External Multiswitch with Dish 1000.2 Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Springbok

Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Springfield, IL
Greetings!
My porch was re-built over the last two days, and the Dish needed to come down for it.

The railings haven't changed (just the flooring), the dish was mounted to a railing. Great care was taken not to "move" the dish, in terms of satellite positioning, while I know it can be fickle, it's pretty well bolted down and I am relatively certain it's in position.

Foolishly, I didn't look to see how all the cables were run, specifically.

Two coax coming out of the dish, going into a Zimwell 6x8 Multi-switch, single coax into the house. Nothing from the house in, has changed...

I used to have DirecTV, and three dishes, hence the 6x8, even for just one receiver. The Dish Network installers reused it.

Where do the input lines from the satellite dish go into the 6x8 multi switch, specifically?
-----------------

I have a VIP612 receiver. I've run check switch numerous times, and I receive OKs across the board. I did run test within Check Switch once, and it told me that fewer channels than last time were detected(?). I opted not to save that test, but to go back to my older settings.

However, while running system info, it failed to produce signals to either 119, 110, 129. In Point Dish, it reports "not locked - name not acquired".

From what I can tell, I have the satellite dish aimed correctly, and I believe the cables are all correct.

I really don't want to get a tech out here for $99, especially if he flips on the TV, presses three buttons on my remote and moves one coax cable...=)

Thanks for the attention and any forthcoming suggestions.

Last edited:
I assumed as much from my research. However the coax run from the LNBs is only about 3 ft long, hence the switch is required (with current lengths). The 6x8 was used for about 7 months before this renovation took place. So while it should run straight to the receiver, or not be needed, it can be done...

Does anyone know the procedure?

The replies excite however because if the Dish Installer should have not used the 6x8, that gives me recourse to demand a tech visit from Dish Network with a waived $99 fee, since they didn't do it per specification last time around.

Is my logic sound there?

Just get a barrel connector and connect the cable coming from the dish to the cable going to the receiver (bypassing the switch). If you get the same result after doing the direct connection it is likely that the dish is not aimed correctly. Very minor adjustments can make a huge difference. You'd be amazed. Once you have it connected directly. Just make minor adjustments until you lock on. It really isn't that hard.

When buying a barrel connector, you do not want those with a white center, you want a blue center insulator for less attenuation at high frequency.
They replace all my wall outlet barrels/ferrels when installing a second 722 even though the white ones were working for a 622+722 and would not leave the 722 for me to install. Eventually I replaced their cable pass thru replacement on my whites with bolted down blues.
-Ken

Although KKlare is technically correct, I've found the white ones to work just fine in my tailgate setup. ;)