External Hard Drives Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdvaughn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
This might be a stupid question, but you guys are way smarter than me.

Is it possible to transfer stuff that I already have on an WD My Book to another WD My Book? I got a 4TB drive for Christmas and wondering if I could swap them. The one I'm using is a 2TB. I know that obviously I could move stuff back to my box and then put it on the new drive, except it's almost full so I know it won't fit if I try to put it all back to my DVR box. (722 DVR box)...

Thanks in advance!

This might be a stupid question, but you guys are way smarter than me.

Is it possible to transfer stuff that I already have on an WD My Book to another WD My Book? I got a 4TB drive for Christmas and wondering if I could swap them. The one I'm using is a 2TB. I know that obviously I could move stuff back to my box and then put it on the new drive, except it's almost full so I know it won't fit if I try to put it all back to my DVR box. (722 DVR box)...

Thanks in advance!

2TB is the EHD limit that Dish recommends.

To answer your question, no you can't transfer from one EHD to another one. You could upgrade to a Hopper which currently supports 2 2TB EHD's.

Is it possible to transfer stuff that I already have on an WD My Book to another WD My Book? I got a 4TB drive for Christmas and wondering if I could swap them. The one I'm using is a 2TB.

Yes you can. I've done it with a Linux LiveCD by letting the receiver format the new drive and just dragging/dropping. The issue as noted above is that the 722 does not support 4TB drives. (Note that I haven't tried it.)

Yes you can. I've done it with a Linux LiveCD by letting the receiver format the new drive and just dragging/dropping.
Very few are knowledgeable enough. nor would want to be for this issue. So, for the othert 99.8% who would ask the same of the TS...like JSheridan said...No, you can not transfer from ome EHD to another.

If you have vast amounts of time and nothing on your internal HD you can transfer programs from the EHD to the receiver, swap external drives, and transfer the programs to the new EHD.

Like TheKrell said, it can be done directly if you're willing to boot to Linux on a PC.

I bet it will be something like "this drive is not recognized for use as an EHD" or some verbiage along those lines...

Sounds like you've done this already, harshness. I don't have a spare >2 TB drive that I can try it with, so I'll defer to someone who has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)