Farewell and thanks

minkbarn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
I just cancelled my Dish service as of one week from now. (We're downsizing and moving very soon.)

I've been thinking about cutting the cord for a long time, and this seemed like the right time to give that a try.

I've been with Dish for many years. It's been a good service, but I watch less and less regular tv, and stream more and more. Dish and cable don't seem right for us any more, and they continue to raise prices.

I want to thank the members of this board who have answered every question I've had from beginning to end. I've gotten a lot of good deals which were revealed here, and remedied several tech problems because of you.

I hope you all enjoy Dish, but for me it's time to move on.

Thanks.

I'm always curious - did they try to get you to stay . . and what did they offer you if they tried?

They sure did. They turned themselves inside out trying to get me to stay. But it's not even a choice. The new house has big trees to the south. I highly doubt I could get Dish even if I wanted it. Even after I explained this them, they still wouldn't stop trying to get me to stay. We never got as far as offers, because I just kept telling them it wasn't possible. The new house does have cable (unlike my current place) but we'll be just using the cable for internet, not TV.

Even after they understood I wouldn't keep Dish, they repeatedly tried to get me to transfer my account to someone else.

I've enjoyed Dish a lot over the years, just less so as time has gone on. Who knows, maybe I'll miss it, but recently I mostly stream shows from AcornTV. We'll add Netflix at the new place.

Well, don't leave completely. There are ota and streaming parts of satelliteguys too.

That's good suggestion. We're in a funny situation in that we can't get OTA. It's a hilly rural area too far from any cities. But the new house is close to a village, so cable internet is available, and that will be a step up from our current DSL. I will visit the streaming board and take a look.

Last edited:
these threads seem to be more common these days.

hopefully things work out for you. will be jumping ship soon as well.

Reactions: navychop
For you locals there is a little know package that all cable providers are required to carry, but they don't advertise it. It's a super basic which just you locals and a few other channels. Usually runs about $15 or less per month.

Reactions: navychop
My in laws left Comcast for Directv. They had free HBO from one of the predecessor cable companies due to something the cable company did to their house (I never understood). One year with directv, they switched back to Comcast, without their free HBO. I just shook my head.

For you locals there is a little know package that all cable providers are required to carry, but they don't advertise it. It's a super basic which just you locals and a few other channels. Usually runs about $15 or less per month.

Sadly those packages are closer to $25 than $15 nowadays.

Sadly those packages are closer to $25 than $15 nowadays.
exactly. Charter wanted 23.99 for the programming + 5.99 for a box and you pretty much need one. If you don't all you get is the Big 4 + PBS
Comcast in Minneapolis was like 21.48 or some goofy amount for lifeline.

I used to sub to the limited basic for around $10 to get a $15 discount on my broadband internet, until the price quickly rose to over $20 and it wasn't worth it anymore.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
In my area of New Hampshire Comcast charges $24.60 for Limited Basic plus $1.50 Broadcast TV Fee. One SD cable box (required because everything is scrambled) is included.

I had the lifeline pack with TWC. 2.5 years I went to cancel it. They mademe an offer I couldn'trefuse. For about $8 more per month they gave me full digital cable with a dvr and a box for 2 years. My 2 years ended and they want to raise my rates by over $30/mo. N ext day the 2 boxes were back at TWC and I said I wanted to cancel cable but stay with internet. Woman said they would be out in a few days to put the trap in the line. They haven't yet. I on.ly use TWC for MSG..

Big 4 + PBS sounds pretty much like lifeline to me.
there is more to lifeline than that. It includes all the locals and the subchannels (which is really good now). But they scramble (or make digital) the non big 4 nets. I know in Minneapolis it had CNN, TBS and WGN included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts