External Hard Drive

Building

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I have 2 USB hard drives that I used for Dish Network shows. How do I use these drives on my computer now instead? I just want to use these as backup drives now for my computer. I don't care about the shows on them anymore. I hooked them up, but I don't see them in Explorer anywhere. Thanks for any help!

reformat the drives through windows in ur device manager so u can delete everything from dish and reformat the drive for windows use.

reformat the drives through windows in ur device manager so u can delete everything from dish and reformat the drive for windows use.

I'm using Vista and I don't see anywhere in my device manager to reformat the hard drive. It gives the correct name and says "device is working properly". I can't see any of the files (movies), so I don't know how I could deleted them. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way?

try again

I'm using Vista and I don't see anywhere in my device manager to reformat the hard drive. It gives the correct name and says "device is working properly". I can't see any of the files (movies), so I don't know how I could deleted them. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way?

Icon of computer on desktop. Then right click. Then manage. Storage, Then the disk should show up. Right click on the drive should give you choice of format on it.

Try this,

Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management
Right-Click USB HDD and Formate.

If all else fails, boot to a Startup Disk floppy and use FDISK to delete
and create a partition, set up for single partition then formate with
Vista (if you use Startup Disk to formate it will be FAT32 not NTFS)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)