External HD questions

Just saw WD has an "Elite" model for $129 @ Amazon. It has a little window that displays the available capacity and personalized drive label. Wonder if that available capacity feature would come in handy? Does the DISH software tell you what space (or hours) is available on the EHD?

Edit: A reviewer stated: "If you choose not to use their horrible software, then the e-label doesn't work."
Not sure if that would apply to the available capacity meter or not, I imagine it would. I plan to disable the Smartware so it may be a waste to pay extra for the capacity meter feature and not use it. Hmm...

Amazon.com: Western Digital My Book Elite 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAH0010HCH-NESN: Electronics

Yeah, you will see how much space you have in the dish UI. Its cool too because you see how much space each show takes up as well.

I thought you could not swap them between receivers, good to know. I am using WD HDs. I am using a strip power supply by American DJ and a USB hub to connect multiple HDs.

Typically, how many hours of HD content will 1 TB hold? I realize it depends on the compression used, but just a ballpark. What size HD is in the 612?

Thank you everyone for all your help. DISH came through and honored their promise for the free EHD activation. I installed the firmware update for the 1 TB WD Essentials which hides their software everyone complains about. 930GB at the start.

I've been transferring over movies/shows most of the night, doing it in batches. The present batch I'm transferring is around 15 GB (roughly 9 hrs of HD movies) and estimated time says 2.5 hrs. Seems to vary though from batch to batch. The DVR hasn't rebooted once, so that's good. I aimed a fan to blow over the DVR while transferring thinking heat may(?) have caused my reboots, helped or coincidence, not sure.

My WD Essentials has vents on 3 sides (bottom, top, back), so laying it down on it's side shouldn't be a problem. Lots yet left to transfer. Need to get this done so I can install the new 612. I think I'm going to really enjoy having the EHD. Will update when done. Thanks again!

As noted in the "External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread" but for completeness here, 930GB (GB=1024^3, in common usage) is the same as the maker's 1TB=10^12 bytes. There is no lost space nor reserve for software or formatting.

1 hour of HD recording is based on MPEG-2 encoding of OTA signals, approximately, as is the SD size.
I find 800-900 MB/hr used for Dish SD MPEG-2, 1800-2500 for Dish HD MPEG-4, 3000-4500 for Dish HD MPEG-2, 4000-6500 for OTA MPEG-2. Thus HD MPEG-4 takes 2 to 3 times SD MPEG-2 and OTA takes much more. I base this on more than 1000 recordings. Some airings seem to have not been re-encoded for "tight" MPEG-4 and are bigger--maybe MPEG-4 header on MPEG-2.
-Ken

Sure you can

I thought you could not swap them between receivers, good to know. I am using WD HDs. I am using a strip power supply by American DJ and a USB hub to connect multiple HDs.

Any VIP (W/ 3 exceptions of 211 & 211k you can only use the EHDD on those models 222k can't use a EHDD yet.) can have the EHDD moved to it as long as all are on the same account.

All programs transferred over to the EHD no problem with no DVR reboots. I believe the fan helped with that. My last transfer - 3 HD movies which were 15.6GB, took 2 hrs 20 min which equals 6.85GB/hr transfer rate. Will do a speed test to compare the 612/722 later.

Replaced the defective 612 w/the new one. Works like it should.

Amazing how much the 1TB EHD will hold....gotta love it! Only problem I have is the power switch on the Essential EHD doesn't seem to work. That is a power switch, correct? No reference to a power switch w/paperwork it came with. For people w/o a power switch, to turn off the EHD, are you just unplugging the USB cable or both USB/power cable? Does it really decrease the life of the HDD to leave it powered on?

Only problem I have is the power switch on the Essential EHD doesn't seem to work. That is a power switch, correct? No reference to a power switch w/paperwork it came with. For people w/o a power switch, to turn off the EHD, are you just unplugging the USB cable or both USB/power cable? Does it really decrease the life of the HDD to leave it powered on?

I bought a WD My Book Essentials 1TB EHD back in December and it must be the previous model to the one you bought, it doesn't have the power switch.
I have been told by people on this board to leave the EHD on at all times, I also am concerned at just how much this will decrease the life of the drive?

I leave most of the HDD on, limited by plug space but, of course, I can only have one USB plugged in at a time. If you use a USB switch, then you must remove power, switch or cord, from the others. My 2 722s and the 8 HDD's USB cables looks rather like an old telephone switchboard/rat's nest. Actually one USB is a open stand for 2 large bare internal HDDs with one or both either on the carpet or the top of one 722. I would have gone that way for all had the stands been available when I started and I would have more of the stands.
-Ken

How many EHD's can you have on one receiver? I was recently told by a CSR that you could only have one.

bear, the receiver can only send/receive to one hd at a time. These guys with multiple hd's and hubs are trying to figure out ways to switch between different external hd's without getting off their duff. It's a mental challenge you can appreciate if you grew up in the 70s or before. Why ?? Because as child, you were the remote......switching between 4 OTA's, or after 78 or so, 12 or 13 cable channels. Fortunately, I had a little brother who camped out on the floor in front of the TV.

davepo, thanks for the reply, but what I meant is if I fill up one hard ehd can I get a new ehd and use it with the same receiver? I know they would not both be plugged in at the same time. I was told by a csr that I could not.

davepo, thanks for the reply, but what I meant is if I fill up one hard ehd can I get a new ehd and use it with the same receiver? I know they would not both be plugged in at the same time. I was told by a csr that I could not.
As usual, CSR is wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)