External Hard Drive Error

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Seadoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
After 1 year I am now getting errors when I go to transfer to my Seagate EHD. It starts transferring, gives error message, disconnects HD even though it is still connected and then says there is no hard drive connected. Anybody else having this problem? Cause?

I can't transfer anything to my 750gb Seagate Pro, I can watch what I have on it, but can't add nothing else to it. I still have about 500gb of storage on it that I can't use. My WD's work fine, sorry I bought the Seagate.

Seagate drives have a sleep problem. After a period of time they go to sleep and the Dishnetwork receivers can't wake them up like a computer can. If you disconnect the drive (either power or USB) then reconnect it, you can probably get it to work again until it has been idle too long and goes back to sleep. I bought a couple of Maxtor drives during the summer that have this problem also. I bought a remote control power switch to make disconnecting and reconnecting the EHD easier, but the best solution is to avoid buying one of these drives in the first place.

Last edited:
Seagate drives have a sleep problem. After a period of time they go to sleep and the Dishnetwork receivers can't wake them up like a computer can. If you disconnect the drive (either power or USB) then reconnect it, you can probably get it to work again until it has been idle too long and goes back to sleep. I bought a couple of Maxtor drives during the summer that have this problem also. I bought a remote control power switch to make disconnecting and reconnecting the EHD easier, but the best solution is to avoid buying one of these drives in the first place.
On the Seagates, why not just use the INCLUDED software to turn off the sleep feature? Ive done this on three drives and all work perfectly.

the included PC-only software?

Some people don't use those anymore, you know...

:)

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I had the same problem with my WD external drive. The fix was removing the drive and putting it in a cheap 15 dollar external inclosure and plugging it back in. Now it's faster and seems to be trouble-free...

*knock on wood*

Not the issue. I already took care of the sleep problem a long time ago when I first bought the disk drive. It worked fine for a year. This problem is different in that it actually disconnects me.

the included PC-only software?

Some people don't use those anymore, you know...

:)

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I had the same problem with my WD external drive. The fix was removing the drive and putting it in a cheap 15 dollar external inclosure and plugging it back in. Now it's faster and seems to be trouble-free...

*knock on wood*

What type enclosure and why does that work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)