F type connectors - RG6 vs RG59?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skipswift

Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Ohio
Hi - hope I came to the right place :)

When my satellite TV was installed, the installer ran RG6 cable. I didn't have him install wall plates because I wasn't sure where I wanted them but I've since decided. Right now I just have the run of RG6 dropping down my drop ceiling. I'm going to fish it through the wall into a wall plate.

The installer told me to make sure that I used RG6 equipment when I finished the installation -- I have RG6 cable to run from the wall plates to my TVs but I was wondering about the through connector for the wall plate (not the connectors on the end of the cable) -- are there RG6 F type and RG59 F type through connectors to pass through the wall plates or are these all the same?

Separate question - assume gold plated is better than non-plated?

Thanks for the help.
S.

I believe that they are the same. I don't remember what the ones I used in the past were, but they worked fine for sat signals over rg-6 cable. They are basically just a barrel connection embedded into a plastic plate.

I believe that they are the same. I don't remember what the ones I used in the past were, but they worked fine for sat signals over rg-6 cable. They are basically just a barrel connection embedded into a plastic plate.

There are however ones with barrels that support higher frequencies. And for some Satellite uses you may need them.

How do I tell the difference between the regular connectors and the connectors for higher frequencies and where do I get them?

I've been looking at the keystone connectors at monoprice but they really don't differentiate between types other than to indicate RG6.

Thanks.

Generally, if the plastic piece inside the barrel (The name of the piece I think you are describing) is blue or red, it is a high frequency barrel and can be used for satellite. Any other color you are taking a chance that it may not work, may fail prematurely, or may cause higher than normal attenuation (signal loss) on high frequency signals (only some channels). You can purchase the correct barrels or wall plates for satellite from satelliteguys sponsor Dishstore.net

Wall plates: The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

or just the barrels: The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)