external hard drives what is the best?

I have one of these on the H3. It is powered by USB. I've never had a problem with it. It is always present in the DVR list but I do get a spin up delay when I go to watch something on it.
Screenshot_20181218-115127_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

IMO, the Western Digital "My book" type external drives are superior. I've been using some for 9 years now, and never had one fail yet.

I wish I could say that. I bought a 4 TB My Book last year For my computer, And in less than six months it developed bad blocks. I think I’ve salvaged as much as I can but I hate to get rid of it because there are still things on there I want to try and move to my new EHD

Copy what several others have said - Western Digital. I prefer the blue label models (to clarify, I have my own external case). YMMV.

Hello radio guy…

Were you referring to my posting or someone else’s?

please allow me illustrate in words exactly what I’m talking about

I will copy it all below for your analysis…

Any input or response would be much appreciated!!!

Does RAID 1 actually WORK for Hopper 3 as a dependable and usable backup in case 1 of the RAID 1 drives fails?

I have a Dish Network Hopper 3

If 1 of the 2 drives in the external RAID 1 fails

And then you plug the other good drive directly into the hopper 3, doesn’t the Hopper 3 just automatically ERASE it and reformat it?

Therefore you will NOT have your usable back up.

And you’ve just LOST ALL of your recordings?

I really Really REALLY want to have my Hopper 3 recording’s backed up somehow!!!

I’m thinking about buying a 4 TB Western Digital My Book Duo

I was hoping that if I hook it up as a RAID 1 it will provide me with the dependable and usable BACK UP that I want so badly.

BUT will this back up be USABLE when 1 drive fails?

Or will it just get ERASED and reformatted when plugged back into the Hopper 3?

Please help me… I really need someone’s help… I’m pretty smart… But I’m no expert

I am aware of the option of a RAID 1 hooked up independently into a customizable external hard drive enclosure

As opposed to buying the factory made encased Western Digital 4TB My Book Duo.

But either way DOES this work?

Will this work for me?

I need 100% assurance that my Hopper 3 recordings are backed up and fully recoverable, dependable and usable!!!

If 1 of the RAID 1 drives fail and I go to the other good drive to recover my recordings

Will it just get ERASED and reformatted by the Hopper 3?

Is it EVEN POSSIBLE to back up Hopper 3 recordIngs?

Has anyone ever done this successfully?

After 1 of the hard drive fails in a RAID 1

I don’t care how I back up the Hopper 3 recordings.

I just want the recordings backed up somehow.

It doesn’t have to be RAID 1 or whatever.

please Please PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thank You!!!

Mr. Deeper

It will only see up to 2 TB so no reason to buy larger.

The Hopper sees the RAID enclosure electronics, which gives it the programming from the good drive. The Hopper doesn’t see two drives in RAID 1, it sees one. The replacement HDD will be cloned.

See my answer to this question in the other thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
IMO, the Western Digital "My book" type external drives are superior. I've been using some for 9 years now, and never had one fail yet.

Same here except I had one fail out of around 10 or so.
I wish I could say that. I bought a 4 TB My Book last year For my computer, And in less than six months it developed bad blocks. I think I’ve salvaged as much as I can but I hate to get rid of it because there are still things on there I want to try and move to my new EHD

When that one My Book (WD green drive inside) failed, I put it on a LInux computer and discovered 1 small and 3 approx 500GB ext3 partitions on it. The first one had gone bad, so I lost only the programs that were on that first partition.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hello sir do you think a western digital 2 TB my book duo external hard drive would work

set it up as a RAID 1

will the mirrored back up work to restore my recording’s if the primary drive failed

or will the hopper 3 simply erase and reformat it when it’s recognized?

Any help would be appreciated

I’d love to somehow have my dish network hopper 3 recordings backed up somehow

and not be at the mercy of one hard drive failure

Thank You

Deeper you are spamming the boards repeating the same question over and over again.

1) Hardware RAID such as use in WD MyBook duo configured as RAID 1 appears as a single drive to the Hopper3
2) The Hopper3 addresses the Hardware RAID controller in the MyBooK Duo enclosure not the disks
3) If a drive in the MyBook Duo, configured as RAID 1 (mirroring), the second drive will continue to hold a copy of the information that your Hopper3 can access, do not remove the good drive from the MyBook enclosure and attempt to access directly from the Hopper3. The Hopper3 needs to access the drive through the RAID controller to recognize it, the controller masks the actual drive from the accessing device AKA Hopper3
4) If a single drive fails replace it in the enclosure and follow the rebuild instructions.

TLDR: A WD MyBook Duo with 2-2TB drives configured as RAID 1 will provide the redundancy you so want.

Hopefully that answers your questions and you can stop spamming the boards, copy and paste of repetitive posts is considered spamming.

Also the format of your posts make it extremely hard to read.

Reactions: osu1991
Same here except I had one fail out of around 10 or so.

When that one My Book (WD green drive inside) failed, I put it on a LInux computer and discovered 1 small and 3 approx 500GB ext3 partitions on it. The first one had gone bad, so I lost only the programs that were on that first partition.

more likely the superblock on the partition was bad, and needed to be repaired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)