems with them. No problems so far with the Calvary after a week.

So, your 722/622/612 works fine with 1 TB drives despite them saying that only 750GB is supported? :up

So, your 722/622/612 works fine with 1 TB drives despite them saying that only 750GB is supported? :up

The external I have does but it's a single drive model, I've heard the multiple drive ones are more problematic.

NightRyder

I just added a 500GB Maxtor One Touch. Staples by my house had the price wrong, and I got it for $90, instead of $140 :D Moved one HD movie, watched part, went fine. Am now moving 90+ episodes of Rugrats just to free up some HD space on my 722. Seems to be going okay.

Just to add $.02 to this discussion...

The Seagate Freeagent drive sleep-mode is a well known problem.

Basically, it is my understanding that the power-down mode on the FreeAgent series is not compatible with the way that Linux tries to re-awaken a drive from a sleep mode. Yes, Linux. I've run into this exact same problem on Linux boxes (Ubuntu) using the same 250GB Freeagent drive that I used to use on my 722. Works fine when awake, but once it goes into sleep mode, Linux can't re-awaken it. I am almost positive that I've read somewhere that the underlying code in the 622/722 is Linux-based. If so, I'd bet that it's the same bug.

Disabling the sleep mode with the Freeagent software works, but then your drive will stay hot (literally!) and spinning forever. Not great for power consumption nor longevity of the drive due to the heat and constant spinning.

On a PC, there is a way to patch the Linux OS modules that handle the USB communication. It took me, a Linux noob, about 20 minutes to research, apply the changes, and correct the problem. It involved modifying a handful of configuration files. For someone that knows what they're doing with Linux, it might take 2 minutes.

If this is the same problem, I'd think that DishNetwork could have this fixed with a minimal amount of coding effort on their programmers' part.

Doesn't matter to me anymore, as I've replaced the Freeagent 250GB with a Western Digital MyBook 500GB. The 722 has no problem waking up this drive from its sleep mode.

Last edited:
I have two older Maxtor Onetouch 4 drives that worked fine, but two newer ones have sleep problems. I bought a remote control power switch which is easier than unplugging them. I plan to avoid Maxtor drives in the future.