Extra Receiver... Can I...?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ReverendEltonJones

Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I have a HD package with DirecTV. The house is wired for 3 receivers, I have 3 receivers in use. I use only 2 of them (inlaw moved on). Is it possible to purchase a 2nd DirecTV Dish and install it at the lake (recreational property) and connect the unused, active receiver to a new HD Dish at the lake so that I can access all channels (NFL playoff's). In other words, is it possible to split my existing contract into two locations?

Assuming you are talking about your local HD networks, you must still be in the same DMA/spot beam.

And this should be only used as a temporary use; permanent use should be setup as another account.

If you're within the spotbeam, yes it's possible. I won't get into the "is it legal" thing. It does violate your contract, but technically it can work.

The correct and legal answer would be to create another account at the new service address, otherwise you may run into some problems down the road.

Keep in mind that you will not be able to hook up the receiver at the second address to a phone line, you will not be able to have DirecTV come out and fix any issues or service problems you have at the second address (and maybe even the first if the tech needs to see all the receivers). Basically, you're entirely on your own for installing and servicing the second address.

Mirroring Fraud (one account with multiple receivers but at different locations) is punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison. You need to decide if you want to take that risk.

Thanks for the response. So to sum up, it would appear that it is technically possible, but there appears to be a legal issue. Like many, I'm stuck in a contract for 3 receivers but don't use one of them, so I thought the best way would be for us to utilize our service at another location when not using the main service.Does anyone know if there is some sort of contract with DirecTV allowing use for the same clients at different locations?

If you mean as a permanent setup and under the same bill; NO. You can't just "legally" setup your mirrored $4.99/mo units at another address for good; or your primary receiver for that matter. This violates your ToS/EULA.

Separate addresses, mean separate services, means separate bills; even if its the exact same person.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts