External IP Address of 722

saxmann

Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Midwest USA
I recently subscribed to Dish and got the new 722k installed. I've use the Sling Guide Beta with promising results. However, I'm wondering if there is anyway to find out the external IP address of my home network by using the Sling Guide?

I have an Apple router (no Dynamic DNS setting) using 1 dynamic public IP address and private addresses on the inside. I normally have to have a computer running a DynDNS client in order for me to know the public IP address of my network when I'm not at home. But since my 722k is on all of the time anyway, it would be ideal if I could find its address through the sling guide or something similar.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks

Thanks for your reply. What I'm really trying to get at is finding my public, external IP address by using the 722 somehow since it is hooked up to my network already. I'm actually not trying to access the 722 directly, but using it to find my public IP address when I'm not home.

I know this is a strange question. The 722 and the Sling Guide knows what my external, public IP address is, in order for me to use the Sling Guide and program it when I'm away from home. I'm just wanting to know if I can access that information anywhere from outside my home network.

[background info]
The whole reason for this is that I have a hard drive attached to my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router. I don't subscribe to Mobile Me, so I have to have a PC running a Dynamic DNS router application at home so that I can find my public IP and access my hard drive from outside my network (since I do not have a static public IP address).

Thanks

The Sling service uses a PULL communications technique. For example, once activated your receiver calls out to the service and actively communicates with it. When your receiver is not actively communicating with the Sling service, their system cannot do anything to your receiver. That's why it was so convoluted during the setup process. But it's pretty cool how it works!

This allows it to be highly secure and secondly deals with the dynamic IP's that many customers would have (most home users do not have a static public IP address).

I'm pretty certain of this as I'm using outbound NAT from a private LAN (192.168.x.x networks do not route over the internet and are blocked from routing by most ISP's). See [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_IP_addresses[/ame] if you are not sure what I'm talking about.

So to help clarify your question, Sling only knows the momentary (unless static from your ISP, most have to pay extra for this) dynamic IP at the time the Receiver contacted the service for communications purposes.

I'm guessing at the moment that there is no way to view the current IP address of the receiver then.

What I envisioned doing is logging into the sling guide and in some preference/information screen see my public IP address of my home network. Then I can use that how I need to apart from the 722.

I know all about NAT and private/public IPs and the transport mechanism. I guess it's up to Dish whether or not they let me view the information that the 722 and the sling guide already have (even for a short time) when I view the sling guide from outside my home network. Thanks

I'm guessing at the moment that there is no way to view the current IP address of the receiver then.

What I envisioned doing is logging into the sling guide and in some preference/information screen see my public IP address of my home network. Then I can use that how I need to apart from the 722.

I know all about NAT and private/public IPs and the transport mechanism. I guess it's up to Dish whether or not they let me view the information that the 722 and the sling guide already have (even for a short time) when I view the sling guide from outside my home network. Thanks

You can use an URL Sniffer on your remote client to capture and look at the stream origination I.P.

The limited trial version, the URL Sniffer function works fine.
WM Recorder

Connect to your sling guide normally.

Open up a command prompt and type "netstat -a" without the quotes assuming you are using windows. Hit enter. It will give you a list of all ip addresses your computer is in communication with. One of them will be your home public ip address.

That doesn't appear to work for me.

The dynamic dns thing on the router is a really good idea, we use that a lot with remote VPNs at employees' homes.

Connect to your sling guide normally.

Open up a command prompt and type "netstat -a" without the quotes assuming you are using windows. Hit enter. It will give you a list of all ip addresses your computer is in communication with. One of them will be your home public ip address.

"netstat -a" will probably work but you will want to view after the video stream has started, the sling guide will have different I.P. then video from the 722k

That doesn't appear to work for me.

The dynamic dns thing on the router is a really good idea, we use that a lot with remote VPNs at employees' homes.

You can pick up a nice Buffalo router for cheap for about $60 on NewEgg... and put Tomato firmware on it. Works great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)