external power to a HH motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
Is there a simple way to power up a HH motor(preferably using a coax cable) so all I need to do on the main cable is send USUALS commands and power the LNBF? I need to use a 4-port diseqc switch before the motor. Thanks.

Could use these to.

Attachments

• image-611792595.jpg
    image-611792595.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 353
  • image-3103733852.jpg
    image-3103733852.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 352
  • image-3172927186.jpg
    image-3172927186.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 302
Good Question! I will need to research and test to verify. I typically don't use voltage blocking splitters.

In this case it shouldn't be necessary to block the voltage before inserting the fixed 18Vdc.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Would 21V-DC be too much for just the motor? I have a 21V DC I could use. Also Brian on the setup you provided, my SG-2100 needs an LNBF(or something) connected to the LNB side of the motor to move on command. Do you have a suggestion here? Thanks.

My Openbox S-10 puts out 19.5V on H transponders. Brian if I connect nothing to the SG2100 port, my motor won't respond to commands, unless I push east or west buttons on the motor. Hook up an LNBF and motor moves with USUALS commands. Does this sound right? Do they make a terminator to complete the circuit to make the motor move without any LNBF?

Without a LNBF connected to the SG2100 "LNB IN" port, does the Motor LED light Green when connected then flash yellow when selecting another satellite?
With a LNBF connected to the SG2100 "LNB IN" port, does the Motor LED light Green when connected then flash yellow when selecting another satellite?

This issue may not be the motor, but rather the Openbox. ALI chipset SDK can be weird if not recoded. The Openbox might not issue correct DiSEqC commands without seeing a return signal noise from the LNB. This may have something to do with the Auto DiSEqC "feature" that is active by default in the SDK.

Let's be sure that the STB is seeing a connected LNB. Is your system wired this way to test?

1. STB "LNB IN" to Splitter "Output" port
2. Splitter "Input #1" port to DiSEqC switch "Output" port
3. DiSEqC "Input" ports connected to LNB "Output" ports
4. Splitter "Input #2" port to Power Inserter "To Receiver" port
5. Power Inserter "To Antenna (Dish)" port to the HH Motor "Receiver In" port

Hard to say what factory manufactured or what "VERSION" of SG2100 you own. Seems like they started out only a Moteck product with a DMSI label, but then as years went by the "Genuine" product was sourced to other factories and went through many problems and hardware configurations. I own several early model units (back when they were but solid and robust). These early production SG2100 motors do not require a LNB be connected to the "LNB IN" port to function. This may have changed with later versions. I quit buying them when they turned to crap around 2007.

Last edited:
I need to pickup a power passing 2-port splitter and will try it next week. I just hooked up from the diseqc switch out to HH to see if it would move. I'll let you know when I get the splitter how it works. Thanks.

I tried doing the same thing using two splitters (1 port DC pass and a 2 port DC pass) about a year ago but I was unsuccessful getting the DiSEqC commands to the motor.

I put together my own splitter with a capacitor to pass the 22 KHz DiSEqC commands about a year ago and used it successful until about three weeks ago when I put together a Raspberry Pi / Arduino DiSEqC controller which I am now using and testing.
Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

I’m wondering about this also. My rinky-dink meter supposedly can move an HH motor but I’ve found that is not the case at all. It just doesn’t have what it takes to move a 1meter dish.
However, I’m very likely going to be getting a new AI Turbo S2 soon. I am wondering if it will be able to move a dish? I’m thinking it probably won’t be able to. If that’s the case I was trying to figure out how to do it without bringing an STB outside along with the 100’ extension cord, TV, power strip, table, etc.. Having a small, hand held gadget that will operate an HH dish without cords would be very, very handy to have..

I tried doing the same thing using two splitters (1 port DC pass and a 2 port DC pass) about a year ago but I was unsuccessful getting the DiSEqC commands to the motor.

I put together my own splitter with a capacitor to pass the 22 KHz DiSEqC commands about a year ago and used it successful until about three weeks ago when I put together a Raspberry Pi / Arduino DiSEqC controller which I am now using and testing.
View attachment 97673View attachment 97674View attachment 97675

Hi, Great mod.. I want to pass 22 KHz DiSEqC commands through a multi switch. Any idea how to do that ? pls help.

I want to pass 22 KHz DiSEqC commands through a multi switch. Any idea how to do that ? pls help.

Use a (parallel) bypass. Diseqc can be used serial (in cascade) or parallel; no problem

So what is it you are trying to achieve? It would help if you elaborate a bit, to come up with ideas....

Greetz,
A33

Hi, tnx for the response. I want to pass 22 KHz DiSEqC commands through all the lnb ports on a multiswitch. Let me explain. I have chaparral bullseye feedhorn. I want pass 22 KHz to get V/H Low band V/H High Band on a Universal LNB.

22KHz commands are typically passed through both DiSEqC and 22KHz multi-switches via the active port. The STB 22KHz tone is either on or off. This will cause conflicts with a cascading a 22k multi-switch and the universal LNB(f).

Example: if the 22KHz tone is on to access the multi-switch 22k ON port, the LNB(f) high band will be active without a way to access low band (22k OFF). Likewise, if the STB 22k tone is off to select the multi-switch 22k OFF port, the LNB(f) low band (22k OFF) will be selected without ability to select high band (22K ON).

When using a universal LNB(f), a DiSEqC type switch will allow satellite selection, polarity selection and high/low band (22k ON/OFF) selection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)