Fairbanks, Ak. -51 Below Zero

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpdretired

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 6, 2003
Lemont, Il.
Maybe we can get a response from our Alaskan members. I live in Lemont, Il. which is about 20 miles west of Chicago. The temperature has been above normal. Normal high is around 35. My home is 2900 sq. ft. I have two furnaces. One upstairs and one on the main living area. I try my best to conserve gas by turning the thermostats down at night. My last gas bill from Nicor was

It was $320.00 for 30 days. May we can get some input from our friends in Alaska about their heating bills.

Residents of Hawaii need not respond.

Last edited:
cpdretired said:
I was $320.00 for 30 days. May we can get some input from our friends in Alaska about their heating bills.

Residents of Hawaii need not respond.

Ouch... You should also exclude California, I spent less the $250 all last year for Gas here in SoCal. :D

I'm not in Fairbanks I'm in Anchorage but bill has gone up a little bit. In Anchorage we're in the middle of a cold snap it is usually around 5 to about -8 that's been going on for about two weeks now. I've never been in -50 weather but there are ways to winterize your house and keep your bill down.

pro96 said:
Ouch... You should also exclude California, I spent less the $250 all last year for Gas here in SoCal. :D
Yeah...but what do you spend on AC?

It's been almost 60 degrees the last two days here, but it's suppose to be a little closer to normal (mid 30s) tomorrow on. Our heating bill has been a little higher then normal, but gas prices are up. Overall usage is below our "normal" so far this year. It's been relatively mild.

While it may be -51 up in Fairbanks, I'm sure they are use to it. Also remember that snow makes a fairly decent insulator. Build your house right and it can take into account that extra mass to help insulate you from the bitter cold.

dragon002 said:
-51,,,,is it summer there already??

Got two or so more months before summer. It's actually pretty warm in the summer. It's just the winter is really cold most of the time.

Cold? In Alaska? Who'd'a thunk it? :D

Actually in my last two trips to AK I could believe how warm it was. Of course we are talking about late June early July. I want to take another road trip up there again. Love BC and Yukon trip and AK is nice!

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
Cold? In Alaska? Who'd'a thunk it? :D

Actually in my last two trips to AK I could believe how warm it was. Of course we are talking about late June early July. I want to take another road trip up there again. Love BC and Yukon trip and AK is nice!

See ya
Tony

Yeah those are usually the hottest months. I think it was about 2 years ago the temperature never dropped below 70 maybe even 80 until I think september.

cdru said:
Yeah...but what do you spend on AC?

I have a home in Ventura County where the temps don't usually go higher then 70-80f. So AC is used very little, if that.

Now my other home in West Hills, CA.. where temps reach 110-120f in the summer, we try not to be there when is that hot, that's when we escape to Ventura County. :D

Sandman441, any ashfall from that volcano erupting up there? I can deal with snow and cold, but you "Ring-of-Fire" dwellers can keep the Earth-barf...

Foxbat said:
Sandman441, any ashfall from that volcano erupting up there? I can deal with snow and cold, but you "Ring-of-Fire" dwellers can keep the Earth-barf...

There were some warnings but the closest one to me was in Girdwood. Luckily the volcano is on it's own island so if there is an eruption most likely it won't damage anything. I think the warnings were for Kodiak, Kenai, Seward, Homer, Girdwood. I think that was it.

I called up the map off of the Alaskian Volcano Observatory web site. Looks like Augustine is ~120 Km from Homer and roughly 300 Km from Seward. They fixed the webcam on the island (http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webcam/augustine2.php), but right now, either there's another eruption, or the sun's setting becasue it looks pretty dark.

Foxbat said:
I called up the map off of the Alaskian Volcano Observatory web site. Looks like Augustine is ~120 Km from Homer and roughly 300 Km from Seward. They fixed the webcam on the island (http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webcam/augustine2.php), but right now, either there's another eruption, or the sun's setting becasue it looks pretty dark.

It usually gets dark here about 3 pm.give or take.

EDIT -

I just heard that we could possibly get some ash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)