External Hard drive ?

lunaemt

Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Indiana
I am getting a replacement receiver. I was having recording issues. I have shows and movies that I have not watched yet. I have transferred them to the external hard drive. I want to know if the programs that I have on my external hard drive will work on the replacement. I have a Vip722 any help would be great. The Dish people were not much help. One told me yes the other one told me no. I don't think that either one understood the question. :confused:

I think this question belongs in the technical issues forum, not here

Instead of being so helpful you coulda just reported the post and asked them to move it.

Once the replacement receiver is activated, you should be able to view them as the hard drive is for all Vip receivers on your account. I don't think the dvr models work with the non-dvr ones.

What gary said.

I was having issues with my vip722 receiver and dish determined that I needed a replacement receiver. I also had programming that I wanted to save. I moved the recordings from the old 722 onto my external drive. Once the replacement receiver arrived, and after installing and activating it, I connected the external drive to it and I was able to watch everything on it without a single glitch.

You should be just fine. It really is a great feature and I'm glad it works so flawlessly.

I am getting a replacement receiver. I was having recording issues. I have shows and movies that I have not watched yet. I have transferred them to the external hard drive. I want to know if the programs that I have on my external hard drive will work on the replacement. I have a Vip722 any help would be great. The Dish people were not much help. One told me yes the other one told me no. I don't think that either one understood the question. :confused:

After recording most of my recordings from my 622, I hooked it up to my 722 then my 722K to make sure they did play with success. After the failed 722 and 722K (bad hard drive) I got another 722K and the prompt came up after I would hook up the external " This hard drive will work with one receiver, it needs to reformat and all recordings will be deleted" or something close. I called Dish and they were not aware of the "unlimited move" or even the previous 3 move. The tech asked a few people in the dept. and finally found someone that said " yes, you have unlimited moves with the hard drive". He then said to give it 10 minutes and it would work.

I did and it did.:)

I am a bit confused about the "give it 10 minutes and it would work" post.

Does this mean they had to send a command to the new receiver to turn on that feature?

Because I upgraded from a 622 to a 722k yesterday, and I still get the notice that the external drive needs to be reformatted message. I really do not want to lose what I moved over to that drive before the replacement.

Is a call to tech support all that is necessary?

Thanks in advance for the help.

When you use a external hd with a 622,722 it is interchangeable with those models.

If you use an ext hd with a 211, it also is interchangeable with those models,

Going from a 211 it won't work on a 622-722 without re-formatting it and erasing the recorded material.

I did not have the same luck as some of you others.

I called Dish and asked about how I could get the hard disk that was originally connected to my three year old 622 to work with my new 722k. I told them I was under the impression that this was possible, since that is what the CSR told me when I signed up for the uprade.

After almost 30 minutes on the telephone, and ending up with a supervisor, I was told that the programs on that hard disk were not going to be saved, because the original hard disk was formatted with an older version of the software on the 622 that is not compatible with the 722k. They told me that the only way I would be able to make this work would be to copy it all back to the 622, connect the EHD to the 722k, reformat the disk, reconnect it to the 622 and then copy the programming back to the EHD. The 722k would then have no problem reading the drive.

Sounds good, except the the installer took the 622 with him after installing the 722k and it was already in transit to Dish. So I am out of luck.

The are going to credit me one month of service to make up for the bad information I was given by their CSR.

I suggest to anyone doing an upgrade, that you connect and test the EHD before the tech leaves your house, just in case you have to go through this ridiculous procedure!

I formatted the drive, and it works with the 722k. I just lost a lot or programming, that I should not have lost...............

I did not have the same luck as some of you others.

I called Dish and asked about how I could get the hard disk that was originally connected to my three year old 622 to work with my new 722k. I told them I was under the impression that this was possible, since that is what the CSR told me when I signed up for the uprade.

After almost 30 minutes on the telephone, and ending up with a supervisor, I was told that the programs on that hard disk were not going to be saved, because the original hard disk was formatted with an older version of the software on the 622 that is not compatible with the 722k. They told me that the only way I would be able to make this work would be to copy it all back to the 622, connect the EHD to the 722k, reformat the disk, reconnect it to the 622 and then copy the programming back to the EHD. The 722k would then have no problem reading the drive.

Sounds good, except the the installer took the 622 with him after installing the 722k and it was already in transit to Dish. So I am out of luck.

The are going to credit me one month of service to make up for the bad information I was given by their CSR.

I suggest to anyone doing an upgrade, that you connect and test the EHD before the tech leaves your house, just in case you have to go through this ridiculous procedure!

I formatted the drive, and it works with the 722k. I just lost a lot or programming, that I should not have lost...............

I don't believe this is true. I had the same issue, and the tech simply reauth'd my receiver. The drive now works on both my 622 and my 722K

No. 211 only at this time.

What about the 222? I'd like to add a second HD receiver to my household, and just move the 750G drive full of stuff from my old 622 over to the new receiver and have a second DVR that way....

What about the 222? I'd like to add a second HD receiver to my household, and just move the 750G drive full of stuff from my old 622 over to the new receiver and have a second DVR that way....
222 is not EHD capable. Even if so, you could not use it with 622/722...non compatible software. Plus, you would have to pay one time fee for both series.

I don't believe this is true. I had the same issue, and the tech simply reauth'd my receiver. The drive now works on both my 622 and my 722K

Same here. He needs to call back and get another tech.

222 is not EHD capable. Even if so, you could not use it with 622/722...non compatible software. Plus, you would have to pay one time fee for both series.

So really the cheapest route for me is lease another 622 or 722, and activate the external drive feature on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts