Not open for further replies.

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
I have a Sony VAIO K Series (PCG-K23) notebook computer and I have been debating the idea of adding an external hard drive to this system.I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with these type of hard drives,how they perform,etc...I looked at a couple of these hard drives at Wal Mart recently,they were in the $80-$120 price range.Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions. :) EDIT:After I submitted this thread,I noticed that I was in the wrong forum.Would a mod mind moving this to the Gadget Corner forum?Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I use a 40GB Western Digital external drive with my Dell laptop. It takes two USB connections (one for data, one for power). It's very good for moving large amounts of data between the laptop and another computer if you're not networked. It works with USB 1.1, but it's a lot faster with USB 2.0.

You can get some external hard drive cases that will allow you to put any internal hard drives into them. You can buy several internal hard drives or use some that you may already have or can get cheap and put them in the external hard drive casing.

I just purchased a Western Digital 250 gig hard drive brand new on ebay for $105. Installation is a snap.....just plugs in to an electrical outlet and to a usb port. But I bought it for a desktop not a laptop. So if you don't mind plugging it in then you should be ok. Another thing that is a big downfall for me......my desktop only has usb 1.1 and the transfer is PAINFUL!!! My next move is to buy a usb 2 card....it's about 30 times faster than 1.1. Good luck!

Sounds like the USB 2.0 board will be a very good investment. I would think that they could be had for really cheap.

Thanks for the replies so far. :) What I have in mind is purchasing an external hard drive of some type to transfer data and info from the C drive of the VAIO to the external drive to free up space on the laptop hard drive.Does this sound like it would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts