External Hard Drive upgrade....

sno543

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Modesto, Ca
I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the cheapest way to go to set this up? I assume I can always add to it if I need to. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. Thanks.

get an external hard drive, plug it to the vip622, follow the prompts, call to have it activated ($40 one-time fee).

Thanks Pepper...

but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on what to buy. I knew about the upgrade fee already.

I know about buying the drive. Which one works best? I also think I read somewhere that you need to buy a rack for the drive. Will any rack do? I am looking for something inexpensive that will work until I can upgrade or add to it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My 722 now has 3 750 GB WD drives connected through the 722-powered USB 4 port (~$6.50). I plug in the correct power supply to the end of a power strip, one at a time. My biggest complaint is that it takes a long time to transfer a number of files, especially painful when I changed my movie rating (IMDB) breakpoint from 8.0 to 8.1, BTW 8.0 is about 4 stars in normal parlance. You have to unload one disk and then load those files/recordings to the other and meanwhile you cannot watch any external recordings. It is helpful that restored recordings are flagged as protect--this prevents overwriting of those just restored. The third drive is for series like The War, Planet Earth, Northern Exposure (3 seasons), and (in progress) Futurama and Arrested Development.

My current desire: "library sort" so that a/an/the are ignored or rather placed after a comma, guess der/die/das and le ... would also help in comparing the Dish name sort with the IMDb sort. I did this for my Excel sheet so I could compare the top 250 on IMDB with my 1100 or so DVD listings. You really do not want ~20% of them starting with The or A. My entries to IMDB are currently only for those on the hard drives
-Ken

sno543,

This is just an example, but ...

go to EagleBit.com - Where to keep your PC running! Computer Parts, PC Components, Desktop Computers, Laptops, Notebooks. Buy an external enclosure for whatever kind of hard drive you can find on sale someplace. In my case I had a 160GB IDE drive not installed in anything. I bought one of eaglebit's Consus USB-to-IDE drive enclosures. It was VERY inexpensive. I think they have them usb-to-SATA and usb-to-SATA/IDE so you have choices. This enclosure with a hard drive in it seems to work just fine. I think KAB is using them as well.

You can also pick up the Eagle enclosures on newegg. Just enter "Consus" into newegg's search box. (without the quotes). I'm sure there are other enclosures that people are using, but this is one I know works. Cost is around $25 to $40 depending on which enclosure you get. If you get one that can have EITHER an IDE or SATA drive inserted into it, then your upgrade options are just that much more flexible in the future. You can get a 250GB hard drive for about $65. Ready-made 500GB external drives can be as cheap as $110.

That help?

sno543,

This is just an example, but ...

go to EagleBit.com - Where to keep your PC running! Computer Parts, PC Components, Desktop Computers, Laptops, Notebooks. Buy an external enclosure for whatever kind of hard drive you can find on sale someplace. In my case I had a 160GB IDE drive not installed in anything. I bought one of eaglebit's Consus USB-to-IDE drive enclosures. It was VERY inexpensive. I think they have them usb-to-SATA and usb-to-SATA/IDE so you have choices. This enclosure with a hard drive in it seems to work just fine. I think KAB is using them as well.
Yes, and I just bought another one from Newegg (the IDE & SATA). Units like this are the way to go if you are of the mindset to keep your drive on 24/7. The pre-builts are usually plastic cases that were not designed for extensive use, and several members have reported failures due to such. The hard drive I use is a WD5000AAKS (Western Digital). They make other sizes in the AAKS line.

Buy a SATA/IDE to USB adapter and plug it into any unused HD you have or buy.

I have such an adapter and use it with 3 250GB SATA hard drives.

The adapter will cost you less than $30 and each 250GB hd is less than $80 maybe cheaper.

Multiple smaller drives offer more safety from failure.

I purchase Seagates with 5 Yr warranty.

I even picked up a 400GB for $90 off Tiger Direct special sale.

The Western Digital 750GB My Book Essential is on sale at BB this week for $159.99. I have a 500GB My Book Essential that I bought last year that works great with my 622.