External HD Recordings not playing back on Hopper 3, recorded with Hopper 2000

For what it's worth, I just tried to playback recordings recorded by my old HWS on 2 EHD's and they played just fine. I also transferred some shows from the H3 to one of the drives and it works as well.

Could be a case of getting a hit and doing a plug pull reset.

Seems like everyone upgraded to a H3 from the HWS and not the H2K like I did so, not sure why it doesn't work with the original enclosure and SATA to USB that the drive came in and was recorded in on the H3 but works fine with a different SATA to USB converter. Not sure what controller the one that works uses and what the ones that don't work uses as I read about JM Micro not being good.

I turned in my old HWS and my H2K for the H3. I moved all the drives, including the one hooked up the H2K and it was one that played just fine as well. Try to remove and reseat your USB cable or move it to the other USB port.

Already tried that, the same setup plays back fine on the H2K, just not the H3. What's weird is that it seems like it's not receiving all the data or something as it's showing less recordings while when I use the Unitek USB 3.0 to SATA adapter that handles the power, the bare HDD works fine on the H3 as mentioned on post #20. Both the Western Digital My Book and the ThermalTake uses the same controller chip for the USB to SATA converter being USB\VID_152D&PID_2567 whatever that is. I mean both #1 and #2 works correctly even on my PC which shows this is how the Hopper 2K partitions the 2TB drive:
yh5BkiW.jpg

It depends on the controller that sits between the hard drive and the USB interface as it's not the storage device itself that is the issue. Even the same model drive can be different as it depends on the revision and where it is made. There are some 2TB Western Digital MyBook's made in Malaysia and there are some made in Thailand and ofcourse it also depends on the batch. Remember my drive does not have the issue, it's the controller that converts from SATA to USB that is where the culprit is. On the Western Digital My Book, this is where the problem is as they can use different chipsets for the controller depending on the revision:

https://www.harddrivesforsale.com/4...bWaE4YypuAxfYQeHP6UqfAwf_p5FsVd3yIaAo_-8P8HAQ

The Western Digital My Book Duo that has two drives running in a RAID configuration, if the enclosure dies, you will lose the data forever due to the hardware encryption even though the drives are fine and you can't put it in a new identical enclosure, it won't work either:

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-book-duo-data-forever-lost-if-drive-enclosure-dies/6496

Last edited:
Just in case anyone wants to know, I have successfully cloned the working HDD to another Samsung 2TB HDD as seen in the post here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3834963/

Not sure if one can clone from a WD MyBook EHD or not as everything written by a MyBook EHD is hardware encrypted by WD and requires the same USB to SATA Converter board with the same firmware version should the one in the enclosure fail.

More info about Western Digital External Drives having encryption here:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-self-encrypting-drive-you-may-already-own/

I'm glad that I found this thread because I am having the exact same issue, though in my case the EHD's came from my prevous ViP 622 setup on multiple receivers. We upgraded to the H3 and now only one of our EHD's works. Previously, all three EHD's worked just fine.

I called tech support and the gentleman I spoke with said that they didn't have much information on the error itself. He did state that it might be an issue with having three EHD's plugged into a powered USB 3.0 hub and that the collective total of the drives (6TB) was responsible for generating the error. However, when I went down to just one drive powered on (and after a reboot), I still got the 1221 error when trying to access certain recordings.

Almighty1 - Are you saying that you were able to get your data off of the drive that was giving the "spin up state" error (1221) by cloning it to another drive, and that it then worked and was viewable on your H3 with no further error 1221's?

I ran into something similar when shopping for an external USB enclosure for a 2 TB SATA drive I wanted to put together from scratch. It turns out the USB-to-SATA in the enclosure on some cheaper models wouldn't allow the ViP 211 to see the drive. It was recognized on my Mac, though. I eventually went with a USB 3.0 enclosure and the specs said it could handle a SATA drive up to 6 TB in size, more than Dish supports. With that enclosure, the ViP 211 saw the 2 TB drive right away.

The Authorization Hit is what we use when this happens with the EHD. What I have asked customers to do is PM me with the phone number and make sure the EHD is connected to the Hopper 3. Depending on when you get the Hopper 3 will determine the steps to take to resolve this issue.

When I get the acount information, I will check to see if the old Hopper is on the account and send a "Hit" to both receivers to get the pass-key to pass through.

@mikeH_dishNetwork - As mentioned earlier, this has nothing to do with the hit as you can see from my posts above, I resolved the problem on my own. Using the exact same physical drive, only the USB to SATA Adapter was changed. The Hopper 3 is just like a computer which runs a Operating System and within the OS, there is drivers needed to support other hardware. Certain hardware or the drivers may be incompatible with the hardware so it can be a problem between the hardware or it can be a problem with the software that talks to the hardware and also the timeout setting just like a BIOS in a computer.

@mikeH_dishNetwork - As mentioned earlier, this has nothing to do with the hit as you can see from my posts above, I resolved the problem on my own. Using the exact same physical drive, only the USB to SATA Adapter was changed. The Hopper 3 is just like a computer which runs a Operating System and within the OS, there is drivers needed to support other hardware. Certain hardware or the drivers may be incompatible with the hardware so it can be a problem between the hardware or it can be a problem with the software that talks to the hardware and also the timeout setting just like a BIOS in a computer.

With my apologizes the message was not directed at you it was to let the those who have this issue know what we have to do on the DISH end when a customer changes out their HD DVR systems if it's not reading the EHD.

With my apologizes the message was not directed at you it was to let the those who have this issue know what we have to do on the DISH end when a customer changes out their HD DVR systems if it's not reading the EHD.

Right, but does that also apply to this problem where some have been unable to read EHDs as of the U331 software update? (mine are OK.)

With the U3.31 software added to the Hopper 3, it was to fix a lot of the external devices that are connecting to the hopper 3 (Smart Phones/Tablets/iPad as well as the EHD). The issue some were having was once they swapped out it would block the transfer to the new Hopper 3 and we would have to get their information and send the Authorization Hit to get the pass-key to transfer over.

With the U3.31 software added to the Hopper 3, it was to fix a lot of the external devices that are connecting to the hopper 3 (Smart Phones/Tablets/iPad as well as the EHD). The issue some were having was once they swapped out it would block the transfer to the new Hopper 3 and we would have to get their information and send the Authorization Hit to get the pass-key to transfer over.

Interesting. But how does one know if the hit is the fix? What I mean is if one drive works but another one doesn't but if I swap the controllers, then the same EHD works because the USB to SATA bridge works, will this actually fix the issue? The thing is I wish there was a way to see the log of when a device is plugged in, what it shows up as so that DISH can take the make/model of the the identity of the device and fix it as you can see above, I have a external HD docking station that works in the H2K but with the Hopper 3 before U331, it would recognize the drive but it will not show all the recordings and when doing playback, it will not play with a 1221 error. If I change the USB to SATA Adapter cable, then the drive works fine with the Hopper 3. I thought the Hopper 3 just has to be authorized and basically any EHD will work afterwards if it was authorized assuming it's not a compatibility issue.

Just installed new replacement H3 for some other older problems such as locking up and corrupting timer menus. Got several "hits" from DISH during install and the H3 works good so far with EHDS installed before U331. WD 1tb My Book with Smart ware encryption removed by reformatting on PC then H3 works good.
Seagate 2tb Slim works good.
Seagate 750gb GoFlex works good. WD, Toshiba,and Seagate drives with all my shows 8TB worth still locked out. DISH says they know about and are working on a fix. I'm going to take one out of enclosure and buy a controller as Almighty1 suggested next. Can you recommend a cable and a dual dock for cloning that you have found to work with the U331 update?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The adapter comes with the cable so basically you can use whatever combination of cables, adapters or enclosures you want as long as both drives are seen on the pc to clone the drive. A Working adapter/enclosure/docking station that works under U331 just needs to be used on the Hopper 3 before the Hopper 3 can see the drives.

All these years later & doing same thing. I just upgraded from 722K to Hopper 3 & Joey 3. When I 1st try to watch a EHD recording I get the spinning up msg then picture goes black. I then have to get back the same listing & hit start over. Then it goes to live TV with the EHD folder on screen. I go back to listing, hit start over again & the 3rd time is usually the charm & it will play. This only seems to happen on the 1st attempt to play each EHD recording. After that, starts right up. Serious PITA but at least I didn't lose some incredible recordings on my EHD. I never had my EHD integrated to reciever through Dishnet. Just plugged it in to usb.
Other than that, this thing kicks the 722K's butt!! Why did I wait so long to upgrade? Had 722K over 12 years.

Now, for some reason, it stopped showing used memory space on internal DVR. Did show 1% used. Now the whole percentage used is missing. Still shows used EHD memory. That's probably on a different forum question though.
-Joe

All these years later & doing same thing. I just upgraded from 722K to Hopper 3 & Joey 3. When I 1st try to watch a EHD recording I get the spinning up msg then picture goes black. I then have to get back the same listing & hit start over. Then it goes to live TV with the EHD folder on screen. I go back to listing, hit start over again & the 3rd time is usually the charm & it will play. This only seems to happen on the 1st attempt to play each EHD recording. After that, starts right up. Serious PITA but at least I didn't lose some incredible recordings on my EHD. I never had my EHD integrated to reciever through Dishnet. Just plugged it in to usb.
Other than that, this thing kicks the 722K's butt!! Why did I wait so long to upgrade? Had 722K over 12 years.

Now, for some reason, it stopped showing used memory space on internal DVR. Did show 1% used. Now the whole percentage used is missing. Still shows used EHD memory. That's probably on a different forum question though.
-Joe
If you JUST GOT the H3, you need to give it 48 hrs or so to cook in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts