F_I_N_A_L_L_Y voomin

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeremys

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I think it was months ago when I 1st dialed get-voom. In fact, the installer had to go back and forth over the phone with them because they said I cancelled. The installer said, "Ok, well, then why am I out here on a call? What do we do now?". Hillarious. My install went like this:

1. 1st guy came out and refused to install. Claimed no LOS. When I mentioned that it looked like he had a clear shot, he said, "well, you wont get OTA either. The concrete building will prevent you from getting any channels." Before he even saw my balcony he said he wont install unless it is like an open field w/o any buildings or structures/trees in the way.

2. I let him go and posted here. People say send another out. 2nd comes out (doesnt have tripod even though 1st installer knew I needed one). He says there is no LOS, but if I trim this tree, he'll come back out and install.

3. I get apt complex to hack the hell out of this tree (twice). It looks like it got hit by a cessna. 2nd installer comes out again. "oh, I forgot my tripod.. I had it. Where is the closest radio shack?". So, I decide if he has to drill to hold the legs of the tripod, he might as well drill into the side of the balcony. Bye-bye deposit. He doesn't have flat ribbon cable either, but no biggie as my screen door doesnt close all the way anyways.

overall, install went well. Took a long time to get them on the phone for activation. My signal got as high as 94, but after he attached the OTA antenna , it settled down to 88-90. He didn't seem concerned to get it back to 94.

Scanned all locals 91-100!! so much for installer #1's advice.

I don't have an HDTV yet. I also have time warner to check it out. People think I am nuts, but I want to make sure I can get HD before I drop 4k on a flat panel.

funny observations:
looks like the SD channels look better on S-vid than component.

the PG or main screen looks much better when 720p was selected than 480i. Even though both displayed at 480i. I guess the firmware in the box doesn't need to be precise when drawing 480i image. So, the downconverted 720 looks better.

oh, and FWIW, channels were getting stuck/paused, but one reset cleared all this.

When I get a HD set soon, I will be able to compare PQ voom vs TWC. If voom holds, I'll probably drop TWC, depending on how much I like INHD HDNET (they have both).

thanks all for your help,
jeremy

Congratulations on your install. Hope you get your HDTV soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts