external hdd beeping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
I just bought a hard drive for the stb in my daughters room. I hooked it to the openbox s10. Although it recognizes it, the hard drive is beeping. I am thinking its not getting enough power as it works fine on a computer.
HDD: 500gb toshiba canvio connect

Is there a way to power this HDD if that is indeed the case while it is plugged into the stb? By the way Toshiba HDD use a strange plug and cord.

Yes you are correct that is the problem. That is why I always use an external powered HDD for STBs.
Yes you can buy a powered USB HUB, something like in the link below. There are cheaper ones and more expensive ones, I have not messed with a powered USB HUB in awhile so I don't know anything about the cheaper ones and if they are ok. Read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008VFAF/?tag=satell01-20

ugg. Wouldn't I be better off taking this hdd back to walmart and building one? The one I built for my openbox s9 has no trouble. It was a less than 5 dollar ide case and used Toshiba laptop ide hdd. Do you happen to know if this is related to 1.0 2.0 3.0 speeds. Seams to me that if I had a slower hdd then it would need less power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZSP1jKyHE8 This is the one I am using on my s9

Last edited:
openbox doesn't recognize hubs

Well after doing some research you are correct, nobody has ever got one to work, on an Openbox "S" Series.
So to the OP, yep I would take it back and buy an externally powered HDD, or build your own.

I use the hard drive adapter in the link below and just buy a "white label" hard drive of my choice off of fleabay also. I've got 3 of them and never had any problems with them. I also bought some of those little stick on rubber pads which I put on the smooth side of the hard drive and just sit it upside down on the shelf next to the receiver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item43b4f31d1d

Here's a 1TB hard drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1TB-32M...Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item1c1682c802

Well after doing some research you are correct, nobody has ever got one to work, on an Openbox "S" Series.

I have. I actually did not think using hard drive on the s10 would be a problem being that this one worked on the s9

S6302524.JPG
1996 USB 1.0
1998 USB 1.1
2000 USB 2.0
2008 USB 3.0
2013 USB 3.1

USB 1.x at high speed 12 Mbps
USB 2.0 at high speed 480 Mbps
USB 3.0 at high speed 4.8 Gbps
USB 3.1 at high speed 10 Gbps

USB 1.x Power usafe/ up to 500 mA
USB 2.0 Power usage/ up to 500 mA
USB 3.0 Power usage/ up to 900 mA
USB 3.1 Power usage/ 2 A at 5v/ 5A at 12v

I wonder if this worked because the external hdd case I used was 2.0. No matter what HDD I use it would be forced to operate at a slower speed. Slower speed = less Power. Does anyone happen to know what is the maximum that a usb port on a stb can put out?

Last edited:
Also believe the S9 has a little stronger power supply, so that may be why your's worked.
Slower speed = less Power
Might be the case for electric motors, or the 'gas' required per mile in a car, but Not in the case of data speed through any type of conveyance.
It's been covered many times previously in this forum, and others, use an externally powered USB drive and all is well with the openbox receivers. Some USB powered do work, but it's a hit and miss search.
Also, if it's a larger drive, make sure it doesn't have a burnt in hardware second partition with windoze backup software. Single partition only.

Also believe the S9 has a little stronger power supply, so that may be why your's worked.Might be the case for electric motors, or the 'gas' required per mile in a car, but Not in the case of data speed through any type of conveyance.
It's been covered many times previously in this forum, and others, use an externally powered USB drive and all is well with the openbox receivers. Some USB powered do work, but it's a hit and miss search.
Also, if it's a larger drive, make sure it doesn't have a burnt in hardware second partition with windoze backup software. Single partition only.

O.K.... I just plugged the hard drive I use for my s9 into the s10. It works perfectly. See pic
S6302525.JPGS6302526.JPG
Might be the case for electric motors, or the 'gas' required per mile in a car, but Not in the case of data speed through any type of conveyance.

I am an electrician among many things, one thing that is a fact, it takes more power W or different harmonics to get the magnetic flux needed to spin a motor faster. Maybe I should have said slower speed = less demand for power. Higher speed = higher demand for power. But I think you missed my point.

If I have the capacity to push 500 psi of water through a pipe that can handle 600psi you will still only have 500psi.
BUT... If I have the capacity to push 500 psi of water through a pipe that can handle 400psi you can only have 400psi.

As far as data writing and reading, a hard drive has a normal operating speed and they don't get up to that speed instantaneously. It takes several seconds for a hard drive to spin up or down. There are two exceptions to this that I can think of but it applies to a pc only. This is the more basic reason that data speed does not apply as the hard drive that is already at its normal or top speed doesn't need to go much faster if at all to transfer data.
It does require more power however to operate at usb 3.1 than it does 1.0. By allot. So what I am saying is it seems to me if I bought a hdd capable of high "data speeds" but matched it up with a 1.0 external case it could not draw the power of the demands of 3.0, therefore it also would not be capable of the hdd data speeds as it would be limited or bottlenecked by the hdd to usb interface built into the case. As the old saying goes, you are only as fast as your slowest component.
I think that the usb ports on stbs aren't always capable of the power requirements of the 3.0 and higher capable hdd thus the need for external power. I could use a usb thumb drive yes. But then I am quite limited to record time.

but an external powered 3.0 case works better on the s9/s10,as a matter of fact the only thing that will work for me.
Like giving hyperactive kids speed to calm them down.Makes no sense but it works.

An "external powered" I can understand. But I don't see the point. The stb doesn't need a faster usb protocol. And upon this past day or so pricing these external powered hdd vs non external powered hdd I am starting to think that I could build a mini home server for the same. All I wanted to do was have the ability to record and pause without running out of room. But $100 + for every stb to have a hdd I dont think so. I thinks that I will either build the hdd and post all components used or by stbs that have internal hdd or both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)