External hard drive issue.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tdiguy

Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
MA, USA
So I had a older vip622 i bought a WD passport external 500 gig drive ( usb 3 backwards compatible to 2 ) and i connected it via a powered usb hub ( because it does not have external power i figured a powered hub would be a good idea )
I was able to format the drive and transfer ( or at least i think i transfered ) all my recordings off the 622.

So now i have a hopper with sling and a joey. Not knowing if it would be the same file system i made an image of the drive onto my laptop and it takes up about 160 gigs of space.
I connected this drive up to the hopper in the same manner and it asks to format the drive. I say yes and it sits there so far i let it run for 20 minutes before i figured it wasnt going to work.
Any idea's on what is going wrong?

I don't think you can use an EHD from one type of DVR to another. And formatting your EHD should have wiped it clean. Hook it back up to your computer again and see if the data is still there.

You can go between receivers on your account, as long as they are active on the same account. ie: you can go from a 612-722 etc to a hopper.

It may take a couple of days for the Hopper to settle in. If after 2-3 days you are still getting the wsame message, call Dish and ask for a rehit. I had no problem using the ehds I had on my 722's on my Hoppers.

Ok so how long should it take to format the drive? It is only a 500 gig drive and last night i let it attempt to format for 30 minutes before i disconnected it.

If it was used on a VIP other than a 211, it shouldn't need to be reformatted. However, if it is a fresh drive, it should be the only ehd attached to the Hopper. I had a problem if another drive was also attached.

If you answered yes to reformatting then all content will be gone with no hope of recovery.
Never say yes unless you mean to remove everything.
Uncertain but complete erase may be quicker by writing with a different file system and remounting.
Formatting may rewrite the entire disk and thus take a long time for a large disk.
-Ken

Ok i will wipe the drive again and remove partitions and see if that helps with this ridiculous long format time. I have never seen it take so long to format a drive except when doing a DOD wipe on a drive. The data is already backed up on my computer i expect that once i get the drive to work transfering it will be the easy part.

Do you have a 2nd ehd hooked up to the Hopper? If so, remove that before you try to reformat. I had the same problem when I tried to format an ehd while I had a 2nd ehd hooked up.

I only have 1 drive connected. The newest annoyance to develop is that now the hopper does not seem to recognise that i connect the drive to it. No message pops up at all and it does not show up under external hard drive. I hit the reset button on the front of the hopper 3x to try fixing this issue. I am thinking it might be more of a soft reset though by how the hopper boots up so fast. I will try unplugging it for a bit late tonight when i know nobody is using it and nothing is being recorded.
Having 4 tuners to record is pretty great and i really dig the tv anywhere. I can watch my shows while the kiddo's watch their shows and i can be right in the same room.

Despite the fact you have it on a powered hub and it worked on the 622, you still are playing a game of chance with Passport drives. I would suggest you get a AC powered drive or a Dock.

Reactions: ChadT41
I do have a old 120 sata hard drive and a sata to usb adapter ( wall power adapter also for that ) I will give that one a try next. This has been very annoying trying to get something that should be pretty simple to work properly.

I do have a old 120 sata hard drive and a sata to usb adapter ( wall power adapter also for that ) I will give that one a try next. This has been very annoying trying to get something that should be pretty simple to work properly.
Remember, USB powered drives are not recommended OR supported by Dish.

You are correct. Some people have reported success stories. But like @KAB said earlier, doing so, you are playing a game of chance if it doesn't work, or only works for a short period of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts