external hard drives what is the best?

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
good evening my friends what is the best external hard drive to use with ahopper with sling i need to trasnfer all my bluegrass videos to it. and then add them to my new hopper 3. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen Culver
Streator,illinois

good evening my friends what is the best external hard drive to use with ahopper with sling i need to trasnfer all my bluegrass videos to it. and then add them to my new hopper 3. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen Culver
Streator,illinois

bluegras, I personally have been using Western Digital My Books for years on a pair of 211Ks. Have never had a failure with one of these drives. Available at Amazon for $93.01 for the 2TB...
Gerry

Reactions: DWS44
after i get the hard drive how do you transfer the shows to the EHD i have a hopper with sling dvr?

Make SURE it is a USB3 drive, so it will transfer onto the H3 faster than it came off the old. 7 times faster, I read.

i need to transfer all the my bluegrass shows about 150 of them to my EHD Cumberland highlanders,reno old time music hour.bluegrass underground.

When adding an EHD to the hopper 3, does it expand the storage or take the place of the internal hard drive? Or is it only for transferring recorded shows?

With the new carbon interface can you see recorded content on the external drives using Dish Anywhere. I have archived Macy Parades, Rose Bowl Parades, Fireworks Displays, and other programs that I would like to share with my family.

Reactions: navychop
I got the My Book Duo Raid USB 3.0 drive. Has dual 2TB drives working as Raid 1, so they are mirrors. If one drive fails you do not lose anything, plus its USB 3.0 for the H3.

I'm posting this in hopes that it will help someone else. If your just using it to transfer, you can get a 4TB mybook and do what I did below.
Then when your done, you can format it back to a 4TB NTSF drive for whatever. (google for instructions to get it back to normal)

I have a 4TB WD Mybook. I plugged it in and it formatted on the receiver fine, but it wouldn't let me transfer shows.
I was getting an 855 error. I deduced that even though it looked like the receiver was recognizing it just fine, the limitation of 2 TB was the deal breaker.

However, I went into windows Disk Management and noticed that the Hopper had created 4 partitions on the drive. 1 - 1TB partition, 2 - 500GB partitions and a 4th partition with the remainder of the space on the drive (nearly 2 TB). I right clicked on the large remainder partition and selected delete. This changed the remainder to un-allocated. I plugged it back in and it transferred fine. This was great for me because I just needed 2 TB of space to move my shows from one hopper to another.

I'm posting this in hopes that it will help someone else.

Good day!

Reactions: navychop
I use a WD Elements drive that I bought many years ago. I have used the same drive with my 622, 722, 722k, and 2 different HWS receivers. No problems at all. Before that, I had a Seagate drive. The Seagate had a problem waking up after it went to sleep. I had to unplug/re-plug the Seagate drive multiple times until the receiver would finally recognize it again.

I got the My Book Duo Raid USB 3.0 drive. Has dual 2TB drives working as Raid 1, so they are mirrors. If one drive fails you do not lose anything, plus its USB 3.0 for the H3.
Regarding Gadgtfreek post....Will RAID and Hopper 3 really work?…

He said he’s using a 4TB western digital my book duo external RAID Drive set up as a raid 1 (mirroring)

so he’s able to back up his Hopper 3 external hard drive on one of the two 2 TB hard drive‘s in the external enclosure

but if that half of the 4 TB drive fails and you connect that mirrored hard drive that you think is your back up

When you plug it into the hopper 3 it’s going to reformat it and erase all the content ...

am I wrong???

I'm posting this in hopes that it will help someone else. If your just using it to transfer, you can get a 4TB mybook and do what I did below.
Then when your done, you can format it back to a 4TB NTSF drive for whatever. (google for instructions to get it back to normal)

I have a 4TB WD Mybook. I plugged it in and it formatted on the receiver fine, but it wouldn't let me transfer shows.
I was getting an 855 error. I deduced that even though it looked like the receiver was recognizing it just fine, the limitation of 2 TB was the deal breaker.

However, I went into windows Disk Management and noticed that the Hopper had created 4 partitions on the drive. 1 - 1TB partition, 2 - 500GB partitions and a 4th partition with the remainder of the space on the drive (nearly 2 TB). I right clicked on the large remainder partition and selected delete. This changed the remainder to un-allocated. I plugged it back in and it transferred fine. This was great for me because I just needed 2 TB of space to move my shows from one hopper to another.

I'm posting this in hopes that it will help someone else.

Good day!
Hello sir do you think a western digital 2 TB my book duo external hard drive would work

set it up as a RAID 1

will the mirrored back up work to restore my recording’s if the primary drive failed

or will the hopper 3 simply erase and reformat it when it’s recognized?

Any help would be appreciated

I’d love to somehow have my dish network hopper 3 recordings backed up somehow

and not be at the mercy of one hard drive failure

Thank You

Copy what several others have said - Western Digital. I prefer the blue label models (to clarify, I have my own external case). YMMV.

The new Hopper will read an EHD from a previous Hopper or ViP. I’ve done this all the way from the ViP622 to the HWS.

The receiver cannot tell if it’s writing to a single drive or an EHD. That’s all handled by the enclosure.

It is best, but not always required, that the two drives in a RAID be identical. I had one drive in a RAID fail and replaced it with a same size drive. Don’t remember if it was same brand and model. The enclosure will copy and make a mirror image onto the new blank drive. I let it run overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
With the new carbon interface can you see recorded content on the external drives using Dish Anywhere. I have archived Macy Parades, Rose Bowl Parades, Fireworks Displays, and other programs that I would like to share with my family.
No. None of the Hoppers are able to show content from external drives using Dish Anywhere. That is the one feature that I missed the most when going from a 722K to the HWS. The older 722s would show the external drives, and were able to play videos directly from the EHD with Dish Anywhere.

When the Hoppers were released, when we discovered that the EHDs didn't work with Dish Anywhere, Dish gave us the BS excuse that it was a software bug (an accident) that allowed Dish Anywhere to work with the EHD on the 722s. That is one bug I wish they didn't fix. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)