F connectors on back left side ?

W4ZOO

Original poster
Jun 12, 2004
What are the two F connectors on the left side (looking from rear) labeled with an antenna and a TV for the other.

I was interested if it passes the OTA antenna out ? or used for cable in and out. ?

Thanks

As far as I understand it does not pass RF out. I could really need that function for MYHDcard since the box does not like splitters.

These are pass-through (SD) coax connections. You can connect your cable or an analog OTA antenna to the one at the top and connect your SD TV set to the one at the bottom. It will pass through all the channels, except that VOOM will inset itself on one of the channels (ch.3, I think).

This is a great function, it saves having to split the signal more to feed another box. I have 2 HD stb's, a JVC DVHS deck and a DVD recorder with tuner that all need to be fed and I can do it with only a single split since my JVC also has a feed through connector.

DarrellP said:
This is a great function, it saves having to split the signal more to feed another box. I have 2 HD stb's, a JVC DVHS deck and a DVD recorder with tuner that all need to be fed and I can do it with only a single split since my JVC also has a feed through connector.

I don't understand. I have my OTA Sig coming in on the right. Can I use the bottom out on the left to a second STB for over the air. I'm trying to keep from splitting my OTA in on the right.

The RF connector with the antenna picture is for the UHF remote control antenna. Not used at this time. The RF connector with the TV picture is for RF coaxial output to your TV on CH3. Like a VCR RF output. I use this for whole house distribution of the video and audio to see Voom on non HD sets around the house.

W4ZOO said:
I don't understand. I have my OTA Sig coming in on the right. Can I use the bottom out on the left to a second STB for over the air.
I don't think so. The coax output on the the bottom left will only output one single channel from your STB (whatever your STB is currently tuned to). And it will be in analog SD (480i) form. The way I understand it (please someone correct me if I am wrong!), it will not pass the 8VSB (digital OTA) signal from the OTA tuner. Instead, it will take whatever your STB is sending out on all other video outputs (single channel: OTA or satellite), it will down-convert it to 480i and will modulate it as RF analog signal, the same way as analog OTA or cable signals are modulated, so that if you connect a TV set with a standard analog tuner it will show whatever the STB is currently tuned to on TV set's channel 3 (or 2). I hope I am making sense ;)

In addition to that, the same RF output can also pass through whatever is coming in on the RF input above it, e.g. your cable.

Indy said:
The RF connector with the antenna picture is for the UHF remote control antenna.
That's right. There are 5 coax RF connectors. The pass-through connectors we are talking about are on the left side:

DSR-550back.jpg

Ilya said:
I don't think so. The coax output on the the bottom left will only output one single channel from your STB (whatever your STB is currently tuned to). And it will be in analog SD (480i) form. The way I understand it (please someone correct me if I am wrong!), it will not pass the 8VSB (digital OTA) signal from the OTA tuner. Instead, it will take whatever your STB is sending out on all other video outputs (single channel: OTA or satellite), it will down-convert it to 480i and will modulate it as RF analog signal, the same way as analog OTA or cable signals are modulated, so that if you connect a TV set with a standard analog tuner it will show whatever the STB is currently tuned to on TV set's channel 3 (or 2). I hope I am making sense ;)

In addition to that, the same RF output can also pass through whatever is coming in on the RF input above it, e.g. your cable.

Ever channel that you can watch on the STB will pass through the 75 ohm RF output to a analog TV.

Indy said:
Every channel that you can watch on the STB will pass through the 75 ohm RF output to an analog TV.
Yes, but only one at a time ;)
In other words, you cannot use your TV set's tuner and its remote. You have to tune the TV set to one special channel#2 (or #3) and then use VOOM's remote to switch channels within the STB.

Ilya said:
Yes, but only one at a time ;)
In other words, you cannot use your TV set's tuner and its remote. You have to tune the TV set to one special channel#2 (or #3) and then use VOOM's remote to switch channels within the STB.

That is affirmative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts