External HDD 750GB Limit Removed in the Spring SW Releases....HDD Recomendations?

My "MyBook 500" failed. I'll never buy another one. It was kinda quirky when it worked- "off" button did not work reliably. Others have reported the same.

My "MyBook 500" failed. I'll never buy another one. It was kinda quirky when it worked- "off" button did not work reliably. Others have reported the same.

I'm interested in Seagate because of the 5-year warranty. I know there are issues with Seagates and dish right now but supposedly dish is working on a fix. It would be nice if dish rolls out the Seagates fix, folders sorting, and the unlimited HDD in the Spring but I won't count on it.

The only issue with Seagate is if you by the Seagate FreeAgent drives, and, if don't use the utility to turn off the sleep mode settings in those drives. I avoided all that by purchasing 3 Seagate DB35 320gb video drives and putting them in better quality enclosures. I have not had any problems, period. Just moved about 100gb off my 622 onto drive #2 last night and left it running. I'm watching stuff on that same external right now.

So with the new release and the addition of folders, are they going to have to reformat the drives to get that feature? If so would it be better to wait? I haven't got one yet just waiting.

I hope we don't have to reformat. This is good news. Instead of a 750GB drive, I could build a 2->4TB array instead and wouldn't have to worry about drive failure.

There would not be a need to reformat. When the folder feature was added to the internal drive no format was necessary

I got a 400GB Seagate SATA drive from Tiger Direct for $98 and my USB to SATA/IDE converter for $25, so I can make any spare drive I have laying around an EHD to my 622.

No problems with spindown or anything else.

The drive must be at least as large as the internal drive.

It is also important to note that this external storage is not available for live recording, so if you thought you were going to stack up several hundred hours of recording unattended, that's not how it works.

I use a 120 GB drive I had lying around for an external drive on my 722. I am pretty sure that this is considerably smaller than the one in the DVR.

I'm not sure about recording directly to the external HD, though. There is an option in preferences to record directly to an 'ERD'. I tried to set up a timer to record to 'Ext'. But it didn't record to anything.

Hopefully this update will also remove the limit of swapping between 622's three times.

One thing I didn't know for the first month or so that I stumbled upon, was the ability to sort the list on the external drive either by date recorded or alphabetically. I was getting pretty frustrated till I figured that out. With over 200 shows on the external hard drive it was a pain to find what I wanted to watch. Not as good as folders but much better than by date alone.

Voyagerbob

One thing I didn't know for the first month or so that I stumbled upon, was the ability to sort the list on the external drive either by date recorded or alphabetically. I was getting pretty frustrated till I figured that out. With over 200 shows on the external hard drive it was a pain to find what I wanted to watch. Not as good as folders but much better than by date alone.
The way I found to do that, is to change the sort on the Internal Drive before going to the External Drive.

Is there any way to change the sort while using the External Drive ?

Or do you do it the same way I do ?

I wonder how long until a device comes out that pretends it's a USB hard drive but actually wirelessly, or wired can tap into a home storage array? Think iSCSI, or NFS support. Now that would be very cool.

The way I found to do that, is to change the sort on the Internal Drive before going to the External Drive.

Is there any way to change the sort while using the External Drive ?

Or do you do it the same way I do ?

That is exactly the way I have to do mine. Hopefully things will change soon.

There's this thing called Linux...

...it's how DVRs like this one work. Included with Linux is a low-level copy tool called dd that will copy information bitwise from one storage device to another. DD does not care what information is on the disk, what format it is in, what partitioning scheme was used, etc. It simply takes every 1 and 0 on one disk and places it in the same exact place on another one. I highly recommend trying Linux and all of the wonderful things that come with it. To get started using a computer you already own, go to ubuntu.com. If you would like to buy a new computer with Linux preloaded, go to dell.com and search for ubuntu.

I've been using a 1 TB WD drive now since mid February. IT is the single drive design and works very well. I tried to use another that is the dual 500G drives and it does not work.

I rarely post here but thought I'd see what others are experiencing and offer what I have been up to with this.

I recall the guys in engineering saying that it is a dual vs a single drive connection and they would be working on an update to allow multiple drives via a hub later on. In the meantime, the 622 will support the largest drive that is a single drive you can find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)