FamilyNet no longer on Dish Network

WayneG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Lexington, KY
Just got in from work at 6pm eastern time. FamilyNet and Educating Everyone/JCTV is off the air with a slate stating that Dominion/Sky Angel has enforced it's contractual right to prohibit Dish Network from carrying this (these) channels. Daystar is still on the air at this time.

I'm going to miss JCTV. I really liked their variety of Christian music videos. :(

How Christian-like! More proof that it all boils down to business. For those not on the story:

Two prominent Christian television networks are embroiled in a legal dispute with the country’s only Christian-based satellite TV company. The flap could end with the pair being removed from a satellite TV giant.

A federal appeals court recently suspended a July 9 injunction that would have led to the immediate removal of the Southern Baptist Convention’s FamilyNet and Daystar Television Network from Dish Network, which has approximately 9 million subscribers.

The action came after Dominion Sky Angel, a Christian organization licensed to operate a TV satellite, filed a lawsuit against Denver-based EchoStar Satellite, Dish Network’s parent company, citing the company violated a 1996 contract forbidding it to air any Christian programming besides Sky Angel’s.

Sky Angel uses the Dish Network satellite, but the company is independent and autonomous. Sky Angel president Bob Johnson said the exclusive contract with EchoStar also prohibits his company from airing anything but Christian programs.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/128/22.0.html

JCTV

JCTV is not currently offered by DISH Network.

But we have good news! You can sample JCTV on a shared channel with a network called " Educating Everyone." JCTV will air on channel 9413 Monday - Friday at 3:00PM Pacific Time to 5:00am Pacific Time and 24 hours on Saturdays.

If you enjoy watching JCTV and want DISH Network to carry JCTV 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, fill in the fields below to send a fax to DISH Network right now, saying "give me JCTV!"

I guess the national Daystar feed will remain on the air until the local feeds are back up in those markets that have a Daystar station. This was one of the reasons that Dish put up the national feed so they could bypass all of the local feeds. Of course Daystar liked the arrangement because it gave them access to more viewers.

If they remove DayStar I will be bummed I bought my 90 year old Grandma DISH so she could watch DayStar.

I hope they don't...

Can't believe their is actually this much hubub about it. More then 50 people even watch that?

Here's something I find quite strange about this disagreement. They pulled "Educating Everyone", which makes no sense in that it's NOT a Christian TV channel - it's a distance learning service (see uslda.org for info). JCTV and Church Channel evidently leased time on their channel - with or without EE's approval or participation.

I don't know how much programming EE actually has - no schedules are posted, but why should they (EE) be brought into this dispute? And why can't EE's programming continue without the TBN subchannels? I see them as an innocent victim of circumstance. They don't even remotely seem like a channel SkyAngel would be interested in - or have any business controlling access to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts