F/D Ratio .278 LBN Seeking

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK,,, I got the LNB, Chaparral 20º,
with feed:Chaparral PR1E
Hook this up to G-Box?
What about the servo motor? How will that work,,,,via coax from coolsat?,,,,,or will I need to "Hard wire"?

Look at my KU wiring, in same picture below is QUESTIONED WIRING. (Page 4 @ 3:16 today)

Winefard as dish mover,,,,,

Then everything else is in question.

Last edited:
I've attached a diagram of one way to do this. No Chaparral feed, no Winegard receiver. You had mentioned using an A/B switch on the Coolsat to switch between your two dishes, so I went that way. There are other, possibly better, schemes that would allow the Coolsat to select the dish automatically, but I thought it best to start with this to make sure we are on the same page.

Attachments

• RobertW Diagram.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 179
Thanks to you all for your help. I got work to do, and Ideas to figure from all the post

You might take a day, and read the entire Geo Orbit web site as it relates to BUDs and their installation.
It'll give you a good grounding in all the technology. - :up
Also, it's a great future reference site for many questions that will come up.

edit:
Here is another thread we're working, with a lot of good basic info.
You could read through it and see if it's helpful.

Last edited:
I order the DMX-241, and use my coolsat on that. Then going to push/pull the 10ft with the winegard reciever.
Later I might get a 4dtv reciever, if this LNB works then fine.
The only difference between the coolsat and 4dtv is that of the deciphering, Right?

The only difference between the coolsat and 4dtv is that of the deciphering, Right?
No:
- Coolsat won't move the dish (without an external motor controller); 4d will
- Coolsat won't run the feedhorn skew motor; 4d will
- 4D receiver won't control external switches like diseqc or 22khz; Coolsat will
- 4D receives analog, and whatever they call their digital mode; Coolsat receives DVB, but that's prevalent
- Coolsat won't decode Dolby, just passes it through to external decoder; no idea on 4D
- comparing the two is like saying a diesel electric train is like a motorcycle; both'll get you there and both have seats, but that's about as close as they come. - :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OK, purchased the DMX741,,,,,,,no dieletric plate (installed already? Had to go to WSI for instructions, but none for buttonhook!
Scale for scaler,,, unknown position to instal scaler!
Deeee angle? if get top of arc, does it need to be at "0"?
Can I buttonhook the assembly or will I need arms? If arms, where can I get a 4 arm/leg assemblies for mesh 10 ft?
And darn it,,, last page and might not get too much more results for questions.

OK, purchased the DMX741,,,,,,,no dieletric plate (installed already? Had to go to WSI for instructions, but none for buttonhook!
Scale for scaler,,, unknown position to instal scaler!
Deeee angle? if get top of arc, does it need to be at "0"?
Can I buttonhook the assembly or will I need arms? If arms, where can I get a 4 arm/leg assemblies for mesh 10 ft?
And darn it,,, last page and might not get too much more results for questions.

Is the dielectric plate installed inside? If it is take it out until everything is working. You probably won't use it very much as there are very few circular C-band birds.

The scalar rings should be adjusted so the front of the rings is about 1.4" from the horn mouth. Normally a buttonhook bolts onto the scalar rings. You may have to drill some holes to get everything centered. There's no reason to consider putting on four arms unless you have very high winds that keep throwing off the alignment. Even in that case I would try guy wires, first.

I had this dish back in the 80's and there is only one feedhorn that performs good with this dish and that's Seavey.

Try find a Seavey feed on Ebay, otherwise you will not illuminate the whole dish with a Chaparral or any other standard feed.

And the golden ring from Chaparral was designed for high interference areas and not for making the feed work with deep dishes as some people beleive, i have tried a Chaparral feed and golden ring and compared with a Seavey feed and there is a huge difference in performance.

I have nothing against Seaveys, but other feeds can be modified to work fine as well on deep dishes. I've done this for both a single and dual ortho on my 3m Winegard. I've measured the performance and compared it to several other of my BUDs. If I could get any significant increase in gain I would be violating the laws of physics.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)