External HDD 750GB Limit Removed in the Spring SW Releases....HDD Recomendations?

jdmart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
Albuquerque
The good news I heard in the Technical Chat last night was the removal of the 750GB limit on external hard drives scheduled for the Spring software releases. External HDD folders sorting is also coming in the Spring which is a welcome addition. I was already shopping for a 750GB HDD but will now look for something larger. Would like to hear your recommendations for 1TB+ drives.

I strongly recommend not using external hard drives bigger than 500gb.

Not because of anything technical, but simply because the bigger the hard drive, the more you lose when it fails.

Unlike PC hard drives, you cannot backup Dish Network external hard drives, so if the drive dies, everything on it is gone forever. The bigger the drive, the more you lose.

500gb hard drives are still the most gb per dollar.

If you buy two 500gb hard drives, it will cost less than a 1tb drive, and when a drive dies, you will lose only half your TV shows and movies.

I strongly recommend not using external hard drives bigger than 500gb.

Not because of anything technical, but simply because the bigger the hard drive, the more you lose when it fails.

Unlike PC hard drives, you cannot backup Dish Network external hard drives, so if the drive dies, everything on it is gone forever. The bigger the drive, the more you lose.

500gb hard drives are still the most gb per dollar.

If you buy two 500gb hard drives, it will cost less than a 1tb drive, and when a drive dies, you will lose only half your TV shows and movies.

Exactly. I have 1 TB of DIsh archive already, but it is split into two 500GB drives. With only one connected at any point in time. Much safer. And cheaper.

Since day one, there have been several people reporting using 750GB and 1T's successfully. And yes I agree about smaller drives.

What is the smallest drive that DISH receivers will recognize?
The drive must be at least as large as the internal drive.

It is also important to note that this external storage is not available for live recording, so if you thought you were going to stack up several hundred hours of recording unattended, that's not how it works.

Know also that the technologies used by some manufacturers to go above 750GB were designed more with bulk storage in mind than live multimedia access. They're performance characteristics are decidedly different and may not be suitable for all purposes.

The drive must be at least as large as the internal drive.

Are you sure about that? I thought the minimum was 40 GB.

I'm looking forward to them allowing more than one external storage unit connected at a time. And the TC comment on folders for external was welcome, too.

In addition to the 40GB minimum, don't forget that USB flash drives are supported for pictures. I don't know of any flash drives approaching 40GB, but would speculate that this is part of how the system determines whether it is a flash drive with photos or a hard drive with recorded content. I'm not sure how the Archos players will factor in, though. Another factor in the 40GB minimum probably has to do with their partitioning scheme.

I wouldn't be surprised if the above is true and was implemented as a short-term solution that will be corrected in the spring updates! :)

I'm kinda new on this External HDD stuff but was wondering where a good (cheap) place online would be to get a 500 or 750GB at? And what are the prices like for these things? Thanks for the help guys..

There are a number of threads dealing with bargains (albeit dated) and real-world results. A little digging with the search feature can result in a gold mine of potential vendors and recommended models.

For me it was important that the drive have a built-in fan since I am not likely to be manually powering down the unit. I found a LaCie model that worked well and has a 500GB Samsung drive in it. Other people have ordered the same unit only to find it has a Seagate drive in it (some Seagate drives default to a sleep mode which can cause problems).

The usual vendors are worth checking: BestBuy, Circuit City, CompUSA, PCMall, CDW, NewEgg, Tiger Direct, etc. That list includes one vendor I refuse to do business with, and one I prefer to do business with. YMMV.

Good luck!

I don't know exactly what they are removing I am already using 1TB drives on a 622 and 722. They are WD mybooks and they work great!

You are beyond the supported limit -- so if it goes bump in the night; don't call Dish for support :)

THat's not to say it doesn't work but if you really need support you stay within the boundaries.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)