Fate of C Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I found this linked to on another site and went and read it. Sounds like some folks have already made up their minds and are just going through the motions. Let's hope I am just a bit paranoid.

FCC chairman ready to put 3.7-4.2 GHz on July agenda | FierceWireless

It would make more sense to use Ku instead of C-Band since the Ku satellites are much stronger and less prone to atmospheric conditions when transmitting and receiving digital signals. I wonder if anyone's considered the possibility that high cancer rates could be tied to the constant bombardment of microwave signals, both satellite and land based transmissions? If you remember, several studies were done involving microwave signals from cell phones, and all of a sudden, they just faded away. Imagine the money to be lost if they are linked to cancer.

I just sent a comment to my Congressman expressing my concerns about the situation and the apparent decision that the FCC chairman has already made, even before the comment period has ended.

No, the decision is not final. Those of you who are on this thread and commenting need to file your comment with the proper docket, 18-122 on the FCC website. We've had a thread on this for quite some time. Use this link for simple, easy filing, or...at the top of the page, put the objection in the Standard Filing page where you upload your full letter. You are, however a victim of believing headlines as written instead of perhaps "attention grabbers."

This could also get tied up in court big players getting involved satellite companies vs cell companies who has cash. Investors in both companies get involved too. Radio can this go to court can it be decided by judge?

No, the decision is not final. Those of you who are on this thread and commenting need to file your comment with the proper docket, 18-122 on the FCC website. We've had a thread on this for quite some time. Use this link for simple, easy filing, or...at the top of the page, put the objection in the Standard Filing page where you upload your full letter. You are, however a victim of believing headlines as written instead of perhaps "attention grabbers."

As Al Lewis, better known as Grandpa Munster, once said on the Howard Stern show... "F*ck the FCC!"

Why C-band? Why not Circular Ku, Ka-band? L-band? S-band? X-band? etc. Any legitimate reason? Aren't some of the other bands able to carry more bandwith at faster speeds?

That I don't know, although if you take the current neutrality issues, (please don't anyone steer us there, this is an example only) I suppose it could be.
You have to consider, EVERY network, radio and TV, every cable company, and even the small dish companies would be badly impacted by this if their downlinks were interrupted. As one person who wrote the FCC said, even the small dish UPLINK companies have to get their signals some...from C-band!
I think this is a case in which our FCC chairman is caught between a rock and a hard place. He's committed to local (AM) radio but many stations derive their broadcast day FROM c-band. It's a huge cliff he's standing on, and he may only have brought this up to prove that it cannot be done based on comments and objections, thus telling the wireless and other industries that would use the bandwidth, "find another way."

The FCC does sometimes do the right thing. They just shut down an objection to commercial radio AM stations having translators. Not just one objection, but 998 of them....and the FCC Said, "No!"....the translators can be built unless there are technical issues or cross complaints by other existing broadcasters, not by people crying because they can't be "entitled" to a low power FM in their area.

We can't afford not to have those letters uploaded to the FCC by the deadline.

good question! Wish I had a better answer.

What frequencies does the cell companies have why can't they improve on what they have like make 4g better?

An excellent question to address to a network engineer! My guess is that they'll say they're "maxed out" in users and need new ways to route traffic on new frequencies. Verizon has confirmed "too much congestion" in our area, with no plans to help us after multiple complaints by the public, sometimes our calls don't connect for many many seconds, or a minute, sometimes not at all....and when events like our fair are on, give up using cell. Personally I think the FCC is getting money hungry as a government organization and got used to auctioning bandwidth and kind of LIKES doing it. As evidenced (the money hungry part) in asking commercial c band users to pay to register our dishes. We decided not-to at WION radio, the protection is minimal or none, and the money cannot be justified to the FCC for something we've owned for years!

Reactions: danristheman
They took a long time to get 4g in our area but we have problems around here with the lakes. T mobile has already set up a tower on Hoosier Hill for at 400 or 600 MHz. They are getting greedy with selling off frequencies that they don't own WE do. I think with the satellite companies with money they have lawyers too I don't think they are going to give up easily they can tie this up courts for years if they want to.

... he may only have brought this up to prove that it cannot be done based on comments and objections, thus telling the wireless and other industries that would use the bandwidth, "find another way."

We can't afford not to have those letters uploaded to the FCC by the deadline.

My reason for posting was to make the point that maybe, that is maybe, some have already made their minds up. But, as Radio stated, the announcement of bringing forth at hearing, may be entirely to shut it down (the attempt to usurp C-Band). By having the hearing and forcing the vote, they could be trying to stop it so they can move on to other matters. Let's hope that.

As Radio said, write a comment and get it there before the deadline. To not say anything to them through the process, is the same as saying go ahead we don't care.

Reactions: norman881
And not only voice our concerns to the FCC, send them to our representatives in Washington as well. They claim they are representing us, well they need to prove it.

the cable companies tried "KU" band years ago and found it was not susceptible and went back to "C" band. A lot of back hauls are on the "C" band.
5G was scheduled for 15ghz. the problem with that band is needs lots of cell cites. With people and their mobile phones they are band with hogs.
i watch PBS on KU and with my 6 ft dish still have atmosphere attenuation the worst is on horz polarity.

Oh, they won’t dare use S or X band. These are radar bands, very much in use. Flip a single switch, and every receiver is TOAST!
:devilish

Look up US Frequency Allocation Chart.

I’m just SICK and tired of this “new” FCC who doesn’t care about the American Public. And to think that Dish, Directv, Comcast, and other providers would out “pay” (lobby) the mobile providers. I’ll try to file my comment on C Band later this week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts