Extra router to create wireless access point?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jmorlan

Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I have a spare wireless router. Is there a way I can use it to add my VIP722 DVR receiver to my existing wireless network?

This receiver has an Ethernet port which the manual says is intended for "future use." It would be nice if I could connect the spare router to that port to create an access point that would be recognized by my existing wireless network.

Is anything like that possible with this equipment?

Thanks.

Hey good info..... But it says Mine supports it but how do you go about changing router soft ware? Can you point me to a website that teaches this?

Personal experience...using a linksys wrt54gs and dd-wrt, 722 connected fine. 722K would not.

I use a WRT54GS and DD-WRT to connect one of my 722Ks wirelessly just fine.

Don't know why mine didn't...but it didn't. After all the work I put into it, I realized I could care less about being connected. Would not want to stream , sling..whatever. Getting too old for this....I HATE to admit.:D

Last edited:
If you ever try it again, try build 12548M, it's kinda old, but very stable. I have it on all of my routers, except the WRT54GS on the 722K and another WRT54G in the sunroom. They have build 12307M however I can't recommend that build anymore as it has a security flaw. They're basically the same firmware just 12548M has that flaw fixed. I figured out some workarounds to make 12307M safe again but in my case it was easier to do that than to move the routers and update the firmware.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12548/

Last edited:
Before you go monkeying with firmware on your gear first check to see if it supports bridging as it is. If so then that is all you need. Configure that AP as a bridge and then connect to your 722K via the ethernet. Also you must have a DHCP server setup on your lan as the dish boxes do not permit static addressing. If your AP does not support bridging now then investigate the options discussed above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)