Extreme LNB and primestar

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
What is the best way to mount an extreme LNB on a primestar? I have 3 of those mast brackets at different sizes and none fit. I guees I'll try bending a piece of metal and custom drilling the screww holes.

Nylon wire ties. Duct tape.

There are a lot of these dishes around here that have been retro-fitted with LNBF's for directv. The "face" of the new LNBF is just mated with the "holder" on the primestar dish then taped up or tied up. Just make sure the new LNBF is in close proximity to where the original one was. You want to try and maintain the optimum distance from the dish (focal depth).

Was your primestar dish missing the lnb and feedhorn, or did you just want to start out with a newer, better lnbf?

Just curious as I am fixing to put one of these up in the next two weeks to complement my 10 footer.

It had one. I want to improve my reception. I have heard that some people have gotten a 20-30 point improvement in sig quality.

The Primestar LNB's were a .7 or a .6
The Xtreme is a .3 so it will help

Was the Primestar LNB the one with 2 separate outputs for V & H or one?

9999 said:
It had one. I want to improve my reception. I have heard that some people have gotten a 20-30 point improvement in sig quality.

I'll probably go that route too. Was looking at the Invacom with the C120 mount so I could keep the same feedhorn. Got an Eagle Aspen 3x4 multiswitch that I'm going to use for the time being.

It had the V and H. Tried the extreme and saw no noticeable improvement. It was getting dark so I swithched back to the P*. Maybe this weekend if I have time I will take a tv outside and try to peak the extreme.

Iceberg said:
The Primestar LNB's were a .7 or a .6
The Xtreme is a .3 so it will help

Was the Primestar LNB the one with 2 separate outputs for V & H or one?

If you have a 40mm neck on the lnbf and you want to keep the plastic housing around it, the old Primestar bracket can be modified fairly easy to hold the lnbf.

See pic.

primlnb.jpg

Stats8 said:
If you have a 40mm neck on the lnbf and you want to keep the plastic housing around it, the old Primestar bracket can be modified fairly easy to hold the lnbf.

See pic.

View attachment 8042

What lnbf is this? I guess what I was asking was, did most people make the clamp themselves or is there a particular one already made that would fit.

MikeI said:
How did you get the Xtreme to fit? Did you use the ties?

I used one wire tie. I guess that would hold it permanetly but I removed it. I will try it again this weekend to see if I can peak it. On my trial, I got no gain in quality.

9999 said:
What lnbf is this? I guess what I was asking was, did most people make the clamp themselves or is there a particular one already made that would fit.

That is a Fortec LNB...standard 40mm throat on it

I know they have clamps like that at gardware stores.

The type of lnbf does not matter, its the diameter of the neck that does.
If you strip the plastic housing of the lnb, you will have a 20mm neck that
can be mounted in the Primestar bracket with almost no modification since
the bracket is meant for 20mm.

First pic, this is a dual bracket with a stripped lnbf, brand does not matter.

Second pic shows a Primestar bracket routed out to 40mm, so you can mount your lnbf, with the housing on, I suppose it does offer some weather protection this way.

Ice, the metal hold down is just a piece of band steel with a hole drilled in it.

strippedlnb.jpg

40mmcut.jpg

One thing about the original oval p* lnb's is that they are high stability units, even if by todays standards they have a high noise rating. Also the feedhorns on the oval units are designed to gather the maximum amount of signal from the dish, which aftermarket lnbf's wont do.

DrHydro, the scalar ring on the primestar lnbf does seem to be optimized for the oval dish.
As far as performance of an original primestar lnbf and a modern low noise lnbf, I have not seen test comparing the 2.
I am in the beginning stages of setting up a 40x30 primestar dish with a sg2100 motor and a QPH-031 lnbf.
Problem is it will need a 10' tower due to location, but I will test both type of lnbf when ready and report here with the results.

It's a bit sad when seeing buyers are trapped by the marketing hype of noise figure. A .3 noise lnbf with bad stability is worse than a 1.0 with good stability measurement.
Take at look at ku lnb that made commercially (Norsat as an example), none of them are measured at .3
A Norsat 1.0 High Stability beats a hell of of ANY 0.3 lnbfs any day in any condition!!!
Unfortunatly none of the Ku lnbfs come close to the Ku lnb.
FtaRock

drhydro said:
One thing about the original oval p* lnb's is that they are high stability units, even if by todays standards they have a high noise rating. Also the feedhorns on the oval units are designed to gather the maximum amount of signal from the dish, which aftermarket lnbf's wont do.

bryansr said:
I have taken PVC pipe and cut it down for fillers for LNB's that are too small also.

BryanSR

I called them spacers , but , yes , I have done the same thing .

Wyr

A .3 noise lnbf with bad stability is worse than a 1.0 with good stability measurement.

And the LO stability rating of those invacoms is like +- 1.0Mhz. That's horrible compared to any modern day commerical type LNB.

Another thing to keep in mind is there has to be some point of diminishing return with regard to noise figure. By this I mean there's got to be some point where the noise your dish picks up from adjacent satellites, space, and terrestrial interference (especially if the scaller ring isn't properly adjusted or the feedhorn isn't properly illuminating the dish) are going to be greater than the noise introduced by the LNB. This leads me to the conclusion that it's better to go with a larger dish and higher stability LNB than to worry much about noise figure ratings of an LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)