External HDD erased with software updates?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jman123

Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Colorado
Reading through the forum very few of you have had this problem of your external HDD being reformatted everyfew months just after a software update from directv.
Anyone know of a solution? I have a cavalry hard drive with the esata cable that came with the drive.
I have not other problems with the setup.

Any smart people out there that can figure this out? :)
Thanks.

It is very rare to have a drive erase, and it's not the software update, it is the reboot after.

During reboot there is an integrity check, if it fails, it formats.

If your drive is doing it every couple months, it's time to replace that drive (or DVR if internal).

Thanks jason.. Is there any way to replicate this "integrity check" that is done after the update. If I unplug the dvr or do a reset, the external hard drive doesn't erase, only after a software update.
If there is a way to replicate the "integrity check", this would help with troubleshooting.

This would work a lot better if the software recognized both drives in a Primary & Slave configuration. It's not like you know an upgrade is coming to unplug the external drive & it probably wouldn't matter anyway because I think the new drive (once connected again) requires a full reboot so at this time I think you have to just keep your fingers crossed or get another external drive. Are you sure it's reformatting the external drive or just losing the recorded shows upon the upgrade? You'd be surprised what a real format can do to an older drive in regards to making it healthy again.

From everything I've ever read it has nothing to do with the software update, just the reboot that follows. You could have the same thing if the power went out and came back on, the drive will erase during the reboot if the file system got messed up or there is a integrity problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)